Nitrogen Levels / Seaweed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Those mature ones look beautiful! I only wish someday mine will grow like that!

My plants look like your young hop plants only they are taller. So far mine have been holding up well to the extreme heat we have been getting. It may reach up to 112F by this weekend depending upon which weather forecast you listen to. That brings me to your PVC structure.

I really like the design. This morning I was thinking about next year and a trellis system that would be in another location. I was wondering with this extreme heat, if the PVC would hold up and not bend or warp due to the heat and weight of the plants. I was thinking I may need something stronger like steel or aluminum similar to what is used in the iBex growing system.

While you are in a cooler location, have you experienced any bending or warping of the PVC?

The pvc is doing alright. Have not noticed any deformities from heat, only looks like it is bending due to wind, but that is only where I have it joined together by pinning it. I chose 3" for the weight bearing application, and 2" for the distance apart portion. It creaks a bit in the wind which freaks the wife completely out, when she is out near it. Keeps telling me it is gonna fall. I could make the noise go away if I glued everything, but that defeats it from being able to be dissambled. For the amount of plants it holds, I am seriously considering going with a uni-strut construction trellis project. Might be a tad bit pricey, but not $900 dollars pricey for a single strand to a single plant😁.

Thanks for the update. That may push me to design something stronger. I agree with you that $900 is pricey. When I shopped similar materials that are used in their system for a 30' length trelis, the cost was $400-$450.

I like your idea of using uni-strut materials....which would bring the cost down even further.

Back