Nitro bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to bottle the last bit of my choc milk stout. I cant remember the guy on here that made a beer gun out of a picnic tap and the siphon tube . It works great . Why is it when you bottle a beer with nitro the nitro totally falls out . To be clearer I have a great cascade and nice creamy head . But when I bottle then open later theres absolutely no nitro.

Because the nitrogen is barely in the solution. The effect you see is the CO2 being knocked out of the solution by the stout faucet.

Exactly. The nitrogen component in beer gas is there for propulsion without significantly increasing the dissolved gas content, with the goal of slamming the beer through the restrictor plate in a stout faucet...

Cheers!

Young's uses nitro widgets in their canned chocolate stout, but the effect is forgettably small imo, nothing like what I get from my stout faucet...

Cheers!

Have you ever had a nitro Merlin milk stout? They dont use widgets . You roll the can upside down a few times. Then pour by inverting the can . Nice cascade and a really good beer

Haven't had that one, have had Lefthand's Milk Stout in an allegedly nitro'd (somehow) bottle.
A hugely unimpressive beer, imo...

Cheers!

This is my Dbl roll choc milk stout.
20181129_180039_1.gif

Back