NHC peeps, hoppy saison question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So this year for the NHC, one of the beers I want to enter is a hoppy saison. Technically from what I’ve read saison is a general term and can really cover a broad spectrum. But I know the NHC/BJCP try to work within certain guidelines. So where would you put a hoppy saison around 7% ABV? In the saison category or the experimental? I want to give it the best chance of scoring well without getting dinged for not being “true to style” but i feel it could get lost in experimental beer.

Yeah man, that’s the tough thing about competitions, if it’s not brewed to the exact style guidelines, you will not score well. BJCP judges are strict about that, as they should be, but a lot of dynimate beers score poorly and mediocre beers can score decently well. Since I haven’t tasted your beer I can’t know for sure but if the hops are really forward, I’d stay away from the saison category because the malt and yeast are what makes that style. You’ll lose serious points in the two biggest categories aroma and flavor. You could look into the 34b category “mixed style” you will just need to declare what styles category you want each component to be judged on. Good luck

Yeah man, that’s the tough thing about competitions, if it’s not brewed to the exact style guidelines, you will not score well. BJCP judges are strict about that, as they should be, but a lot of dynimate beers score poorly and mediocre beers can score decently well. Since I haven’t tasted your beer I can’t know for sure but if the hops are really forward, I’d stay away from the saison category because the malt and yeast are what makes that style. You’ll lose serious points in the two biggest categories aroma and flavor. You could look into the 34b category “mixed style” you will just need to declare what styles category you want each component to be judged on. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. I guess I could always go with 21B specialty IPA: Belgian IPA

Thanks for the reply. I guess I could always go with 21B specialty IPA: Belgian IPA
That actually may be a good one. If your hops are there it might be the call.

This summer I screwed up and entered my NEIPA incorrectly into the 21a category and was judged based on an American Ipa. Scored a 32/50. Afterwards I spoke to the 3 bjcp certified judges to get some advice how to improve the beer and they all told me not to change anything that it was perfect. One of the best beers they drank that day but unfortunately it was entered incorrect and I had to be judge in the 21a category, which it was to unbalanced between hops and malt and my bitterness was not there. Don’t make my mistake lol. Drink your beer while looking through those categories and see which one you think it fits best in.

Back