NHC competition - can't register, server slammed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what competition software they are using this year? I had heard from another judge at a competition earlier this year that they were using different software, and I want to make sure I don't use that one for the next competition my club runs.

Looks like Better Beer Scores, LCC.

Anyone know what competition software they are using this year? I had heard from another judge at a competition earlier this year that they were using different software, and I want to make sure I don't use that one for the next competition my club runs.
i've used this system for another competition, and it works really well. problem here is that thousands of people are hitting the site at the same time. so it's probably the hardware & network that can't handle the load, not the software.

for a small comp, this system works great.

Everytime I log in and try to register an entry I either get server error or Please register or log in to access this area.

ugh its an endless loop

if (serverSucks){
1) log in
2) add entry
3) server times out
4) refresh
5) you need to be logged in to register
}
Else{praise God;}

Coincidentally, my AHA membership is up for renewal this month.

Good luck. When I renewed two years ago, it took six weeks and many e-mails to try and track down my membership #; let alone my new card....

I renewed for three years because I knew it would be a pain in the ass. Probably won't renew after this expires. The last couple years of NHC issues are leaving a sour taste in my mouth, and the benefits don't seem to be too great...

ugh its an endless loop

if (serverSucks){
1) log in
2) add entry
3) server times out
4) refresh
5) you need to be logged in to register
}
Else{praise God;}

Yep--as of 3:49, the Atlanta region shows: "48 of 750 entries have been logged for this region."

i've used this system for another competition, and it works really well. problem here is that thousands of people are hitting the site at the same time. so it's probably the hardware & network that can't handle the load, not the software.

for a small comp, this system works great.

Well when we ran it last year we had about 400 entries. Think it's OK for that number?

Generally our registrations have been increasing across the board around here. I would expect the next one to be substantially larger; maybe 600ish?

I love how they encourage everyone to enter early and, yet, don't have the infrastructure to handle everyone trying to get in when it opens.

Good luck. When I renewed two years ago, it took six weeks and many e-mails to try and track down my membership #; let alone my new card....

I renewed for three years because I knew it would be a pain in the ass. Probably won't renew after this expires. The last couple years of NHC issues are leaving a sour taste in my mouth, and the benefits don't seem to be too great...

That's about where I'm at. I don't consider Zymurgy to be enough reason for a membership, and the only other thing I use it for is NHC entries.

Looks like Atlanta has 42....Everyone is probably stuck on the add entry screen. I'm dreading how the payment is going to go down.

Well when we ran it last year we had about 400 entries. Think it's OK for that number?

Generally our registrations have been increasing across the board around here. I would expect the next one to be substantially larger; maybe 600ish?

If you want, I can check with ollllllllllllllllllllllllo. Our Oktoberfest competition has had about that many entries and their software worked great.

That's about where I'm at. I don't consider Zymurgy to be enough reason for a membership, and the only other thing I use it for is NHC entries.

Ditto.

I'll probably stick with local comps for feedback. Soaring entry fees and crappier servers isn't a good model.

I'm dreading how the payment is going to go down.

:drunk:

I'm dreading how the payment is going to go down.
ding ding ding.

i'm trying to pay for my one entry that i did get in, so at least i have something (entry isn't confirmed until paid), and i've now TWICE filled in the credit card screen and gotten a 404 on the payment confirmation page!

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.​

UPDATE: my credit card account is showing two pending charges of $12, but the website still says "unpaid".

sh*t-show just got kicked up a notch.

I have been trying since 2:00 exact, was able to get one entry through at 2:21, been trying to get my second ever since. This is torture.

Looks like Atlanta has 42....Everyone is probably stuck on the add entry screen. I'm dreading how the payment is going to go down.

I paid for the one I could enter (Ohio) just in case, and according to my card it's posted, got an email receipt, site says it's not paid. So who knows.

Announcement from the AHA:

"Dear NHC Entrants:

We are aware of the ongoing problems with respect to slow response times from our entry software. These issues come as a shock to us, since we assumed nobody would be entering the NHC this year. However, you may take comfort in knowing that even if you become frustrated and decide not to submit any entries, somebody will be all-too-glad to take your place.

You may rest assured that we are taking this issue seriously. We pledge to have the exact same system in place next year. Nobody will care whether you enter beers then, either.

Best regards,

AHA"

I have 5 brews to enter but only got 1 in before the site completely gave up for me. I then tried paying for it and got an error screen, but just got an email confirming the payment for 1 entry. This is so incredibly frustrating.

Announcement from the AHA:

That's a *little* unfair, as I'm sure Janis is pulling her hair out right about now. That said, this process is worse (from my end) than signing up for actual NHC tickets was last year. There's something broken here.

Was able to register right away and now I've been getting error screens for the last hour while trying to enter just one beer. This is awful.

Got 1 entry submitted and paid for. Hoping to get my other 3 submitted today.

Yeah, seeing the same here, their servers are getting slaughtered. Milwaukee appears to be completely broken - while the others at least let you register your profile...

But I cannot add an Entry for the life of me, 503 Unavailable every time. Curses...

If I weren't using up a free entry voucher that expires this year, I would have given up by now...........

Refresh.

Refresh.

Refresh.

The definition of insanity: repeating the same behaviour but expecting a different result.

Refresh.

Refresh.

Refresh.

Holy crap it finally took one of my entries after over an hour of trying. Still not paid for, though. I'll try doing that after I get the others registered.

Seems like the server just opened up big time. Was able to get my second beer entered and paid for with no trouble. Glad I entered the American IPA first since that category is full for San Diego now.

Started to sail through, only to get a 404 after trying to submit my payment!

I was afraid of that...I'll go try over again. Hopefully I won't find myself charged twice like sweetcell...(or three times, or four times...)

Back