NHC $800+ is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
NHC is in Baltimore this year, driving distance for me,
I've never been to NHC, but wondering if its worth the time/expense.

Admission $220
Room 3 nights x $150= $450
Parking, Meals $200

Cheaper rooms can be found, but not interested in driving after drinking.
Also, I work in law enforcement in Maryland and I can tell you for sure that there are certain areas in Baltimore that I would not want to go, even armed.
So, besides trashing Baltimore for it's sky high violent crime rate, I'm wondering if the whole NHC experience is worth taking time off work and $800-900?

I live about a 35 minute drive from center city Baltimore, and I still booked a hotel room. There's no way I'm gonna be able or even want to drive back home, even from a suburban Lightrail station. Besides public transportation has ceased by the time the party is over.

The area around the Convention Center is fairly safe, but walk 6 blocks in any direction and it may change suddenly, although it's not clearly visible where you shouldn't go.

Hotels within walkable distance from the CC are actually closer to $200 a night, after taxes, and that doesn't include parking, adding another $20-30/24hrs or more.

The experience is one of a kind, and it changed my (beer) life 3 years back in Philadelphia. I never knew there was so much good beer around and it can be all brewed at home. The seminars were mostly OK, only a few were exemplary. The "Liberty Well" social club was the best place to hang out, and between Pro Night and Club Night, then back to the Liberty Well until the wee hours, there was not much else to wish for. Some people went on field trips, visiting breweries and certain craft bars, or doing a bar crawl.

So the $220 for registration is well worth the money. The rest hmm, it does add up to get to participate. Share a room with someone, so both your lodging is cut in half.

Unless you expect to win a prize in the homebrew competition or have friends that do, skip the banquet. The clapping and cheering gets old, fast. Unless you dig those kinda things.

I have been going since Oakland so this will be my 8th year. I don't think you can quantify worth of a vacation. Actually if you think going to a local one is steep, you may want to stay away to prevent getting hooked. It will sting next year when you need to factor in 700 for airfare.

I want to go but it is a pretty steep price to pay. I've heard it's a ton of fun though but so is taking a vaca with the family for about the same price. The wife and I did an anniversary in Bmore one year and stayed at Hotel Monico and got the aquarium package. Nice hotel with good accommodations like valet parking. It's a fun city as long as you stay where it's safe. Like someone said above, you can all of a sudden walk into a bad area without warning.

I have been going since Oakland so this will be my 8th year. I don't think you can quantify worth of a vacation. Actually if you think going to a local one is steep, you may want to stay away to prevent getting hooked. It will sting next year when you need to factor in 700 for airfare.

I generally spend about $1500 for the NHC. Between airfare, registration, and the room, and factoring in just a few meals, it's easily that for me. I also have never found someone to share a room, which would cut the costs by $300 right there. Most guys can find someone to share a room if they want, I'm sure. There aren't very many solo women attending.

I'm not going to make it this year, but I've gone to most NHCs since 2008 (and seen Bobby at most of those!). It's a great way to sample great beers, meet 5000 other homebrewers, learn from the greats, and improve your own brewing. It definitely is a one-of-a-kind vacation.

I've become very good friends with a number of the brewers I've come to know through the NHC, and it's always a highlight of the year for me.

Off topic but shouldn't we get the national guard to clean up Baltimore. There shouldn't be any place in America that a trained and armed policeman would fear to go.

South Baltimorean family man checking in. Baltimore is a very complicated city with a whole host of systemic problems. It's also a wonderful city full of interesting and welcoming people.

If anyone has reservations about going, that's their prerogative, but in my opinion anyone attending the conference will have a wonderful time and should not be concerned about safety in the areas in and around the convention center and hotels.

I'm going. I was going to go to San Diego, but plans changed. That would have ran me upwards of $1500-$2000 due to lodging and plane tickets.

I think it will be worth it. It is money, but it's a vacation, even if it is BMore.

Any locals know of better places to park than the hotels? Any lots where I can park on Wednesday and not come back till Sunday, or do you have to move the car out and back in everyday? I know there are other lots around the harbor, I have been to concerts, Hammer jacks, Orioles and Thunder games, but that was 20 something years ago...

My Hotel wants 30 bucks a day to park.

http://baltimore.org/article/parking-baltimore

https://www.parkingpanda.com/baltimore-inner-harbor-parking#start=06/08/2016&end=06/12/2016

Check this out. I have never used parking panda but this comes out to about $15 a day.

This is a very convoluted way but it will cost $8 a day plus the cost of the light rail and travel time. Park in the long term parking lot of BWI airport. You then have to take the shuttle to the airport. Then walk to the light rail station, buy a light rail ticket and take the light rail to the inner harbor.

A few years ago, I took a cruise out of the inner harbor and we used the Light Rail to get from the Airport (we flew) to downtown.

Any locals know of better places to park than the hotels? Any lots where I can park on Wednesday and not come back till Sunday, or do you have to move the car out and back in everyday? I know there are other lots around the harbor, I have been to concerts, Hammer jacks, Orioles and Thunder games, but that was 20 something years ago...

My Hotel wants 30 bucks a day to park.

Also just had the thought that if the hotel or Conference offered a shuttle from the airport it would make parking at the long term lot even more attractive.

My 2 cents on Baltimore.

Love the inner harbor. Grew up in Virginia but my family is from Baltimore so I have many fond memories of going to O's games in the old Memorial Stadium and games in the Great Camden Yards. The Aquarium and other inner harbor attractions like the Science Museum, The Historic Ships, and Fort McHenry are great. Not to mention eating steamed crabs. Using the water taxi to get to Fort McHenry or a Restaurant is cool. Take the whole family and they will have lots to do while you are at the convention.

http://www.baltimorewatertaxi.com
http://www.historicships.org
http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm
http://baltimore.org/neighborhoods-maps-transportation/fells-point
http://www.aqua.org
http://www.mdsci.org

Using the water taxi to get to Fort McHenry or a Restaurant is cool. Take the whole family and they will have lots to do while you are at the convention.

Baltimore also has a network of free buses that service the downtown area that is geared for tourist and commuters. From the convention center area you can most if not all of the activities you've listed. Headways on most routes are between 5 to 10 minutes (the Banner route to Fort McHenry runs about every 15 to 20).

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/

ONLINE_All_Routes_Map_121815.jpg

Admission $220
Parking, Meals $200

Also, I work in law enforcement in Maryland and I can tell you for sure that there are certain areas in Baltimore that I would not want to go, even armed.
So, besides trashing Baltimore for it's sky high violent crime rate, I'm wondering if the whole NHC experience is worth taking time off work and $800-900?

This will be my 10th or 11th NHC. It's an amazing experience that every homebrewer should do at least once And chances are that if you do it once, you'll want to do it again.

I chose not to go last year in San Diego (3 hours away) and I don't regret it. Just couldn't convince myself that dropping 700 dollars to drink beer is a good idea. If you are an AHA member they put all the seminars online. Which IMO is the allure of the NHC.

I chose not to go last year in San Diego (3 hours away) and I don't regret it. Just couldn't convince myself that dropping 700 dollars to drink beer is a good idea. If you are an AHA member they put all the seminars online. Which IMO is the allure of the NHC.

I disagree.

I didn't go to any seminars in San Diego. :)

The whole social aspect is what's worth it to me. I was on the way to a couple seminars, but always got side tracked by running into people saying "Hey, you gotta go to this booth in the trade show or hospitality suite and try xyz beers/meads/ciders"

And club night, in my opinion, is worth the whole cost....

Depending on your homebrewing experience level, the seminars are either super exciting, or "been there, done that". Even with my many years of experience I found several seminars to attend and learned a bit, even if it was only more questions that intrigued me.

Some of the seminars should be attended simply because of the presenters. Some of those guys are real characters. I'm not naming names, or anything.

*Cough*Denny*Cough*

Last edited:
I disagree.

The whole social aspect is what's worth it to me. I was on the way to a couple seminars, but always got side tracked by running into people saying "Hey, you gotta go to this booth in the trade show or hospitality suite and try xyz beers/meads/ciders"

I think I went to one or two in San Diego. I know I went to @Denny 's and Drew's seminar- because they are a hoot, and I actually learn things from them all the time!

There are tons of them, and I recommend the seminars, but I've really been to many over the years and few really grab my interest these days. When I went to the first three or four, I went to as many as I could and even took notes.

The high points for me are club night, and the pro brewer's night (or whatever it is these days?). Having Sam Calagione pour me a beer and talk about it, or Vinnie Cilurzo asking me how I like one of the beers he poured for me is pretty fun- and I really welcome the opportunity to sample a thousand other homebrews, including many award winners.

Some of the best parts you may never hear about. For example, AZ_IPA setting up his own booth at NHC 2014 out of a garbage can, for some of us HBT folks. And that was the year he won Ninkasi, so that was pretty great.

Last year, I was sampling some meads at a friend's booth and @mabrungard walked by. I grabbed his arm and said, "Hey, c'mon- you gotta try this!" and we had some very special "unadvertised specials" together.

There are many more stories, like me getting a little more than tipsy with John Palmer and with @SoperBrew pole dancing on a bus- but usually what happens at NHC stays at NHC......................................:D

I disagree.

Maybe I am just not a social person..:D

Also just had the thought that if the hotel or Conference offered a shuttle from the airport it would make parking at the long term lot even more attractive.

My 2 cents on Baltimore.

Love the inner harbor. Grew up in Virginia but my family is from Baltimore so I have many fond memories of going to O's games in the old Memorial Stadium and games in the Great Camden Yards. The Aquarium and other inner harbor attractions like the Science Museum, The Historic Ships, and Fort McHenry are great. Not to mention eating steamed crabs. Using the water taxi to get to Fort McHenry or a Restaurant is cool. Take the whole family and they will have lots to do while you are at the convention.

http://www.baltimorewatertaxi.com

http://www.historicships.org

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

http://baltimore.org/neighborhoods-maps-transportation/fells-point

http://www.aqua.org

http://www.mdsci.org

Awesome stuff! Thanks for the 411!

Personally, I think it's worth it. I made the 'mistake' of doing my first in Grand Rapids, and now I would feel like I was missing out if I didn't go to another. Meeting "beer famous" people is a fun aspect of things, too.

I've found I have a much better time when I have something to contribute. Didn't really enjoy SD, but had none of my creations to share. Next time I fly to an NHC ima have to ship some goodies to a local first I think.

I've found I have a much better time when I have something to contribute. Didn't really enjoy SD, but had none of my creations to share. Next time I fly to an NHC ima have to ship some goodies to a local first I think.

I usually bring a wine check with some things in it since I almost always bring stuff home. By the way, congrats on the meads and cider advancing!

Pretty much decided I'm not going, I have too many other things to spend time/money on I suppose. Also, I'm a 2-3 beers and done person, so being around lots of great beer would be a problem for me, hope y'all have a good time though.

I'm only an hour away and had my room already booked ready to attend my first AHA, but plans have changed...oh well, i'll save that $1000+ i would have spent and put it towards next year's convention that will hopefully be in a (nicer) city i've never been to.

Does anyone who lives in PA actually work in PA? :confused: ;)

But I can concur. I worked private ambo in Baltimore for years before getting hired on by a career county department and we wouldn't even stop for stop signs in northwest Baltimore (even without lights and sirens). Spent and still spend A LOT of time in Baltimore punishing my liver as well. Fortunately, despite last years events and the ever-increasing murder rate, most of the popular watering holes are well away from the bad areas. The Inner Harbor (where the NHC will be) is generally "safe", relatively speaking.

I recommend all homebrewers go to NHC at least once, it's a great experience. I've been to NHC in Baltimore 2005, Philly in 2013, and next weekend will be my third.

II'm not going to make it this year

Boooooooooo! :(:(:(

Admission $220
Parking, Meals $200

Yes, go. You wont regret it. Im on the west coast and did my first nhc last year in san diego. It was a great time.

I went to school in baltimore and live about a half hour south of the city now. Its one of my favorite cities. Sure, the wire is an accurate portrayal of parts of baltimore, but not the parts you will frequent. Dont let concerns about crime stop you from attending.

This will be my first NHC. Its certainly not cheap but luckily I live nearby and can commute via train for about $40/day.

Yes, go. You wont regret it. Im on the west coast and did my first nhc last year in san diego. It was a great time.

Decided to skip it, but instead used the money to upgrade my fermentation
equipment, buy some cider apple trees, camping equipment and a new (used) guitar. Hope you all have a great time though. :mug:

Back