NHC 2015 - Registration Open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! I would be too nervous too wait that close to the deadline. I mailed my speciality cider on 5/22 and it will get there on 5/29. Can't imagine how much it will cost you to overnight. I am on the iPad and can't see your location. I got extremely lucky with my entry. I had exactly 3 bottles left. I didn't think mine had a chance.

Good luck! I would be too nervous too wait that close to the deadline. I mailed my speciality cider on 5/22 and it will get there on 5/29. Can't imagine how much it will cost you to overnight. I am on the iPad and can't see your location. I got extremely lucky with my entry. I had exactly 3 bottles left. I didn't think mine had a chance.

Looks like it will be $128 if I can get it into a 12x12x12 box and $108 if I use smaller bottles and a 10x10x10 box.

Surprisingly for a wee heavy it is very drinkable at 3 weeks with only a mild chill haze. I'm now a huge fan of Servomyces. I just need to carbonation of smooth out a bit.

My wife doesn't want the stress of delivering it in person, but I guess after the baggage fee and Uber ride I'd be about $70 in anyway..

GTLA :rockin:

Looks like it will be $128 if I can get it into a 12x12x12 box and $108 if I use smaller bottles and a 10x10x10 box.

Surprisingly for a wee heavy it is very drinkable at 3 weeks with only a mild chill haze. I'm now a huge fan of Servomyces. I just need to carbonation of smooth out a bit.

My wife doesn't want the stress of delivering it in person, but I guess after the baggage fee and Uber ride I'd be about $70 in anyway..

I had similar quotes when I setup my shipment today. Decided to go with 3-day shipping for ~$65 in a 12" cube. I used a ton of bubble padding and an ice pack used to ship vaccines that stays cold for a good long while (it pays to be married to a doctor :ban:), so hopefully everything will get there by Friday without issue.

I had similar quotes when I setup my shipment today. Decided to go with 3-day shipping for ~$65 in a 12" cube. I used a ton of bubble padding and an ice pack used to ship vaccines that stays cold for a good long while (it pays to be married to a doctor :ban:), so hopefully everything will get there by Friday without issue.

But when do they get chilled once they reach the destination and what temp do they keep them stored? I can't see them having a cooler big enough to store all the entries, but I could be wrong. I don't if going to all that effort is worth it. Just my opinion though.

But when do they get chilled once they reach the destination and what temp do they keep them stored? I can't see them having a cooler big enough to store all the entries, but I could be wrong. I don't if going to all that effort is worth it. Just my opinion though.

Honestly my main concern was keeping the beer cool enough to keep my quad from becoming a bottle bomb due to all the jostling associated with a cross-country tour. It's actually going to be hotter here in NEPA than it will be in San Diego this week. That said, I'm sure the NHC people have lined up fridge space for the entries -- it can still get kinda warm over there.

Yikes. Mine was ~$13 (10x10x10 for my two entries) sent today and to be delivered thursday with regular shipping. Glad to be next door to CA this year!

Just a guess, but they'll go into cold storage as they're processed or by June ~3rd at the latest. Again, just a guess...

Since they are going to a brewery..... I am assuming they are getting stored in a walk in cooler almost immediately.

Yikes. Mine was ~$13 (10x10x10 for my two entries) sent today and to be delivered thursday with regular shipping. Glad to be next door to CA this year!

Just a guess, but they'll go into cold storage as they're processed or by June ~3rd at the latest. Again, just a guess...

Yeah.... Michigan was a nicer ship last year for me:)

Curious.... How did you ship yours last year when you had to ship to Michigan? Obviously, it worked:mug:

Curious.... How did you ship yours last year when you had to ship to Michigan? Obviously, it worked:mug:

I shipped regular ol' UPS ground. Think it took 5-6 days to get there.

And, my beer are bottled conditioned, so a bit of time and warmth didn't hurt them. :)

Mine arriving today. Shipped ground from MS. $26.

San Diego, CA, United States 05/27/2015 4:56 A.M. Out For Delivery

Michigan was better for me last year too.. since I live 3 miles from the brewery that was collecting the entries. :D This year I get to hope that UPS drives at night, highs are supposed to hit over 100 in AZ/NV early next week!

Shipped my "yeast samples" today via FedEx. Only $9 for two-day air from Austin... Gotta love the airline discount! [emoji574]️[emoji482]

Since they are going to a brewery..... I am assuming they are getting stored in a walk in cooler almost immediately.

My thinking was that a brewery wouldn't have that much empty cooler space to store them and keep them organized. I might be wrong, totally just my thinking. I am not worried, I think it would be okay if stored in 70 degree range.

Yeast samples sent via Fedex ground. GA to CA $18. Please handle with care! Good luck all. Anyone know if live webcast is on for 6/13?

Last edited:
I re-read the thread but can't find a conclusive answer - could someone tell me where we landed with address?

I re-read the thread but can't find a conclusive answer - could someone tell me where we landed with address?

Depending on your shipper, they may have the new address as valid in their system (FedEx didn't), but if they don't, ship to 9990 EMPIRE ST with all the other information being the same.

Depending on your shipper, they may have the new address as valid in their system (FedEx didn't), but if they don't, ship to 9990 EMPIRE ST with all the other information being the same.

Yeah, my UPS store didn't have the new address, but they had the brewery in their system, and just taped the label from NHC's website in addition to their label.

Mine are out for delivery today....hope they make it intact!

Per Janis Email

The shipping location is a new location for AleSmith Brewing Company in San Diego. If your shipper does not recognize this address as a commercial location—

AleSmith Brewing Company
9990 AleSmith Ct
San Diego, CA 92126

please use this address instead:

AleSmith Brewing Company
9990 Empire St
San Diego, CA 92126

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Shipped for 6/2 delivery from MI for a surprisingly affordable $43.

delivered.
Now the truck carrying Jeff Carlson's entries just needs to have an accident and my Cidermaker of the Year award will be in the bag.

delivered.
Now the truck carrying jeff carlson's entries just needs to have an accident and my cidermaker of the year award will be in the bag.

:)

image1.PNG

Just received this alert, that can't be good news....

Exception Reason: WE'VE HELD THE PACKAGE AT THIS FACILITY. THIS MAY CAUSE A DELAY.

Just received this alert, that can't be good news....

Exception Reason: WE'VE HELD THE PACKAGE AT THIS FACILITY. THIS MAY CAUSE A DELAY.

I wonder if they inspected your "yeast samples" and figured out they were being played. Or maybe a bottle exploded?

On a related note, I once emailed the AHA and asked if they were doing anything to work with FedEx/UPS to allow us to more easily ship beer without misrepresenting our package contents, and the response was that they're trying to convince the USPS and TTB to permit shipping homebrew, and that we should keep using "euphemistic language" with the other carriers.

My thought is, if FedEx and UPS already allow shipment of beer (from distributors, etc.), why not work with them first? Or is it thought that if USPS allowed shipping homebrew the other companies would loosen their restrictions as well?

I wonder if they inspected your "yeast samples" and figured out they were being played. Or maybe a bottle exploded?

On a related note, I once emailed the AHA and asked if they were doing anything to work with FedEx/UPS to allow us to more easily ship beer without misrepresenting our package contents, and the response was that they're trying to convince the USPS and TTB to permit shipping homebrew, and that we should keep using "euphemistic language" with the other carriers.

My thought is, if FedEx and UPS already allow shipment of beer (from distributors, etc.), why not work with them first? Or is it thought that if USPS allowed shipping homebrew the other companies would loosen their restrictions as well?

If anything happened (let's hope not) I'm guessing a bottle exploded. My package got on a truck on Thursday in Chicago and wasn't unloaded until last night, which means it spent some considerable time in the desert heat. I did ziploc bag the bottles twice and put everything in a garbage bag, so I did about as much as I think I could have. But, in that heat, my highly carbed Belgian may not have survived. Odd thing is, the tracking info said it was out for delivery earlier this morning. Who knows...

If anything happened (let's hope not) I'm guessing a bottle exploded. My package got on a truck on Thursday in Chicago and wasn't unloaded until last night, which means it spent some considerable time in the desert heat. I did ziploc bag the bottles twice and put everything in a garbage bag, so I did about as much as I think I could have. But, in that heat, my highly carbed Belgian may not have survived. Odd thing is, the tracking info said it was out for delivery earlier this morning. Who knows...

That sounds like a delivery person dropped it and either box or contents were damaged. I have had that happen on a trade shipment to me. It took a couple of days for them to let me claim it. That sucks man.

sort of a side note, but I've never called anything "yeast samples" and with eventual uninformed people saying things like "yeast??? what are they making, morphine? We gotta control this substance!" I doubt I ever will.

I drop pre-labeled packages at the FedEx counter without saying anything, but if I did have a question my go-to answer was always "gifts"

just my two cents.

I never label anything yeast samples either. When I generate my online labels, I usually put in a reference field of 'kitchen supplies' or 'canned goods' sometimes for trades. I may have put 'olive oil' or 'bbq sauce' once or twice. Pre-labeled packages are the easiest way to go. For ground packages, we usually get deliveries every day, so they pick them up.

The only reason I use Yeast Samples is that they check for liquids (at least thats what my UPS guy told me) so if they see it's yeast I would guess they would let it go. My routine it drop it off prepaid right before pickup, never had a problem yet. I shipped overnight yesterday at 6pm get there at 10AM today :rockin:

I don't think they care too much if it's going to a company. I would guess something happened to your package. Sucks man!

Back