NHC 2015 - Registration Open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my score sheets today in the mail as well, after waiting impatiently for two weeks.

I'm confused because the cover sheet doesn't indicate I made the mini BOS but the competition website indicates a green check mark under mini BOS.

Looking at my score sheets the cover sheet has a check box right above Final Assigned Score that says "This beer advanced to a mini-BOS round"

I had to double check cause the first few times that I looked it over I totally missed it and had no clue how other people knew that made it to BOS.

Anyone successfully get their recipe information in? Went through all the trouble of putting it in and submitted, and it just gave me some error code.

Haven't even tried yet...I suppose that I should get on that, but I still need to bottle.

I had a 43 hit mini-BOS and go nowhere. I also know that there was a 49 in another category that also went nowhere.

That's the type of B.S. I was talking about earlier. If it's true that a near perfect beer didn't advance, then the system is flawed.

That's the type of B.S. I was talking about earlier. If it's true that a near perfect beer didn't advance, then the system is flawed.

You have a solution? Different judges have different perceptions. Can't make it all perfect, but if you have a solution to make it better propose it to the AHA.

You have a solution? Different judges have different perceptions. Can't make it all perfect, but if you have a solution to make it better propose it to the AHA.

What he said. While I agree that it's very frustrating, I'm guessing the beer that was scored a 49 was unfairly overscored, but corrected in mini-BOS, where my previous gold winning Porter (a few weeks before) that scored a 19 was unfairly underscored, but never got a chance at mini-BOS.

So yes, frustrating, but it's not the system. The system does the best possible solution to objectify a subjective process. The problem is that judges don't always get it right. Sometimes they judge a beer higher than they should (49), sometimes they judge it lower. There are going to be hiccups no matter how it's done, because there's always going to be that human element to the process.

If you have a solution, put it forward, because I don't have one. And I don't know if anyone else does either, or else it surely would be more consistent.

It is similar to entering the same beer in different competitions and getting varying results. May have a beer that wins BOS in one competition and doesn't place in another. Too many different things can come into play and I think it would be hard to change the system.

Thanks Lorena; congrats on the new position. Same advice as my homebrew club buddies gave me. Bubbling as we speak. ��

While I agree that it's very frustrating, I'm guessing the beer that was scored a 49 was unfairly overscored, but corrected in mini-BOS, where my previous gold winning Porter (a few weeks before) that scored a 19 was unfairly underscored, but never got a chance at mini-BOS.
Honestly, I think that bottle variation also plays a huge part in it, and you'd probably be surprised at how much it can matter. I've actually done BOS rounds and had beers which were phenomenal during judging rounds that were just OK when BOS came around, especially in comparison to some of the others. To be fair, though, the 49 was in 23, so it's even harder to say what it was up against in mini-BOS vs the judging round. Ultimately, though, it really depends on the variation between bottles and judges. The entrant in me doesn't believe there's that much variation in my bottles, since I bottle only enough to enter. The judge in me, though, has experiences significant differences,

Just as an example, at a recent comp, we had a couple of beers in BOS which were at opposite ends of the spectrum. There was a blackberry sour that had a significant diacetyl profile in the judging round (obvious pedio) that only had the barest trace of it in the BOS. Also, there was a fruited IPA that was great in the judging that had a harsh bitterness and a trace of cholorophenolics in the BOS. That's why the judge procedure manual specifically spells out that the best judging round score should not win, but that there should always be a mini-BOS when there are multiple flights/judge pairs.

Update...I was able to enter my recipe.

Janis said the address was correct, they renamed the road in honor of the brewery..not sure how that may fix the UPS issues I read about earlier.

Rubber bands around labels this year. The bottle labels state clear packing tape - this is wrong and will be fixed.

Honestly, I think that bottle variation also plays a huge part in it, and you'd probably be surprised at how much it can matter. I've actually done BOS rounds and had beers which were phenomenal during judging rounds that were just OK when BOS came around, especially in comparison to some of the others. To be fair, though, the 49 was in 23, so it's even harder to say what it was up against in mini-BOS vs the judging round. Ultimately, though, it really depends on the variation between bottles and judges. The entrant in me doesn't believe there's that much variation in my bottles, since I bottle only enough to enter. The judge in me, though, has experiences significant differences,

Just as an example, at a recent comp, we had a couple of beers in BOS which were at opposite ends of the spectrum. There was a blackberry sour that had a significant diacetyl profile in the judging round (obvious pedio) that only had the barest trace of it in the BOS. Also, there was a fruited IPA that was great in the judging that had a harsh bitterness and a trace of cholorophenolics in the BOS. That's why the judge procedure manual specifically spells out that the best judging round score should not win, but that there should always be a mini-BOS when there are multiple flights/judge pairs.

That plus shipping, handling, storage, and serving factors most of which are out of the entrant's control. I've had comps (or somehow UPS) skunk my beers before. Other comments right on, but skunky for some reason.

But I've certainly seen differences between bottles at comps between judging and BOS, though rarely (or rather never in my experience) enough to justify a 20 point change.

So looking at the shipping address that they provide UPS can't find it to confirm that it's a commercial address. It's a huge difference in price ($40)

AleSmith Brewing Company
9990 AleSmith Court
San Diego, CA 92126
USA

Google maps shows it as
AleSmith Brewing Company
9368 Cabot Dr
San Diego, CA 92126

Please hold off printing your labels and even thinking about shipping until we get the new AleSmith address issue resolved. This is a new location for AleSmith and San Diego changed the street name recently.

Cheers,
Janis

I can't seem to enter the dates. Everything else lets me fill it in. I tried multiple different browsers. Anybody else?

I received my score sheets from Chicago finally. I now understand some of the scoring concerns discussed previously in this thread.

Seems every year there's a few minor problems with the recipe form, or shipping address, or labels for the final round.

That's why I always just wait awhile until the kinks get worked out...

It's not like the 1st round entry window from years past where you had to try to be first. :p

Anyone get sheets from Zanesville, OH yet? Starting to wonder about them. Does anyone know if they send out ribbons at the same time for 1st round?

-TK

Anyone get sheets from Zanesville, OH yet? Starting to wonder about them. Does anyone know if they send out ribbons at the same time for 1st round?

-TK

Your scoresheets will come direct from Ohio, while the ribbons will come from Boulder.

-TK

Hi Tom,
I have contacted Frank Barickman about the Zanesville score sheets. He is right in the middle of opening his brewery, and has not had the time to mail the score sheets. He is hoping to get that done soon. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Janis

-TK

Hi again, Tom,
The ribbons are all sent out at the same time, in so far as you can send 800 packages at once. I am printing the letters, and mailing labels today and tomorrow, and then possibly one other person and I will tackle the ribbon mailing. I will be doing it no matter what, but it isn't certain how much help I'll have, so don't be surprised if the ribbons are still being shipped next week too.

Hey all,
Please make sure your mailing addresses are up to date in the First Round competition app!

Cheers,
Janis

There was a poster here who mentioned a few years ago finishing first place in the 2nd round of NHC in category 1, but won a silver because he/she scored something like a 35 in the final round, but won the mini-BOS. The score didn't qualify for gold, so gold wasn't awarded. That doesn't mean that there weren't several other 40+ beers that moved into the mini-BOS. Maybe bottle variation caused the first beer to be a 35, but the second would have scored a 45 (who knows). Either way, a good beer may have missed out on a bronze medal just because the beer that was picked first in the mini-BOS had scored only a 35.

Hi all,

This information is completely incorrect. In the NHC an entry must have scored above 30 points and been in the top 3 entries of the flight to progress to a mini-BOS in the First Round and also in the Final Round. Once the entries go to the mini-BOS, the original scores are not used to determine the placing of the entries. It is entirely possible that an entry scoring 31 in the original judging could win the Gold medal for the category over a handful of entries that scored in the 40s. There is no score-dependent placement reqiurement for an "MEDAL", but there is a score-dependent requirement for a certificate in the First Round.

Certificates are entirely tied to scores, and they do not constitute placing in the competition. The certificate ranges are these:
Gold certificate: 38-50 points
Silver certificate: 30-37 points
Bronze certificate: 25-29 points

My guess is that the poster was confusing the certificates with the ribbons and medals for the competition. If you have questions, you can always read the information in the Rules & Regulations online.

Cheers,
Janis

Thank you for all the clarifications, Janis.

No worries here, I don't have to rebrew, but if I did, I'd probably be wanting those notes.

Thanks for following up and good luck with all the shipping.

-TK

EDIT: Website was glitchy. Problem is resolved. RDWHAHB!

Are there still problems on the Finals website. I do not have an option to enter my recipe at all. Just want to get everything in order so I can ship beers in the next week.

My plan is to get the 3 beers ready for shipping, then log them in after. 6/2 deadline. Box and bubble wrap ready.
Just secondaried the IPA.
Cheers!

My plan is to get the 3 beers ready for shipping, then log them in after. 6/2 deadline. Box and bubble wrap ready.
Just secondaried the IPA.
Cheers!

I just began to cold crash my American Pale Ale! My issue is that I just bought a new house and will be moving soon, so I need to speed by packaging along. I need to have all my ducks in order before the real chaos begins! Don't want to lose any beer in the move. (Except the ones I drink! :tank:)

Quality control on my NHC final's entry..... Dortmunder Export. Rebrewed 2 batches, but especially pleased with this one.

dort.jpg

Yeah, I'm comparing my original and my re-brew of the Amber Ale I snagged a bronze with in Austin. Still love the taste of the original, but the newer one does have more pronounced hops and character malt flavor, so I most likely will send it in. They look pretty damn close, though (as one would hope!)...

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431399795.637444.jpg

I still can't find where to enter recipe info, either, on the competition website "my info" page. I'm primarily an iPad user, think that's it? Certain sites don't work fully with safari - Maybe I'll take a look with my wife's computer...

Make sure you're going to brewingcompetition.com/final not just brewingcompetition.com...

All the way under the bottom, under "actions" should be an "edit" button.

Make sure you're going to brewingcompetition.com/final not just brewingcompetition.com...

All the way under the bottom, under "actions" should be an "edit" button.

That's it... Thank you!

Edit: it was that, but also Safari on the iPad. I wasn't using the final page, but even after I then did, it gave me all the final info, but no "edit" button under Actions. Used Firefox on the computer, and it's there...

Hi all,

This information is completely incorrect. In the NHC an entry must have scored above 30 points and been in the top 3 entries of the flight to progress to a mini-BOS in the First Round and also in the Final Round. Once the entries go to the mini-BOS, the original scores are not used to determine the placing of the entries. It is entirely possible that an entry scoring 31 in the original judging could win the Gold medal for the category over a handful of entries that scored in the 40s. There is no score-dependent placement reqiurement for an "MEDAL", but there is a score-dependent requirement for a certificate in the First Round.

Certificates are entirely tied to scores, and they do not constitute placing in the competition. The certificate ranges are these:
Gold certificate: 38-50 points
Silver certificate: 30-37 points
Bronze certificate: 25-29 points

My guess is that the poster was confusing the certificates with the ribbons and medals for the competition. If you have questions, you can always read the information in the Rules & Regulations online.

Cheers,
Janis

Are the certificates mailed to the people entering? I just logged on to https://brewingcompetition.com/index.php which has a link to a gold certificate for my entry #22906 at Nashville, TN. Also I still haven't received the score sheets. My address is still the same as it was when I entered, and is correct.

That's it... Thank you!

Edit: it was that, but also Safari on the iPad. I wasn't using the final page, but even after I then did, it gave me all the final info, but no "edit" button under Actions. Used Firefox on the computer, and it's there...

Mobile devices are not supported this year.

Cheers,
Janis

Are the certificates mailed to the people entering? I just logged on to https://brewingcompetition.com/index.php which has a link to a gold certificate for my entry #22906 at Nashville, TN. Also I still haven't received the score sheets. My address is still the same as it was when I entered, and is correct.

Hi,

I no longer print and mail the certificates since they are electronic now. This is a HUGE savings of paper, time, effort, and paper cuts for me. The downloadable certificate is the only form the certificates come in now, and it's been that way for 3 years at least.

Cheers,
Janis

Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but looks like shipping from the Great Lakes area for FedEx or UPS Ground is 4 days in transit. I would imagine going to San Diego, that's going to include at least a day or two rolling through the hot desert on the way there. One of my beers is a highly carbonated Belgian style ale, basically pushing the limits of what a standard bottle can handle in regards to carbonation volumes. I'm a little apprehensive about getting a bottle bomb while its in the truck.

Anyone else have some experience here with a similar situation, or have a good suggestion on how to proceed? Thought about ice packs but after 3 days I'm not sure they'd do much good once the beers hit the warmest part of the trip.

Try to insulate the box the best you can, but ultimately, ice packs are only going to last a day or two. That's why I try to ship everything on Mondays. It's the best you can do. At least you're not down here where it's going to be in the hottest possible conditions pretty much the whole time.

Try to insulate the box the best you can, but ultimately, ice packs are only going to last a day or two. That's why I try to ship everything on Mondays. It's the best you can do. At least you're not down here where it's going to be in the hottest possible conditions pretty much the whole time.

The other option would be to send 2 of the bottles I have left that are in Duvel style bottles, which are far sturdier and would be highly unlikely to burst. But, while formally speaking you can't get marked down for sending in a non-standard bottle, I worry about perception, which could subconsciously affect how it's scored. That or I'm reading into that way too much. :)

I don't think you get marked down for wrong bottle size, I think you just get disqualified. Be sure and check the rules.

-TK

Latest posts

Back