NHC 2015 - Registration Open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops..... not my Helles, my Dortmunder wast the one that made it through. Don't drink and read competition results:)

that is a great beer. Would have snagged a medal last year. Will have a good shot this year.

good luck--
--Michael

No dice for me this year. Was intesting to enter though. I will be interested to see my score sheets. I bottled all my beers from kegs, except the sour. I notice they don't necessarily breakdown the categories ( French ale for instance) into the sub-styles.

TD

No dice for me this year. Was intesting to enter though. I will be interested to see my score sheets. I bottled all my beers from kegs, except the sour. I notice they don't necessarily breakdown the categories ( French ale for instance) into the sub-styles.

TD

That was interesting how they leapfrogged the verifying process. That being said, the NHC is awarded by category. You will see the substyle that each place was part of next to the place. So far it looks like there will be a lot of Scotch ales (category 9E) in category 9.

TD

Also, I note that you made a number of mentions of other sour categories. The most recent iteration of the style guidelines are set to be released in the next month or two and do include numerous sour and wild ale categories, so you'll have a better place for them in the future. The idea being to reduce the number of beers in Specialty.

I'll be judging starting tomorrow here in the Chicago region, then on Friday & all day Saturday. Here's to hoping we get through all of the beer in a reasonable amount of time. It's actually less beers than the hosting club had in the Drunk Monk Challenge a month ago, so should be doable. I've got 3 beers and a couple of meads in, so I'm excited to see how they do as well. Possibly my last year of entering competitions, but we'll see!

I'll be judging starting tomorrow here in the Chicago region, then on Friday & all day Saturday. Here's to hoping we get through all of the beer in a reasonable amount of time. It's actually less beers than the hosting club had in the Drunk Monk Challenge a month ago, so should be doable. I've got 3 beers and a couple of meads in, so I'm excited to see how they do as well. Possibly my last year of entering competitions, but we'll see!

I'm scheduled to judge Saturday as well, along with Pappers_, so we will see you there!

I never enter any more, because I'm away in the winter and the entries are due while I'm still away from home, but I try to judge at least one of the rounds each year.

I'm scheduled to judge Saturday as well, along with Pappers_, so we will see you there!

I never enter any more, because I'm away in the winter and the entries are due while I'm still away from home, but I try to judge at least one of the rounds each year.

That's fair. This may be my last year entering; we shall see. I know I'm slowing down on comps overall for entering. Judging is another story. I judge around 17-18 competitions a year and next year will be judging GABF for the first time.

Well, got my St. Louis Results today.... My Dortmunder that made it scored 41. Had 2 more that made mini BOS, and must have been close - Alt scored 42 and Mild scored 39, but neither made it through. So, even though those two did not make it, good to know they were well-received and in the ballpark. Scottish (29) and Helles (30) were not in the running...... thought they would do a bit better.

Got results from St. Louis in the mail today.

Not the highest-ranking of judges across any of the scoresheets, but certified nonetheless of course. Feedback was somewhat constructive, though some judges completely contradicted each other.

And sigh @ Nashville. I emailed them years ago when they took forever asking what the deal was and why they were taking so long, seeing as the organizers were publicly hosting and handling other events as well (seen via FB) that were completely unrelated to NHC while people sat for over a month wondering wtf happened, and they tried to make it seem like I was being ridiculous when the organizer emailed NHC + me with a response. NHC agreed and backed them over me. Seems like maybe it's improved a little bit, but always seems to have issues. I wonder if the NHC sees a problem with it after this year's competition. I'm gonna stay out of it since that wasn't my division, but it sucks seeing many of my friends enter since we're Tennesseans, only to wonder where the heck their results are year after year.

Well, got my St. Louis Results today.... My Dortmunder that made it scored 41. Had 2 more that made mini BOS, and must have been close - Alt scored 42 and Mild scored 39, but neither made it through. So, even though those two did not make it, good to know they were well-received and in the ballpark. Scottish (29) and Helles (30) were not in the running...... thought they would do a bit better.

I'm hoping my Mild does well. I've tweaked that beer into what (at least I think) is a fantastic example, albeit on the super-low-gravity end which I've found is always a crap shoot. Of course I hope the rest do well too. My 60/- and Robust Porter have both won medals before so hopefully they'll repeat. Rye PA is untested so I don't know about that one. Problem is every year I have the fate of your Alt and Mild for most or all of my entries. Good score, but not out of mini-BOS. Last year my Alt also got a 42 (I think, it was low 40s at least), but no dice.

Congrats on the great beers! I'm looking forward to getting my score sheets and finding out how I did.

All the Austin sheets are finally in the mail.

Awesome - I'm looking forward to see my scores and critiques! This is the first competition I've entered (just been brewing a little over two years), and I'm happy that one of my beers made it through to the final round (American Amber Ale)! But I'm equally happy just to get back constructive, blind criticism... instead of just my friends and family saying, "mmmmm, yum, this is great!" [emoji6]

Awesome - I'm looking forward to see my scores and critiques! This is the first competition I've entered (just been brewing a little over two years), and I'm happy that one of my beers made it through to the final round (American Amber Ale)! But I'm equally happy just to get back constructive, blind criticism... instead of just my friends and family saying, "mmmmm, yum, this is great!" [emoji6]

Two years, first comp, and you have a beer going to finals? That's quite a feat. Congrats!

I will point out to folks that NHC isn't really a good competition to enter if you want feedback since they switched to the checklist scoresheets. I've had some judges still write notes, but others don't. And it limits how much feedback you can get.

So if you've already entered expecting good feedback, don't be surprised if the feedback (from this particular competition) isn't as helpful as you want it to be.

The way I see it, enter local and regional comps for feeback. Enter NHC to win.

Anyone with a clue why NYC taking so long to go from verifying to posted? Been almost 2 weeks!

As far as I know, there is mainly one person at the AHA that handles all the verification, so I imagine she goes in order that the regions submit their results. I bet NY and Sac will be posted by the end of this week.

Can they be seen online?

I know the scores and certificates will be available online when all of them are complete, but I don't recall scoresheets being made available online. It's not like it wouldn't be possible, though, since they have to scan them to send to Janis for the verification process.

Anyone with a clue why NYC taking so long to go from verifying to posted? Been almost 2 weeks!

Nope. Them and Cali got leapfrogged by Nashville. Not sure what's up with them.

Two years, first comp, and you have a beer going to finals? That's quite a feat. Congrats!

I will point out to folks that NHC isn't really a good competition to enter if you want feedback since they switched to the checklist scoresheets. I've had some judges still write notes, but others don't. And it limits how much feedback you can get.

So if you've already entered expecting good feedback, don't be surprised if the feedback (from this particular competition) isn't as helpful as you want it to be.

The way I see it, enter local and regional comps for feeback. Enter NHC to win.

Good to know, thanks! That's just proof that this is my first comp, since I didn't know this... [emoji6] My wife bought me an AHA membership for Xmas, so I figured I may as well take advantage of it an enter some beers in the NHC!

I'll have to look in to some local comps for better feedback. I've been hoping to get to an Austin ZEALOTS meeting, where I've heard you can get good feedback... but I work most weekends, so haven't had a chance yet...

I'll have to look in to some local comps for better feedback. I've been hoping to get to an Austin ZEALOTS meeting, where I've heard you can get good feedback... but I work most weekends, so haven't had a chance yet...

If you're in the Austin area, you'll have lots to choose from. All of the ZEALOTS that I know are good people (planning to hang with them at NHC). The Inquisition is in the summertime usually. I think it may actually wind up being BJCP-sanctioned this year (they don't bother with rules and whatnot usually). There's also Lunar Rendezbrew in south Houston (NASA/Bay Area) usually in August. October means Dixie Cup in Houston. You just missed Bluebonnet in DFW area. I've judged for both the Rendezbrew and Dixie Cup, and you will generally get good feedback from those in the standard categories (Dixie Cup has themed categories which are less structured).

And the category 9 trend continues. They're going to have a lot of 9Es to drink.

Scottish/Irish is a tough category since you have very strong and complex Wee Heavy ales competing against sessionable shilling beers. It would almost be like having English Barleywines compete against English Bitters. So, I'm glad that the Wee Heavy style is getting moved to complete with other strong beers in the newer style guidelines.

I got a first place ribbon for a 70 shilling in San Diego first round last year, and I'm hoping my 80 shilling meets the same fate this year. The fact that I like the 80 more than the 70 will probably mean it won't place. ;)

Scottish/Irish is a tough category since you have very strong and complex Wee Heavy ales competing against sessionable shilling beers.
I know. It's one of my favorite categories. I judged it 2nd round last year. This year I'll have to find something else.

It would almost be like having English Barleywines compete against English Bitters. So, I'm glad that the Wee Heavy style is getting moved to complete with other strong beers in the newer style guidelines.
I agree. I'm glad it moved, even though I'm probably retiring mine after this year.

I got a first place ribbon for a 70 shilling in San Diego first round last year, and I'm hoping my 80 shilling meets the same fate this year. The fact that I like the 80 more than the 70 will probably mean it won't place. ;)

Best of luck!

Probably depends on the judges doing mini-BOS. I know that I've given it to a 60/- or 70/- over a Wee Heavy when it deserved it. IIRC, the category winner last year in final round was a very tasty 60/-.

Probably depends on the judges doing mini-BOS. I know that I've given it to a 60/- or 70/- over a Wee Heavy when it deserved it. IIRC, the category winner last year in final round was a very tasty 60/-.

Yeah, it was Robert Hilferding with his "Way Off Kilter" 60/-, which earned him NHC 2014 Homebrewer of the Year. (I was just reading through back issues of Zymergy recently and remember reading this.)

Yeah, it was Robert Hilferding with his "Way Off Kilter" 60/-, which earned him NHC 2014 Homebrewer of the Year. (I was just reading through back issues of Zymergy recently and remember reading this.)

And if I recall, the vitals for that beer put it smack dab in the middle of the 60/- category. ;)

Both quite believable. I just remember it being a really good 60/-. I also seem to recall the 2nd place being a Strong Scotch and the 3rd being a 70/-, but I'm too lazy to go look any of it up. lol Had an Irish Red tonight that made a better 70/- or 80/- than an Irish Red. Gave the brewer a taste of my 80/- (which is on the dry end of the style and probably more an 85/-) and he had to agree that they were pretty similar.

The OG on the 60/- was 1.047.

But of course, the judges don't know that....

It's just a reminder to ALWAYS enter based on final product perception, and not what the guidelines say the beer should fall within...

When peoples say "posted" are they talking about on the beer competition website? I don't recall last year knowing anything about my results until the unofficial results started circulation HBT. Just want to know if I need to keep an eye out on the website. Pennsylvania judging is this weekend.

When peoples say "posted" are they talking about on the beer competition website? I don't recall last year knowing anything about my results until the unofficial results started circulation HBT. Just want to know if I need to keep an eye out on the website. Pennsylvania judging is this weekend.

Yes, this year things are a bit more organized by AHA. They are "verifying" results on the AHA website prior to "posting" them. I've been refreshing the AHA page like crazy waiting for Sac to go from "verifying" to "posted". FINALLY POSTED & what do ya know?!?!
I showed up! My Vienna grabbed 3rd & my American Wheat grabbed 1st! Woohoo! So stoked knowing that I'll have some action going into NHC San Diego! Makes that almost $300 conference pass worth it!

Latest posts

Back