NHC 2015 - Registration Open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! One of yours beat out one of mine (I had a 22C as well).

Ironically, that was a beer I made to be served at the Social Club at last year's NHC. I had some left over, so I bottled it and saved what I had left. Pretty glad I did. :)

Ironically, that was a beer I made to be served at the Social Club at last year's NHC. I had some left over, so I bottled it and saved what I had left. Pretty glad I did. :)

I probably drank it there. I'm curious to see the scoresheet on mine. It was getting pretty close to the bottom of the keg when I bottled it, so I'm not sure how much sediment it would have had. I'm going to open one of the bottles I had set aside in case it advanced tonight. I really suspect that the reason it didn't place is that the wood character was too subtle.

According to the schedule, they didn't even judge yet (they judge this weekend). Austin judged March 13-15. Since they were the only comp that weekend and turned around their results pretty fast, they were processed relatively quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see the scoresheets in my mailbox today or tomorrow.

Cool, where do they have this info on the site? I wasn't able to dig it up previously.

My beers got sent to St. Louis, so they should be finishing up judging today, but I've got to wait till they get them posted so I can find out if I advance.

Congrats to those of you who learned about your beers advancing.

Best of luck to everyone else who is still waiting.

Congrats to all who advanced already. Waiting on NYC myself in 7B, 12B and 23B. I like how the post results by when they are done. However, for the regions that get posted early, it does give those who advance a slight advantage to re-brew if needed over the regions that report results last.

judging by the amount of green beer I tasted in the Finals last year, a number of people are re-brewing too late. Hefe, IPA? - I'd re-brew, and have plans to do so before the results came out. Most every other style? Not re-brewing.

also, some beers might have benefited from another few weeks of cold conditioning they'd have gotten in a later region. And finally, as the judging dates of each region were available ahead of time, I picked a region what would correspond to when my beers were ready.

cheers--
--Michael (waiting on Nashville)

I know its not much help, but they did swap from OPEN to verifying on the site.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...on/national-homebrew-competition-faq/#results

I'm waiting on St. Louis too.

Yeah - just saw that this afternoon too. I will take that as a good sign as they are turning things around pretty fast.

It is not a big deal, but, I have 2 beers I already rebrewed "just in case." I have one I plan to brew, regardless. But, I have 2 that I really would not brew if I knew I was not advancing in those categories. Just curious......like everyone else:) I have a week or two window that I can push it off, so, hopefully the results will be confirmed soon enough one way or another.

However, for the regions that get posted early, it does give those who advance a slight advantage to re-brew if needed over the regions that report results last.

Nope, you really outta have a re-brew plan in place, if warranted for the style. If you wait until the results are out, it'll probably be too late.

Best case - you've rebrewed and timed things just right.

Worst case - you've a bunch more great beer to drink & share

Nope, you really outta have a re-brew plan in place, if warranted for the style. If you wait until the results are out, it'll probably be too late.

Best case - you've rebrewed and timed things just right.

Worst case - you've a bunch more great beer to drink & share

One of the few good things about these days of severe entry limits is it is completely possible to have a brew plan that has each entry in peak condition at the time of each round. I cannot imagine trying to get 40 entries to peak at once!

P.S. - congrats on the two blue ribbons. Good luck in the Finals.

How long does it usually take to go from verifying to posted?

It's going to vary I'm sure. Austin was the only site in process at the time, and I think it was 3 or 4 days. With 4 in verifying, I don't think it's necessarily linear, though, that each will take that long in series.

It's going to vary I'm sure. Austin was the only site in process at the time, and I think it was 3 or 4 days. With 4 in verifying, I don't think it's necessarily linear, though, that each will take that long in series.

I think the speed of verification correlates to how much caffeine Janis has consumed... :rockin:

Of course I entered in the latest possible one (Philly). Perk was that I didn't have to ship, got someone to drive everyone's entries up. Entered a Mild, a Scottish 60/-, a Robust Porter, and a Rye Pale Ale (in 23). Going to be rebrewing the Mild and the Rye Pale here in the next couple weeks just in case.

Dear atchinator,
Thanks for submitting your entries to the Seattle judging center. The judging for your competition has concluded and the results are being verified by the AHA. You can anticipate about a week or longer for verification to be complete.

You will be notified again by email when the results from your competition are posted on the Winners page of the AHA website.

After all 12 First Round competitions are complete, your results—with a downloadable letter and any certificates earned by your entries’ scores—will be available in your record on the competition site. You will receive an email telling you when you can log into your record for this information.

Good luck in the competition!

Janis Gross, Director
National Homebrew Competition

I got the same email as atchinator, but from the St. Louis judging center. Looks like I've got to wait atleast one more week.

Guidelines are explicit. 6D should exhibit all those other characteristics in addition to rye. Beers that are a different style PLUS rye (such as a pale ale with rye) go in 23.
Your probably right, but I've always thought of an American Wheat as an American Pale Ale made with wheat.

I think the speed of verification correlates to how much caffeine Janis has consumed... :rockin:

That sounds about right. She was on fire towards the end last year, but glad to see they spread it out a bit more this year to not overload her. I seem to remember last year everything was over the course of two consecutive weekends.

Your probably right, but I've always thought of an American Wheat as an American Pale Ale made with wheat.

I've always thought of American Wheat as a Hefeweizen or Witbier without the interesting yeast character. More Bells Oberon or Widmer Hefe, less Sierra Nevada Pale Ale plus wheat/rye. Mine is a bit too potent on the late hops, and distinctly American Pale Ale, with a pretty pungent blast of rye. But reading through the guidelines again, I could see it being a style outlier. Regardless, think the odds are better in 23.

I got an email saying Nashville was delayed but that was almost a week ago and still not verifying. Anyone know what is going on?

I talked to the guy running or close to running the Nashville center on twitter. Here's what he said on Monday (read from the bottom up)

Fdu64EA.png

Remind me, what did Nashville pull last year?
30.gif
57.gif

Pretty much the same thing. They weren't able to get everything judged during the weekend they judged and were still trying to get some things judged a week or so later. It's really looking like they can't handle NHC first round.

Pretty much the same thing. They weren't able to get everything judged during the weekend they judged and were still trying to get some things judged a week or so later. It's really looking like they can't handle NHC first round.

My issue wouldn't be the delay, but rather the previous year's call for anyone off the street to judge NHC.

For those of us in the Nashville judging center I got another response from the head guy last night.

"Nashville is finished, shouldnt take long for results to be verified, Hoping to get scoresheets in the mail Monday."

Latest posts

Back