NHC 2015 - Registration Open

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have an idea when the rest (esp Philly) will post? Will it be before the weekend?

Doubtful before the weekend. Unless something has changed, Janis is the only one who does this and has to do one at a time. And I don't believe the AHA works on weekends. I would suspect all of them to be done by next Wed or Thurs., but then I don't have any inside info.

And I have to apologize because Philly will be the last to be posted because it's the one I'm in. :cross:

And only 527 entries...

Surprised to see many of the other regions below capacity...

Has NHC jumped the shark?

Can't speak for the rest of you, but my excitement for NHC diminished a bit when I found out back in the fall that they'd still use the old guidelines.

Can't speak for the rest of you, but my excitement for NHC diminished a bit when I found out back in the fall that they'd still use the old guidelines.

The new guide line are still in draft and have not been adopted yet. I know there are a few competitions that use them, but at the scale of the NHC that would be terrible.

Not sure how 40+ point medal winning beers at the Midwinter (1st place Irish red) and BOSS Challenge (2nd place Dus. Alt) turned into sub 30 point beers once they crossed into Minnesota for the St. Paul Regional...:drunk:

... but good luck to all those that are moving on!:mug:

The new guide line are still in draft and have not been adopted yet. I know there are a few competitions that use them, but at the scale of the NHC that would be terrible.

I'm curious why you think it would have been terrible? The plan WAS to have them available for NHC '15...

Not sure how 40+ point medal winning beers at the Midwinter (1st place Irish red) and BOSS Challenge (2nd place Dus. Alt) turned into sub 30 point beers once they crossed into Minnesota for the St. Paul Regional...:drunk:

... but good luck to all those that are moving on!:mug:

This is definitely one of the biggest frustrations with competitions. I've had the same entry on the same day win a gold in one competition and score a 25 in another.

Still waiting to see if my BOS cider from Midwinter gets through in Philly.

I'll agree. How did a Wood Aged beer that scored 40+ and a second place ribbon at the same location as the 1st round NHC, less than 2 months before, score 32 at NHC? In general you'd think you'd be pulling from the same pool of judges and contestants. Went from three ribbons at WotW's (800+ entries) on Feb 21st to nothing scoring over 32 at the first round on Apr 11th with the exact same beers.

Not going to stop me from entering competitions, it's the nature of this type of judging. It's just frustration when it happens in one where you really want to do well. Went into it thinking I had a really good chance of moving at least one of those beers forward, but nothing. Oh well.

Welp, i struck out. Again. Don't know scores but hopefully sheets will be here. I'm retiring from entering comps including NHC. Tired of winning medals every time i brew something beer hipster friendly that isn't good, but striking out and bombing every time when i submit dead to style UK session beers because judges don't know what they're doing.....

I'll agree. How did a Wood Aged beer that scored 40+ and a second place ribbon at the same location as the 1st round NHC, less than 2 months before, score 32 at NHC? In general you'd think you'd be pulling from the same pool of judges and contestants. Went from three ribbons at WotW's (800+ entries) on Feb 21st to nothing scoring over 32 at the first round on Apr 11th with the exact same beers.

Not going to stop me from entering competitions, it's the nature of this type of judging. It's just frustration when it happens in one where you really want to do well. Went into it thinking I had a really good chance of moving at least one of those beers forward, but nothing. Oh well.

I agree with you. I was just venting a little. When it comes dow to it, it's more likely something I did in my process that caused those entries to degrade. The judges tasted what they tasted.

After thinking about it and reading the feedback again, it's even possible I mislabeled the bottles (the alt was described as having a burnt flavor (burnt = roasted?), and got notes about "too hoppy" for the red. So if that was the case, no one could have saved me from my dumb assery! :smack:

Welp, i struck out. Again. Don't know scores but hopefully sheets will be here. I'm retiring from entering comps including NHC. Tired of winning medals every time i brew something beer hipster friendly that isn't good, but striking out and bombing every time when i submit dead to style UK session beers because judges don't know what they're doing.....

There's something to what you are saying. Listened to JZ's Brewstrong episode in Irish Red last week, and he talked about how if you want to win a competition in that category, an authentic version won't do it. Could be similar consequences?

I agree with you. I was just venting a little. When it comes down to it, it's more likely something I did in my process that caused those entries to degrade.
Thing is, my beers for both competitions were bottled from a keg from the same batch, at the same time and given well over a year for the oak to mellow. Then I entered these two competitions less than two months apart.

A Master judge at the first competition says,"The oak is a pleasant counterpoint at the low-medium level. A well crafted beer that marries the oak with the base nicely. Highly drinkable."

The NHC judges (novice and certified) write, "too much oak" and "overly oaked character." WTF!

NOVICE JUDGE
A relatively inexperienced person who has not taken the BJCP exam, but who has been approved by the competition organizer to serve as a judge in a competition.

Vent over. Time to move on. :D

I think flight position is so much more important than people realize....and it's completely out of our control.

Sure, judges aren't really supposed to judge based the previous beer they sampled, but it has to come into play...

I think flight position is so much more important than people realize....and it's completely out of our control.

Sure, judges aren't really supposed to judge based the previous beer they sampled, but it has to come into play...

I don't think it's necessarily judging against the previous beer, but if you're judging 10 barleywines, by the time you get to #10, your palate is shot, and your head is (more than) a little hazy. Also, everybody tastes things a little differently. One person's 'too much' is another's 'not enough.'

I'm very sensitive to band-aid type phenols. I was once at a judging table where I was the only one who could taste them, including one that was WAY over the top.

I'm very sensitive to isoamyl acetate, acetaldehyde, and the pyrazines from production of coffee and roasted malts that can lend a green pepper/jalapeno flavor to stouts. Some competitions if I'm judging the stout category (which seems to be every competition lately), I taste jalapeno in almost every stout (this last time it was only in one). I get it in some commercial stouts too.

And yes, when you have a flight of 10 RIS's, by the end of it everything is shot.

I'm curious why you think it would have been terrible? The plan WAS to have them available for NHC '15...

Well, as a judge that hasn't even had a chance to review them much (as they are still in draft), it would be a nightmare to judge to new guidelines without even knowing what they are, especially since some sites were judged in early March. So, the guidelines would have had to be approved and widely understood before march 1 if they were to be used in June!

Has anyone from Sacramento received their score sheets?

I checked my mail today & struck out. I'm in CA too, so mail is a day or two at most. Hopefully soon. I'm excited to see what was said. I was expecting them sooner, but my patience has gotten better ever since entering Nashville last year.

Got my sheets. My previous gold winning Robust Porter got a 19 for imaginary fusels. My others all scored mid 30s. A couple certified, but mostly recognized and provisional judges. Zero higher ranked (who tend to judge my styles a little better). Not acceptable for NHC.

I'm done.

My experience was a bit different...my 7B scored exactly as 3 other comps...averaging a 41...though my 7A got hammered at other comps (low 30's) scored a 40 at NHC and took 3rd in category...different regions, different judges, all still a great time!

Try adding fewer hops at the 60 minute mark and see if that helps.

Was that towards me? Wasn't a hop problem. The judges were inexperienced and imagined something that wasn't there, or the comp screwed up and mixed up bottles. It's a fluke scoresheet, like everyone gets at some point or another. The beer could use some tweaks to the malt bill, not the hops (a bit more complexity as noted at other comps where it was accurately judged and medaled in the past)

Any recommendations for judging centers?
57.gif
30.gif

Not sure where they'll be next year. I've gotten the best results out of St. Louis personally.

If you're asking about this year, you're a couple months late to the party.

I can't believe the Zanesville hasn't been posted yet. It's Huge advantage for people that got their results early especially if you have a lager.

I can't believe the Zanesville hasn't been posted yet. It's Huge advantage for people that got their results early especially if you have a lager.

I had mine in St. Louis..... one of the first to get results back. I had already rebrewed my 2 lagers and my Alt as my beers were getting judged. In the end, I had a Dortmunder go through and it was already fermenting. I also have a Helles and an Alt that did not make it...... guess I just have to drink them myself. Even the earliest competitions many people should be planning their rebrews before results ..... if that is something they think they will need to do.

Forgive my ignorance if this has been covered, I'm a bit of a newbie to the competition scene. So I entered in St. Paul. Actually had one of my beers place which was a pleasant surprise! How long after the results are posted have people been getting score sheets? Seems like they mail it to you within a week or so?

RQDanno- if I recall correctly, Nashville was posted on a Tuesday and I got the sheets in the mail (in GA) about 7 days later. hopefully Zanesville and San Diego get posted soon!

Back