NFL Offseason, HBT mock draft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blacklab said:
I'm in. how do you win?

There's no 'winner' per se, but after the real draft takes place I'll compare our version of the first round to other 'professional' mock drafts and we'll all see just how well we really know our teams.

What team do you want to pick for? See the original post for a listing of teams that have already been taken.

Anyone else want in on this? Deadline to pick a team is tomorrow at midnight. This weekend I'll be assigning teams and the Dolphins will be on the clock come 12:01 am either Monday or Tuesday. Each team will them have 24 hours to make a pick.

Bump - check out the first post in this thread. The draft order and GM's have been set. If you want in on this let me know ASAP.

ohiobrewtus said:
I'm not sure if chat is the best way to do it anyway. I've been thinking abou tit and while it's more fun to get everyone together in the same place and talk some smack, everyone has other things going on in their lives and getting everyone together at the same time for a few hours usually never works.

So how about we plan on doing it in the forums, each GM will have 24 hours to make their pick. That way no one is too rushed and can participate at their own convenience. We'll kick off on Monday, March 24th.

Are we just going to do it on this thread and then nobody picks until the person before him/her does? Then after the 24 is up we will move on, and you will be the Mod of the Picks?

Sweet...gotta get my draft board going over the weekend :)

RICLARK said:
Are we just going to do it on this thread and then nobody picks until the person before him/her does? Then after the 24 is up we will move on, and you will be the Mod of the Picks?

Yup, post your selections in this thread. The original post will have the updated draft board after each selection.

Remember, trades are allowed, but I need to approve them first. Most anything will go, as long as it's realistic - This isn't Madden football. PM me with trade proposals.

If a GM misses a pick, then I will make the pick. I thought about handling it like the real draft, but someone could be on vacation or something and the pick would never get made if that were the case.

jzal8 is on the clock at 8 am on Monday and has 24 hours to make his pick. Once he makes his pick, Dude is on the clock for the Rams and then has 24 hours to make his pick... and so on.

I'd like to make a suggestion to everyone doing this draft....

Don't just take the highest rated player for teh team you are picking for. Do some research on those team's needs, and make an educated pick like a real GM would do.

Obviously you want to go BPA in most cases, but if say you are picking for Indy, don't take a QB with teh first pick when they have obvious holes elsewhere.

Just trying to make this realistic.

;)

Originally posted by Dude:
Don't just take the highest rated player for teh team you are picking for. Do some research on those team's needs, and make an educated pick like a real GM would do.

Maybe someone should tell Matt Millen about this!

mstev50 said:
Maybe someone should tell Matt Millen about this!

I think that I should take offense to this remark, but I'm about as die-hard as Lions fans come and I'll be the first to admit that Matt Millen is a friggin idiot.

Dude's right though... take the time to do a little research about the teams that you're picking for and their needs. The Eagles, for example, they have very little need for a CB now after signing Asante Samuel. The Falcons are almost certainly not going to draft Darren McFadden now that they signed Michael Turner in free agency, etc.

Update on the picks. It appears as if the_bird will be unable to participate. I'll probably split his picks to those who only have 3 picks in the draft and if there are any left over I'll take them... FYI. I'll post a final update tomorrow or Monday morning.

Update to OP has been made to reflect the_bird not being able to participate.

Unless I hear from someone else who wants to participate by the end of tomorrow, jzal8 will be on the clock for the Dolphins Monday morning at 8:00 am.

Damn job getting in the way of things!!!

jzal8 - you were officially on the clock for the Miami Dolphins at 8:00 am est this morning.

Post your pick here by tomorrow morning at 8 am EST.

I will be reviewing the dolphins options over the course of the afternoon, and would like to invite anyone with trade offers to PM me. Thanks.

With the first pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Targets: Matt Ryan, Chris Long, Jake Long, Darren McFadden, Glenn Dorsey.

Rationale: My mind kept wandering towards picking Matt Ryan, but I knew this would not be the right choice. First, he was a good quarterback at BC, but not great. He was mistake prone at times. Second, you aren't going to draft Matt Ryan and start him on day one of this upcoming season. You probably don't even start him in season one if you don't have to. I knew the #1 pick needed to be a player I could get immediate production out of. Look for the dolphins to select a quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I eliminated Darren McFadden because of Ronnie Brown and the rumors that Parcells actually is a believer in Ricky "puff" Williams. Plus, RB's can be gotten on the cheap in later rounds.

Glenn Dorsey lacks size, and from what I have read, lower body strength. Not a great option for Parcells Defense.

Jake Long, I wasn't sure. It looks like the dolphins really do need Offensive Line help. But I think they may look to get an OT like Jeff Otah, Gosder Cherilus or Same Baker later in the draft.

Finally, I selected Chris Long because he is a defensive freak, and that is just the way Parcells rolls. He can play DE in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 which is an obvious plus as the Dolphins may utilize a hybrid defense. He is known to have an outstanding work ethic which the dolphins will be hoping is contagious. Plus if Jason Taylor sticks around, you have yourself two very dangerous defensive ends right there.

Good pick!

I guess I am on teh clock now, even though official notice from the commish hasn't been announced at this time. ;)

I'll begin taking trade offers, but I don't plan on using very much of my time, so get them in quick. We know who our guy is. :D

Dude said:
Good pick!

I guess I am on teh clock now, even though official notice from the commish hasn't been announced at this time. ;)

I'll begin taking trade offers, but I don't plan on using very much of my time, so get them in quick. We know who our guy is. :D

You're on the clock, smarta$$!

I'll try to check as often as I can while this is going on, but there's obviously going to be some lag time from when a pick is made to when I can notify the next GM that they're on the clock. Especially if someone posts a pick at 1am. :drunk:

With the second pick in the 2008 HBT NFL Mock draft, the St. Louis Rams select...

...Jake Long, Tackle, Michigan.

Rationale: This was a no brainer. Arguably, he is the BPA on the board right now--but it just so happens to also be a major need for the Rams. With the loss of Orlando Pace, Jake Long can more than likely step into the starting line-up immediately.

Atlanta will be taking:
Matt Ryan - Quarterback, Boston College

Rationale:
Joey
Harrington.
nuff said.

capcrnch said:
Atlanta will be taking:
Matt Ryan - Quarterback, Boston College

Rationale:
Joey
Harrington.
nuff said.

After suffering through 4 years of Harrington, I say that's one hell of a pick!

BuffaloSabresBrewer is now on the clock for the Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders will be taking DeSean Jackson, WR .

I had a little trouble picking for Oakland, but the Raiders have an obvious need in this area.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:

I had a little trouble picking for Oakland, but the Raiders have an obvious need in this area.

I'm now officially on the clock for the Chiefs. All trade offers for Darren McFadden and the top 2 DT's on the board will be considered.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:

Most mocks I saw had them going Ghoulston, but they do need a WR.

There has been a trade involving the 5th overall selection. The Dallas Cowboys are now on the clock.

I have to head to a meeting and I'll be back in about 30 min with the rest of the details.

Ok, here's my reasoning for making this trade and of course the details of the trade (I didn't make this trade on my own, BuffaloSabresBrewer held the Dallas pick at #28 so I wanted to make sure he agreed that it was realistic - he will retain the #28 pick for Kansas City).

Kansas City's biggest need right now is OL. After losing Willie Roaf and Will Shields to retirement in back to back years, the OL was one of the weakest spots on this team last year. The Chiefs would not have been able to get their pick up to the podium fast enough had Jake Long fallen to them here, but Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah and Chris Williams would all be reaches here. By trading down they pickup the extra picks and there a chance that one of these 3 may still be on the board, but even if they're all gone there is still good late round value in Sam Baker or Gosder Cherilus.

Jerry Jones made it known that RB is a need on his team. He let Julius Jones walk and there were even mumblings of a potential trade with the Dolphins involving Marion Barber. Jones' need for a RB and his desire to pick the top player to possibly ever come from the school where he's an alumni are just too much for him to pass up.

Kansas City gets picks #22, #28 #62 and #158 (1,752.2 draft value points)
Dallas Gets picks #5, #129 (1,743 draft value points)

So basically the Cowboys move up to #5, they give the Chiefs their 2 late first round picks, their 2nd round pick, and the teams swap 5th round picks.

The draft value chart used by most nfl teams is here: http://www.drafttek.com/tradechart.html

The Dallas Cowboys select Darren McFadden, RB - Arkansas.

RICLARK and the New York Jets are now on the clock.

Are we going to go 7 rounds? or is this a one round thing?

jzal8 said:
Are we going to go 7 rounds? or is this a one round thing?

Oh good lord no. We'd never get finished if we went 7 rounds. My plan was to just go 1 round, but if everyone involved wants to go 2 rounds I don't see why we couldn't.

With the 6th Pick in the 2k8 draft.....The New York Jets Select, Leodis Mckelvin (DB) Troy.

Rationale: The Jets will probably be losing Poteat into free agency and they really have no other viable option for ther secondary, they need a play making CB.

With the 7th pick the Patriots select Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB - Ohio State.

CB is a huge need for the Pats with the departure of most of their starting secondary from last year. They brought some people in (Fernando Bryant), but still need help in the secondary. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Mike Jenkins were both considered here, but Scott Pioli just can't pass up Gholston. He's a physical freak from one of the best college programs in the country.

The Pats have 3 LB's over 30. While Bruschi, Seau and Vrabel will all be back next year, they can't play forever. Gholston will be plugged in at OLB from day 1 and he will likely even see spot time at DE in nickel and dime situations and should make an immediate impact.

Limited Visibility is now on the clock for the Baltimore Ravens.

RICLARK said:
Does anyone else have a clipboard sitting in front of them with notes everywhere? Or am I just qeek?:D

You're not the only draft geek around here, that's for sure!

With the 8th selection in the 2008 Home Brew Talk Mock Draft the Baltimore Ravens will select Briam Brohm QB - Louisville.

Rationale: Baltimore needs a quarterback. With Matt Ryan going 3rd, Brohm only really has to battle the very small and undersized Troy Smith for the starting position.

I'm out for an offsite meeting at 2 pm today and I'm not sure if I'll have time to get online at home this evening to update, so things might get held up a bit until tomorrow morning.

We've gotten much farther than I thought we would after 1.5 days though. :rockin:

With the 9th selection in the 2008 HBT Mizzock Drizzaft, the Cizzincinatti Bizzengals select Glen Dorsey.

Rational: I suppose Cincy needs a DT because they teh suxxorz. I wish I had time to geek upon the draft, but rest assured, the pick that matters, Warshingtawn, is well-researched already.

With the tenth pick in the 2008 HBT NFL draft, the New Orleans Saints select:
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State

Rationale:
The Saints are in need of help at the cornerback position. They added Randall Gay, Jonathan Vilma, and Bobby McCray this offseason, but they still need a defender in the secondary who has real playmaking ability. Some people are not as hot on Cromartie because of the fact that he went to a small school, but appariently he had a good senior bowl and proved to be a beast at the combine, so the saints will take a chance.

For the eleventh pick the Buffalo Bills will select Mike Jenkins, Corner Back from South Florida.

Rationale: Terrence McGee is about all we have right now and its hurting us so this would help the team out tremendously. This pick would make a lot of sense but the Bills always seem to surprise me come draft day.

Back