Next Steps - Equipment Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainsax

Reaction score
Ok, SWMBO has agreed to let me get more brewing equipment :ban: after I finish caulking and painting baseboards and doors! I would like to get some advice/thoughts on what I should consider. I'm looking at spending around $100.

I want to focus on improving the quality of the beer overall. After that, making the brewday easier/more efficient. We are currently just doing extract brewing. Here is a run-down of our current setup:
- 10gal Tall Boy kettle
- copper wort chiller
- ferm fridge w/ digital temp controller
- kegerator w/ 3 taps

My current thoughts are:
- thermowell for carboys in ferm fridge (currently have probe attached to the side of the carboy with foam), should be able to build this myself, $10
- weldless kettle thermometer, $30
- oxygen tank and aerator stone (currently just shake the carboy until my arms fall off!), $50
- propane burner (currently boiling on stove top), $50

I'm open to any ideas or directions! Thanks!:mug:

If you are not mashing in your kettle, which you're not, there is no need for a thermometer.

If improving your beer is the goal with your next purchase I would suggest the following:

• Buy or build a stir plate and get a 2L flask,
• the O2 setup you listed,
• propane burner for full volume boils

If you are thinking of going all grain, I'd build a mash tun.

If you are considering a move to all grain, I would go with a propane burner-less to buy later.
If you plan on staying with extract and steeping grains, I would get both the thermometer and burner-just plan on brewing outdoors.
I would skip the thermo well, just as its accurate and easy on the side of a carboy.
The oxy tank is nice. I have one and only bought it to save my arms and ensure a good amount of aeration.

Sounds like a burner should definitely be on the list. At this point in our lives, with 5 young kids, the time commitment really rules out all-grain (unfortunately). We might get there some day...

• Buy or build a stir plate and get a 2L flask,
We have typically been using dry yeast. Do you see an increase in beer quality using liquid yeast and a starter over dry yeast (re-hydrated of course)?

We have typically been using dry yeast. Do you see an increase in beer quality using liquid yeast and a starter over dry yeast (re-hydrated of course)?

I brew with liquid yeast. There are probably more varieties of liquid than dry. If your beer tastes good now with no off flavors, you probably don't need a stir plate. That being said, you can build one for next to free with old computer parts. A flask is about $20, or you can use a growler, mason jar, etc (just not on the stove)

With a propane burner, you will be brewing in your garage and in winter. Its cold, but still manageable even in January.

I use both liquid and dry yeast. I love the options I get with liquid but still use dry every now and then. Technically all you need to do a starter is a jug to do it in but a stir plate increases your yeast production; more bang for your buck with the dme.

It's great that SWMBO is going to let you buy more brewing equipment. I personally never asked my wife for permission to do anything. BUT, it's completely possible that it is one of the reasons I'm no longer married. :drunk:

An alternative to the o2 is an aeration pump. It takes longer but costs less in the long run. (no buying o2 cylinders)

A stir plate makes starters more efficient and quick. Liquid yeast is not necessarily better but there are a lot more varieties.

A propane burner will be something you will most likely want when and if you go to all grain. It will allow you to go to full boils with the extract if you want to.

I too would skip the thermometer, You don't really need one on a boil kettle. I use a thermapen for all my temperature measurements. Even when cooking.

The aeration with pure O2 is something that sounds great but I'm not sure if it is overkill. I have a tendency to get a little carried away!

We haven't had any issues with contamination from room air, so maybe an aquarium pump (or the drill - thanks jrstaples1) would be an ok intermediate option. It just seems that the yeast would be happier with clean oxygen. We all know it's all about making the yeast happy!

I've been looking at burners and many of them say "Not recommended for use at high elevations". We live at 7,500ft which most consider high elevation.

Has anyone had any issues with running these propane burners at high elevations? Are there adjustments (other than the air intake) that need to be made?

Thanks!

FWIW when I made the switch to liquid yeast it improved my beers immensely. Of course I was also slowly getting more experienced but the sheer variety of yeast strains in liquid just cannot be beat IMO. Unless you exclusively make American style beers, I would definitely recommend making the switch

FWIW when I made the switch to liquid yeast it improved my beers immensely. Of course I was also slowly getting more experienced but the sheer variety of yeast strains in liquid just cannot be beat IMO. Unless you exclusively make American style beers, I would definitely recommend making the switch

I know less about yeast than anything else! Thus far, we have been brewing kits. I'm sure when we start creating/tweaking our own recipes yeast selection will become much more of a factor.

Back