Next step: Keg or AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzman

Reaction score
Looking back, what would you have done first? I've only done Extract/Partial mash kits so far and am ready to move on to the next step.

I have the fridge that I can convert for the kegs (thinking dual keg set-up) but would also like to get into AG brewing...The funds will only allow 1 adventure right now. All I can think about is pouring a nicely chilled IPA right from a tap handle on my fridge...but then again, there's the thought of more complex flavors and satisfaction from going AG...

So, what would you do?

Going AG isn't that expensive if you're already doing full boils. It's basically the cost of a cooler and some fittings.

That being said, I did kegging first because I just hate bottling that much.

For me, funds were an issue. Getting into AG was virtually free, plus it lowered the cost of brewing, so that was an easy choice.

Everyone's priorities are different.

I would say AG... as was said earlier if you are already doing full boils the only real expense with going AG will be a mash tun. I would wager you have an old cooler laying around somewhere so all you would need is some plastic tubing and a stainless braid.

Kegs. You can still make amazing extract beers and have it on tap without worrying about bottling. Going AG won't necessarily just make your brews better. You can still make bad beer AG and good beer extract.

That said, the switch AG really isn't expensive if you have a lot of brewing tools, unless you're really going all out and buying keggles or custom brewpots.

I went kegs first. It's amazing how much more you'll brew once you don't have to spend a day bottling anymore. Once you get the kegging worked out, then move to AG.

Full on +1 for the Kegs! There's something so sweet about pulling a fresh pint from a cold keg - hard to beat that!

Personally I'd say Both, as a lot of people already have said, if you got the money to get the Kegerator setup, the AG is not that much more. But I would defiantly go with Kegging, so much better than bottling

Kegging is nice. But I would not want to give up the control you have as an all grain brewer vs an extract brewer. Making the jump to all grain is not very expensive. You can use a turkey fryer for your burner. If you don't have a pot large enough for a full boil most turkey fryers come with an 8 gallon pot. The only other equipment you would need is about $20-$30 in hoses and fittings for a cooler based mash tun. If you have to buy the cooler they can be had at the end of the summer very cheaply. If you have to buy a turkey fryer and a cooler you can expect to spend about $100 on your set up. If you already have the pot, burner and a cooler I'd do both.

Going AG isn't that expensive if you're already doing full boils. It's basically the cost of a cooler and some fittings.

That being said, I did kegging first because I just hate bottling that much.

I actually jumped to AG first by about 2 weeks... then started kegging. I didn't mind bottling at all really, until I discovered kegging. Now, I cant imagine going back to it and I have about 300+ bottles in my garage I need to do something with. Maybe I will Craigslist them and say "come get 'em" :)

Looks like the opinions are leaning just a little towards kegging...

I'll have to see what coolers I have that might be a good candidate for mashing. I guess it really wouldn't take much to go to AG and then maybe a batch or two into it, go for the keg setup....Thanks for all the opinions everyone.

Kegging is nice. But I would not want to give up the control you have as an all grain brewer vs an extract brewer.

He's not giving up control, he's already an extract brewer.

If going to kegging somehow meant having to go back to extract, then yes, I could see it being a more painful decision. But if he's not at AG, then he's not really "losing" any control.

I went kegging shortly before going AG. Kegs have been fun, and great. But I never minded bottling and now I find myself bottling 4 out of 5 batches due to my desire to have as many individual bottles of a great beer around to do as I please when I please. And going AG was very easy. And it saved me $ right away!

So, AG for me baby!!!!

I found a 48qt rectangle cooler that will make a good mash tun, so thats this weekends project. Building the manifold and locating a turkey fryer. The only other expense will be a larger brew pot. Whats recommended for full boil 5 gallon batches that will minimize boil overs?

I found a 48qt rectangle cooler that will make a good mash tun, so thats this weekends project. Building the manifold and locating a turkey fryer. The only other expense will be a larger brew pot. Whats recommended for full boil 5 gallon batches that will minimize boil overs?

An 8 gallon pot will work OK. A 10 gallon pot will fit better.

I went kegging shortly before going AG. Kegs have been fun, and great. But I never minded bottling and now I find myself bottling 4 out of 5 batches due to my desire to have as many individual bottles of a great beer around to do as I please when I please. And going AG was very easy. And it saved me $ right away!

So, AG for me baby!!!!

I keg and then fill bottles off the keg.

I'd go AG. Yes, it gives you more control over your beer than brewing extract. It's not that you can't make great beer doing extract, but having your hands on the mash, rather than letting someone else do it, gives a feeling of accomplishment IMO. And it's not very costly if you have a decent extract equipment kit.

Kegging is great in that you don't have to bottle, but with a few pointers, bottling is neither hard, nor very time consuming. Yes it takes a little more time than kegging, but cost to get into kegging is likely going to be a few times that of going AG.

It comes down to how much you hate bottling, how much money you want to spend, and how much control you want over the properties of your wort, and how much time you want to spend brewing (AG takes an hour or two longer than extract, on average).

AG for me. I used be an extract and partial mash brewer, but I can't say enough about my switch to AG. I agree with others that there are good beers outside of AG, but I have consistently made excellent beer with AG and can't imagine ever going back. It's much less expensive as well.

I also have kegs, and I recommend going that route as well. However, I recommend sticking with quality and ownership/involvement in your brew creation as an exchange for 2 hours of bottling. It just seems worth it to me.

Me personally, looking back, I wish I would have kegged first. Bottling is such a PITA.

Do you have a good handle on Ferm temps? I know it wasn't one of your options, but if you don't already have something, I'd put a temp controller on your fridge and use it for fermenting in.

If you already have done that, KEG! And then the step to all-grain will happen quickly anyway, if you're like a lot of us.

Do you have a good handle on Ferm temps? I know it wasn't one of your options, but if you don't already have something, I'd put a temp controller on your fridge and use it for fermenting in.

If you already have done that, KEG! And then the step to all-grain will happen quickly anyway, if you're like a lot of us.

This is the best advice so far.

He's not giving up control, he's already an extract brewer.

If going to kegging somehow meant having to go back to extract, then yes, I could see it being a more painful decision. But if he's not at AG, then he's not really "losing" any control.

You never give up control when you brew your own. You just have more control with all grain than you do with extract.

You never give up control when you brew your own. You just have more control with all grain than you do with extract.

Having brewed both ways I don't think there is such a big difference. Everybody makes such a big deal over AG. It's really not all that.:eek:

I'd go AG first. My AG beer has been much better than the extract brews I made. Someone could say that I just got better at brewing as I went, and since extract was when I was learning then that's why it wasn't as good. But, I just don't think so.

Also, the money you save by AG vs. Extract will help you save for kegging supplies!

Having said this, I got kegging before going AG. Both improved my homebrew experience.

For me, I am pretty happy with my partial mash setup and I would simply die without my dual tapper. So for me, it would be kegging.

The difference between extract and AG is subtle.

The difference between bottling and kegging is light years.

Edit to add: If you wish to double or triple the amount of time you spend brewing for a product that is just barely perceptibly better, switch to AG.

If you wish to reduce the amount of time you spend making beer, keg.

Back