Newcomer here: When to rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhsquirrel52

Reaction score
Sorry for posting a "newb" question, but I looked around on the forums and I didn't find an answer that 1. I understood; or 2. was clear enough for me to know if it would apply.

I've made a strawberry/blueberry melomel. It's a 5gal batch and it's been in primary for about 2 weeks now.

The question:
At what point do I know when it's ready to be racked from the fermentation bucket, to the carboy?

Bonus newb question:
Does racking solely have the purpose of removing sediment and adding clearity?

Thanks to anyone willing to help me out :mug:
SKOL!

A good time for the first racking is when the fermentation is complete. I usually wait a week after fermentation is done, just to get some extra sediment droppage. Depending on your yeast, leaving your mead on the bulk of the lees (or yeast sediment) can create off flavors, while some yeasts are known for being good for "lees aging".

Racking is also done to get the mead off the fruit when that's all set, if you used fruit in a secondary.

There is no one answer for racking. Some people will literally never rack, and say that their mead turns out great. Others set schedules and rack frequently.

Racking will likely not hurt anything, but you will lose product in the process. You can also introduce oxygen if you are haphazard in your racking.

I am cheap, so every time I rack I think about that little bit of mead I am losing in the yeast slurry. Would I want to drink it, no. But, rack often enough and you'll lose a significant amount.

What I have seen from most people is a first rack after the initial fermentation is done. Then successive racking monthly till you have a crystal clear product. From there you have to figure out whether to bulk age or bottle age.

A good time for the first racking is when the fermentation is complete. I usually wait a week after fermentation is done, just to get some extra sediment droppage. Depending on your yeast, leaving your mead on the bulk of the lees (or yeast sediment) can create off flavors, while some yeasts are known for being good for "lees aging".

Racking is also done to get the mead off the fruit when that's all set, if you used fruit in a secondary.

Thanks MarshmallowBlue! So after the fermentation is complete I'll rack to the carboy. What should be the deciding factor of when I rack it again from the carboy?

There is no one answer for racking. Some people will literally never rack, and say that their mead turns out great. Others set schedules and rack frequently.

Racking will likely not hurt anything, but you will lose product in the process. You can also introduce oxygen if you are haphazard in your racking.

I am cheap, so every time I rack I think about that little bit of mead I am losing in the yeast slurry. Would I want to drink it, no. But, rack often enough and you'll lose a significant amount.

What I have seen from most people is a first rack after the initial fermentation is done. Then successive racking monthly till you have a crystal clear product. From there you have to figure out whether to bulk age or bottle age.

Great info as well, thanks Nitack! Great to have a place like this to post and have friendly folks help out.

I usually rack 3-4 times in the total process. Once after fermentation than one or two times in the middle if there is a lot of sediment build up. There needs to be a good amount or its not really worth it. Then finally one more time before bottling.

Sometimes, the fruit meads need extra racking because they always find more sediment to drop some how. If you look up the yeast you used and if it's good for lees aging, you may not need to rack again until your about ready to bottle as long as its clearing up nice.

Back