Newby, Fermentation seemed to quick,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milsey

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post on this forum, and first on any forum for that matter. I got a youngs brew kit and made up a batch of woodfords admiral reserve (beer kit) on sunday night. I am fairly happy I did the process well. Aggitated the worth and all the rest. Before putting the lid on the fermentation bucket I took a hydrometer reading of 1.040.
At no stage did I see any air bubles in the air lock. There has been about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch krausen so there has been fermentation. On checking this morning the krausen has dissapeared and i've taken a hydrometer reading of 1.020.
This is only day 3, Surely fermentaion wouldn't have finished so soon. It is kept at 20 degrees celcius (instructions say between 18 and 20). instructions say once you get a constant reading below 1.020 that the beer is ready but it seems to be ready far to quickly from what I read elsewhere. Can some one give me pointers or put my mind at rest with their previous experience and knowlege. Thanks for your help in advance.!

Some fermentations go fast some go slow. just give it some time. Don't be too hasty about taking it off the yeast,The yeast is still working cleaning up. Give it another week before you move it, at least. Good beer comes in time. Dont worry.

leave the beer in the bucket for 3 weeks. even though fermentation is complete (which you will know by having 3 consecutive days with the same gravity reading). the yeast are still working to clean up your beer. let them do their job and you will be rewarded!

Lack of bubbles in the airlock just means the CO2 took the path of least resistance, which in your case was a tiny crack in the lid. My lid seals wells sometimes, sometimes it doesn't but this has never affected my beer. So no worries about lack of bubbles.

I agree with both previous posters. Give it at another week. On the last 3 days of that week take your hydro samples to confirm fermentation is complete. Your temperature range is fine IMO.

My first beer did the same, it fermented very fast (2 days). But like others have said, don't move it out yet, just leave it for 2 weeks. Patience is key!

Time in primary aside, 1040 down to 1020 is a pretty weak beer. Take another gravity reading in a few days to see if SG is still dropping. Do you know what kind of yeast it was? I'd expect it to ferment down to 1012ish, ceteris paribus.

quit opeing it and leave it alone. It's only been a few days. You can either wait for 3 weeks all together or keep testing it and then start a "is my beer infected" thread in 2 weeks. patience will reward you !;)

Thanks all for the help. Patience is not something I have in buckets full but I will leave it for the duration. I was just concerned that the krousan was gone but I understand now there is more to the yeast than just fermentation. It conditions the beer for a while after also. Thanks again all. A sound bunch!

Latest posts

Back