Newbiew needing help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJC94

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just started a gallon and a half of cider but I only had a 5 gallon bucket to use. Will that cause a problem? Thanks for the help and sorry for the dumb question lol

I have asked the same question and have gotten the response that, no, it will not hurt anything. Just more headspace in the bucket so maybe a bit less activity in the airlock. Let us know how it turns out, as Cider is on my list of things to try one day and a gallon is a good place to start. I will let the pro's weigh in, but I have asked and you should be fine

And the only "dumb" question is the question unasked. No such thing as dumb, and believe me, my questions have pushed the limits. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!

That shouldn't matter for your initial (primary) fermentation. I do this all the time (5 litre batch in a 10 litre bucket).

The primary fermentation can be quite turbulent with a thick foam forming. This foam is a combination of solids in the juice and CO2 bubbles plus a layer of CO2 which forms a barrier to protect the cider from air (i.e. O2). It is a convenient way to keep a watch on progress but best not to disturb it too much. So, a bit of space prevents the foam from spilling all over the place, which can happen under airlock with a full primary carboy.

A bit of exposure to O2 at the start of fermentation isn't a bad thing, however once the foam settles, usually around SG 1.020 - 1.030 as the fermentation rate slows, conventional wisdom says that you need to consider racking the cider to a secondary container with little head space and an airlock to prevent excess exposure to O2 and consequent oxidation of the cider.

This is also a good time to review the cider to see if you need to plan on any adjustments to acid, pH, tannin, etc or add other stuff like fruits or hops.

It is worth putting a cloth over the bucket or a loose top on it to keep any flying nasties out.

I have the bucket sealed with an airlock already, should I still plan on racking it into a smaller container? If so how long roughly should i wait till I do so? I don't know what SG1.020 stands for.

I have the bucket sealed with an airlock already, should I still plan on racking it into a smaller container? If so how long roughly should i wait till I do so? I don't know what SG1.020 stands for.
A bucket sealed with an airlock will be fine. It will keep any nasties out. As you seem to have a lot of airspace in the bucket, I would rack to a smaller container to limit exposure to O2 once the foam settles. It sort of depends on how long before you plan to bottle or keg. Have you pressed your own juice or using "store bought". If the latter, you can use the original containers with an airlock.

SG is the specific gravity and is a measure of the density of the juice in relation to the density of water. In the case of apple juice, it correlates with the amount of sugar in the juice which is the main element affecting its density. So as the sugar is used up by fermentation and converted to alcohol and CO2 we can use SG as a proxy for its progress. SG is easily measured with a simple floating hydrometer.

Typical apple juice has a SG of 1.050 and when all the sugar has been used up by fermentation, it will have a SG of around 1.000, i.e. all that remains is water, flavour compounds and alcohol. So, SG in the range1.020 to1.030 indicates that fermentation is about half-way done and is about where fermentation slows to the point where the turbulent foam subsides (this is only a rough guide as the foam depends on the amount of solids in the juice, its level of nutrients, how enthusiastic the yeast is, etc).

Cheers

Back