newbie worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_ak

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just started my first brew on Sunday (an American wheat from one of those 'True Brew' kits). Everything went pretty well during the boil, though it didn't cool as fast as I was hoping in the water bath. I guess if it comes out, it might be a bit hazy, which I'm fine with for a wheat beer.

My newbie worries started up when I didn't notice any activity in the airlock (I know...I know...pay no mind to it). I figured I didn't have a great seal on my bucket, but was just too impatient to leave it alone. I peeked in, saw the krausen and felt good about it, a nice quick start fermentation. I'm ashamed to admit that I've gotten a bit worried since then. Peeked once more and saw the krausen (36 hours) and then again and didn't see the krausen (a bit after 48 hours). There was a temperature drop (has always been between 68 and 75, but it did drop from 75 to 68 within a day) between the second and third peek...and I guess I'm just wondering a few things:

(1) odds that all this peeking will ruin the brew with nasties or oxidation?
(2) did the temperature stall the yeast, or is the main event just cooling down?
(3) will it be okay to take a hydrometer reading from the main bucket at the 1-week mark as long as I sanitize it carefully? I don't have a wine thief...

All right. I'm sure these worried posts can be a bit annoying given all the stickies and whatnot. Just looking for a bit of insight/reassurance.

Thanks for making this site a phenomenal resource.

It's good not to peek all that often, but as long as the environment is relatively clean and you don't drop anything in there, it shouldn't do any harm.

That temperature range shouldn't stall the yeast. Even your lowest temperature is still pretty warm. Wheats can ferment quick, so the bulk of the fermentation being done in a few days isn't strange.

You can just float a sanitized hydrometer in the bucket if you like, but what I've generally done before getting a wine thief is sanitize a measuring cup, scoop that up, and pour it into the plastic tube my hydrometer came in. Then just drink the sample rather than put it back in: it's a small amount and gives you an indication of how your beer is coming along.

(1) odds that all this peeking will ruin the brew with nasties or oxidation?

Did you sneeze or spit in it? If not, it's OK. The krausen stuff sounds spot on. Get a glass carboy...you won't have to peek in! Definitely try to leave it alone, don't risk it.

(2) did the temperature stall the yeast, or is the main event just cooling down?

Nope, everything sounds fine. If anything, your temps look high. I bought a cheap container at Home Depot and put my fermenter in it. Once fermentation starts and I see my temps start to rise I put water in the container and add some ice. Keeping the outside temps ~66-70F is good. your fermentation is done, I would just prepare for your next batch (I can tell you're ready for #2).

(3) will it be okay to take a hydrometer reading from the main bucket at the 1-week mark as long as I sanitize it carefully? I don't have a wine thief...

My advice: leave it alone and don't take a reading for 3 weeks. When you are ready to bottle, take a reading then. Learn patience now and minimize contact.

:mug:

thanks all! mind is at ease (or rather, it's thinking about what to do for brew #2 !!)

i'll leave it alone and let the yeasties do their thing

Back