Newbie Vanilla java porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingnuty

Reaction score
Just racked to secondary yesterday, a vanilla java porter. This is my second real HB.

3.3# amber LME
3.3# dark LME
1# chocolate malt

1oz norther brewer (60min)
1oz willamette (30min)

S-04 rehydrated

3/4cup dark roast whole bean coffee (cracked)
2 madagascar vanilla beans, split and scraped

I steeped the chocolate malt in 160* water for 30min then added the LME.
Vanilla was split, scraped, then soaked in vodka to sanitize and promote flavors.

I made the recipe myself after looking at a few other porter recipes and reading about adding the vanilla and coffee. We'll see how it turns out, but it smells DELICIOUS!!!!

ForumRunner_20130325_183331.jpg

Mmmmm. I want some!

My dream is to make a vanilla caramel porter. A friend and I mix Saranac Caramel stout with Breckenridge vanilla porter.....SO good!

Anyway- keep us posted! I may ask to steal your recipe!

It turned out alright. What would've been better is if I had milled the grains before steeping. Hahahahahaha. Had a brain fart apparently at the hbs. The coffee went into secondary, not ground. I had taken whole beans and pulsed them in a food processor for 3 sec just to crack them. Coffee aroma was prevalent but flavor wasn't overwhelming. The vanilla also went into secondary, opened up the beans and scraped them into an ounce of vodka.

Back