Newbie to the kegging world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyNomad

Reaction score
Hi there -

I have read through the forums and performed a few searches and wanted to see if what i'm experiencing what would be considered "normal" as this is my first keg.

Steps:

- Cleaned/sanitized keg
- Transferred from Secondary
- Sealed and rolled around a few times to ensure no leaks
- Connected to CO2
- Pumped in 30psi for 2 days, 15 for a day
- Back to 6psi for serving

After 2 weeks, when pouring it's not foaming but develops a large head (refer picture). There doesn't appear to be a lot of carbonation in the beer.

The fridge is set at 38F.

Is this normal?! Thanks for any tips in advance.

Sean

Cream Ale.jpg

It depends on your preferences, but I personally seem to not get a lot of carb at 5-6, some people like it that awy, i tend to go up to about 9 or 10 psi to get it where i like it..> I'd try upping the PSI a bit to see if you can get more bubbles to the level you like. The foamy head is likely just due to the overpressure possibly left behind from being at 30/15 for a bit... if it didn't all absorb totally yet (Which seems unlikely since you're talking 2 weeks since start)

I did not see that you purged the air from the keg with co2 before rolling around, you will probably be ok but you increase oxidation risk by having the beer in a keg with o2 not purged out. also what is your line length and diameter? that has a lot to do with foaming/flat beers, also there is a chance of slight overcarbing as well

how long are your beer lines? 6psi serving pressure may be too low for you.

Eventually CO2 has to reach an equilibrium. Over the intervening two weeks (I'm assuming you have been drinking beers out of the keg over that time) the level of carbonation in your beer has dropped to be at equilibrium with the 6 PSI in your head space. Ideally you should carbonate it at your serving pressure (Unless your in a hurry). My process is this:

1. Clean and sanitize keg
2. Rack beer from fermentor
3. Hook up CO2 at serving pressure (mine tend to be from 10-15 PSI depending on beer style)
4. Wait a couple weeks
5. Serve.

Here is a good calculator for determining PSI to achieve a certain volume of CO2 dissolved in beer: http://www.kegman.net/equilibrium.html

2.5 volumes is a good average for most American styles of beers which equates to 11 PSI @ 38˚F. A pressure of 6 PSI @ 38˚F equates to about 2 volumes of CO2 and is probably only suitable for American Browns and some European styles. Of course your preference should be the final decision in carbonation levels for your beer.

At your low serving pressure if your lines are too long what CO2 there is may be coming out of solution before it gets to your glass. If you prefer the lower carbonation levels then you may need to shorten your beverage line.

Hey guys thanks for the input..to answer some questions. The line length is no longer than 3.5 feet and 3/16ths dia.

Chris - thanks for that link also it will come in handy.

Latest posts

Back