newbie to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomis

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just last weekend a buddy and I were sitting in my living-room drinking beer, when it suddenly struck me that it would be alot of fun to brew some beer of my own. I've been a beer coniseur(beer-snob,lol) for years now, so it just seems like the right thing to do to try my hand at brewing.
The next day, I went to my local brew supply store and got a kit with a 6.5g primary, secondary with bottling spiget, hydrometer, siphon, etc, a 3.3lb can of muntons amber malt extract, and a can of muntons "Yorkshire Bitter"hopped malt, yeast and priming sugar. Got that batch fermenting now.
Then I got to reading about AG. Went out and got all the grain, hops, yeast and priming sugar for a batch of Heffe Weizen:) Converted a cooler for sparging, got 2 5.5g pots, candy thermometers, etc. Paid like $190 all said and done:mad: , but I think I have everything I need now.
I've found a TON of useful info on this board. I'd apreciate any advise you all can give.

LOL....Hope you brew a few batches....by my calculations.......$190 /50 12 oz beers = $3.80 each. Still less then the tit*y bar beer. You can usually count on around 50 bottles from a 5 gallon batch. I may be off a bit.

loomis said:
Then I got to reading about AG. Went out and got all the grain, hops, yeast and priming sugar for a batch of Heffe Weizen:) Converted a cooler for sparging, got 2 5.5g pots, candy thermometers, etc. Paid like $190 all said and done:mad: , but I think I have everything I need now.
Hee hee.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I said that! :) Seems like I never have everything I need. All in all this is still a pretty inexpensive hobby as hobbies go.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the greatest hobby there is!

Beermaker said:
LOL....Hope you brew a few batches....by my calculations.......$190 /50 12 oz beers = $3.80 each. Still less then the tit*y bar beer. You can usually count on around 50 bottles from a 5 gallon batch. I may be off a bit.
Yeah but now I have everything I need to do future batches for like $25/5gallon:)

Latest posts

Back