Newbie to brewing, can't wait to get started.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KonaOrganic

Reaction score
Cheers !

A friend of mine is a long time homebrewer and when I mentioned I wanted to get set up to brew after I relocate and get settled, he suggested I join here and start reading. I have looked over his shoulder on a few brews but couldn't begin to expound on the science or the details of the process. He is consistently making yummy beers that we get to enjoy at home. The bar is set high for when I get started.

I'd like to duplicate what he is doing, but with lots of reading here, I may find some tweeks here or there that suite my situation.

Assuming that most forums prefer we make an introduction early on, perhaps this will hit the mark.

I am outside Washington DC for a few more months and then bound for the leeward side of the island of Hawaii. Given the expense of importing beer, my options for the yummy stuff will be limited. Kona Brewing company will be 40 minutes away and has some nice one off brews in the pub. Brewing at home will reduce the expense of my liquid diet and make for a rewarding activity. Being that we are moving to a Coffee farm, we'll have access to many natural ingredients. I am not sure how well hops will grow in our micro climate, but we'll see soon enough. Surely some variety will do well.

Any members in Kona? I see posts mentioning Hilo. I hope I can meet up with some seasoned brewers.

Cheers everyone !

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Many thanks. I have friends in Co that I hope to visit as soon as we are homeless. :mug:

If you are anything like the rest of us, you will not save any money with this hobby.

But... You will be awesome. There will be beer. It will be good.
Yeah, I knew as I typed the "saving money" reference that I'd be reminded of the error in this belief. Removing the cost of my time and equipment, I hope that my basic cost of materials to produce a tasty brew is less than buying something similar in the local grocery store.

With much reading yet to do, I hope awesomeness lies ahead for my brewing experience. I have a great mentor. I am looking forward to sharing the fermented bounty with visitors to our home.

Thanks in advance to all that share insight.

(A big question I have is about scoring the necessary gear to pack up with our personal stuff before the 6000 mile journey to our new home).

Back