Newbie returning - Stuck Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotneck

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in a couple years but a buddy of mine wanted to try a batch. he took a class and bought a kit...Nut Brown Ale...brewing went fine. Cooled the wart and put in the yeast...shake, shake shake...then took a sample and sealed up the bucket.

The original SG was 1.052. Good. But the bucket seemed pretty cool when it sealed up...I usually let the primary sit in a spare bedroom. That evening got unusually cold and by morning the bucket was still very cool to the touch. The room was 65. No action in the air lock that next day.

So I brought the bucket out into the loft that stays about 69-70 degrees. No action in the airlock until Tuesday...(3 days) and then just barely a few bubbles if you watch closely. After a few more days the bubbles stopped.

Took a sample today (a week after the brew). SG looks to be 1.11.

Could this thing be done? In less than a week?

You need time to let the yeast clean up after the party. Wait one more week and check gravity is stable.

Chances are the lid is not a tight fit. Air lock activity is a poor gauge to go by, and 65 is a good temp for most yeast strains. Sounds like the primary fermentation is done @1.011; give it a few more week to clean up before bottling. There is really no need for a secondary, unless you have something to add for flavor. I would leave it be. Cheers:)

1.11 or 1.011? If the latter, the attinuation looks fine. If the former, the gravity is higher than the og, which would be bizzarre.

Latest posts

Back