Newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny P

Reaction score
I have my primary buckets but am starting the search for vessels for secondary fermenting. I am on a tight budget! I read some information about using the refillable water bottles, but it was 10 years old. I wondered what the newest information on that is. Can I use for example the Primo 3 gallon re-fillable water carboys from Walmart? Or is there a better option? I KNOW I could go to Amazon and buy new, but again I am on a budget right now and checking out alternatives.

Thank you

Assuming the bottles are PET (recycle code 1) and food grade, yes, they're fine.
Look for info/reviews on using "Better Bottles" or "Fermonsters" for wine.

Depending on how long you're bulk aging, it'll help to keep an eye on free sulfite levels since PET is slightly oxygen permeable.

Cheers

Hey I was curious how I would go about finding someone who brews beer or wants to be a brewer for a company

I have my primary buckets but am starting the search for vessels for secondary fermenting. I am on a tight budget! I read some information about using the refillable water bottles, but it was 10 years old. I wondered what the newest information on that is. Can I use for example the Primo 3 gallon re-fillable water carboys from Walmart? Or is there a better option? I KNOW I could go to Amazon and buy new, but again I am on a budget right now and checking out alternatives.

Buying a glass carboy is your best option. The plastic is permeable to oxygen and will eventually lead to bad things in your wine like @RPh_Guy said. The glass carboys will last forever and can be cleaned very well, unlike plastic which is more difficult to sanitize.

Back