Newbie question: How fast should it bubble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heatherpedia

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of cider. I used "natural" apple juice and Lalvin EC-1118, and added a bit of yeast nutrient. I can tell it is fermenting, but it is not fermenting very vigorously. On day 2, it was bubbling about once every 15 seconds, and now on day 4 it is bubbling about once every 6 seconds. Did I do something wrong? Not enough oxygen? Is there anything about slow fermentation that will make the cider go bad?

Your cider is just fine. Anything from just a little foam or bubbles on the surface to blowing the lid off indicates fermentation. Just let it ride until it is crystal clear.;)

I agree, it sounds like it's going fine. Lalvin EC-1118 is a beast--I've had fermentation with that yeast go from 1.075 to 1.000 in four days flat.
But at other times, with more complicated sugars or at lower temperatures, EC-1118 can take its time. (and taste better!).
You can take an SG reading now if you want, but unless you're going to stop fermentation before it's done (e.g. cold-crash, pasteurize, potassium sorbate), I'd wait a few more days.

It's difficult not to want to see it, or listen to it, but i t's doing something. Try to hide it for at least a week and just let it do its thing.(unless you're aiming for the sweet cider).

Admittedly, I keep looking in on mine every few days whenever I'm doing something, just to see it.

Thanks for the responses. I think for this batch I'm aiming for a dry cider that I'll make sparkling.

How do I use a hydrometer to know when fermentation is done? Does it work differently for cider than for beer? I didn't measure it before fermentation.

I would guess it is slow fermenting because your cider temp is a bit low. Shoot for 68F ish - temp of the must, not the ambient air.

Hydrometer use will be the same for any liquid.
You can get more juice to measure it, although if it was cider or juice without any additives, including filtered water, the original gravity seems to be somewhere around the 1.040-1.050 range.
I recommend getting more of the same juice, taking a sample to measure it, and let the rest start fermenting too!

also - temp maters with your hydro reading. The warmer the sample the less gravity it will appear to have. Try to do your hydro reading at room temp (~68F)

Latest posts

Back