Newbie question, Beer equipment for wine & vice versa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drookit

Reaction score
Guys,

Sorry for the stupid newbie question, but...............

I searched HBT and didn't find a "real" definitive answer to the question.

Can I use my wine making equipment for beer and wine?

Thanks!

Ken

You sure can. My mom used to make wine and when she heard I wanted to start making beer she gave me all her equipment. The bucket, carboys, tubing, hydrometer, etc. is all the same.

In the search of HBT, the only thing I saw was the chance for off flavoring.

I'd like to brew beer in the winter, then use the same equipment in the summer for the wild berries and other "wild" things available locally to make wine with.

Thanks!

Ken

I would think as long as you clean it and sanitize very well you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

You absolutely can. However, plastics do retain some flavor. So, if you do something with a really strong flavor and then try to switch to something mild you could end up with some extra flavor. Going from say, a high ibu ipa or lambic to a peach wine comes to mind.

Glass does not retain flavor, so anything made from glass will be perfectly fine as long as it has been thoroughly cleaned. The same is true of things that have minimal contact with the brew. Airlock, bottling bucket, etc...

You will need some additional equipment to do the boil for beer, as that isn't something one generally does with wine.

I have dedicated fermenters (plastic buckets) to keep the lingering tastes separate. That's really important since I like to do big and/or hoppy beers. Everything else (airlocks, auto siphons, tubing, thief, glass carbons, etc.) I share.

Thank you very much guys!!!!

Kinda suspected plastics might tend to hold some flavoring.

I'll go the dedicated fermentor route.

Again, thanks!

Ken

Guys,

Sorry for the stupid newbie question, but...............

I searched HBT and didn't find a "real" definitive answer to the question.

Can I use my wine making equipment for beer and wine?

Thanks!

Ken

I wouldn't do it, the wine bucket will stain and make the beer have a little after taste of wine. If using a brew bucket of course. If it's a glass car boy then by all means it will work.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't noticed any problems from using the same buckets for both wine and beer. I do give them a good long soak in oxyclean and rinse very well, and sometimes repeat that process several times.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I haven't noticed any problems from using the same buckets for both wine and beer. I do give them a good long soak in oxyclean and rinse very well, and sometimes repeat that process several times.

Your fermenter is empty long enough to soak? :D I don't even let the water dry on it before the next batch goes in! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back