Newbie Problem: Airlock and bucket lid exploded!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrisonhud

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Greetings! I have recently returned to homebrewing, and it seems I've had a serious failure with batch number one. I had brewed several batches of beer with a buddy a few years back, but recently decided to get back into it. I brewed a batch of Brewer's Best IPA Saturday evening, and thought everything was going well .....

Well, I just went into the basement to do laundry and check that my airlock was still bubbling, and found the lid to my bucket, with airlock still attached, sitting beside the bucket. I'm guessing I should have used a blowoff hose here, or what? Never seen this before.

I'm assuming this batch is ruined, given that it was exposed to my scary basement overnight? I've read about the CO2 blanket in cases where the airlock ejected, but what about the whole lid? I carried the bucket upstairs to poor it out, but then decided to wait until I got some expert advice from you all.

Thanks!

I say sanitize the lid and put it back on! If it ends up being a dumper, at least you tried to save it. Otherwise it may still turn out to be a good batch of beer. I've gotten into the habit of always using a blow-off for the first couple days, or until I know it's not going to blow over, then transition back to the airlock.

Good luck!

I would recommend against dumping it. The amount of CO2 coming out will keep any infection at bay until you can get your lid sanitized. After you sanitize your lid put it back on and rig up a blow off tube. I had this happen with an imperial stout last weekend and I did just what I told you to do. I checked it yesterday and the kreusen had fallen with no sign of infection. Good luck.

Do you get sick nearly every time you go to your basement? If so, your beer probably did too. If not (usually the case) you beer is probably fine. Clean up the lid, sanitize it and put it back on.

Back