Newbie on Okinawa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, HBT - I just created an account & thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm a newbie to homebrewing, eagerly soaking up everything I can find about the hobby & trying to produce something drinkable in my kitchen. My experience so far includes one Mr. Beer kit (which came out pretty poorly) and one 5-gallon kit from Midwest Supplies, which just went into bottles a couple days ago. There's a chance I've ruined that one too... we'll find out in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to starting another batch soon & fixing my mistakes.

I'm active Air Force, stationed on Kadena AB in Okinawa, Japan. That definitely presents a little bit of a logistical hassle since I pretty much need to ship everything from CONUS via USPS, but I met a few guys here who homebrew and they make it work, so, why not? It's tough to buy quality beer here anyway. Anyone else brewing on Oki?

Welcome aboard! I'm new here too, but I've spent some time in Okinawa. Have you been to Helios in Naha? It's not bad for Japanese craft brewing. Also, I heard that there are some guys up in Yomitan trying to get something going: called Okinawa Brewing Company. I don't know if the are up and running, but they might be able to help you source some stuff locally. Finally, there are some pubs that are serving better beer: Rize in Chatan and another in Kumoji (Naha) called Baku.

I've heard about Oki Brew Company; there's some signs in town... Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately there's still a curfew on US troops; the current rule is 2 drinks max, and it has to be with dinner at a restaurant (not a "bar"). The rule is doing a lot of damage to the local economy and I think everyone wants it to go away.

Still an great place to be stationed & the curfew used to be a lot worse than it is now!

Thanks for the awesome welcome, everyone.

Also, have you checked out Pizzakaya, that pizza place in Chatan at the American Village? When I was there this summer, they had some good West Coast stuff on tap.

Welcome aboard! There are definitely Okinawa brewers and you will be able to find their group on FB mostly, not so much on HBT. I have never been down to Oki but like someone said, check out pizzakaya. I sent a couple hops rhizomes to a manager of the place back in the spring, she was passing them on to some homebrewers. Leads me to believe that if you go to the pizza and beer place you will find connections to the other homebrewers in your area.

You don't need to ship everything from the US, there are 2 main sources domestic in Japan; Advanced Brewing, and Brewland (used to be called sakeland...). They have websites in Japanese but I am sure you can find a way to make it work. There are limits to the variety of supplies for sure, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

If you want, you might as well join the Japan group on HBT! I don't think we have any US forces in our group yet, the Okinawa brewers tend to stick to themselves a bit - probs cause it isn't totally legal to brew anything over 1%abv here... Anyway, find the big Japan thread on here too and you will find some files I have been putting together with resources for homebrewers to find stuff they need in the country. Its more focused on the Kanto area but any of the online shops will work down South too.
Cheers!

I'm living in Yomitan now; I'll see what I can find on the Okinawa Brewing Co. I did have a bottle of local brew that was better than your average beer found on Okinawa. It may have been brewed by OBC.

Back