Newbie needs help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knoxgoalie

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my first batch, just racked to secondary on Monday...I sanitized like crazy but something looks weird. I'd love some opinions on this to see if it's still ok...I think it's just some trub but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for any help

image-2724875986.jpg

looks like hop debris to me..what kind of hops did you use(pellet/leaf/plugs) and a lot? how did you transfer into the secondary? do you remember seeing a lot of trub/particles being transferred alongside your beer?

It was 3 oz of pellets. And it was my first time using the siphon and I didn't do a great job, saw a lot of gunk goin through...it doesn't look particularly nasty on top so I figured I was ok but I'm nervous cuz it's my first haha

It does look like hop pellet debris....it will fall with the krausen and settle into the trub/yeast cake. Some people filter this out from the boil kettle, but lots of people don't, and both produce great beer. Don't worry about it!

Latest posts

Back