Newbie mistakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurioso

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm on my first batch of mead and I think I've made a mistake 'cuz my fermentation has been stuck at 1.108 for a week or so. But let's go through the essentials first:

OG: 1.160
Yeast: Mangrove Jack's M05
Nutrient: Fermaid O
Honey (Gave SG: 1.152)
Table sugar (To boost it up to 1.160)
Temp: 22C (71,6F)
Date of pitch: December 2:nd.

I can't measure my pH-levels so I don't know about that.

I made a yeast starter and pitched it (it started fermenting almost at once so I pitched it like 2 or 3 hours after making it) and I read from an online source to pitch nutrients every other day and to stir it gently every day so that's what I did.

Did I make a fatal blunder anywhere?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I orderd a packet of Lalvin EC-1118 to try and start it back up again. Will it even work? Would I be better of with a turbo yeast?

Edit 2: In a sudden turn of events it's fermenting strong again, dropping from 1,108 to 1,102 in a few days. Never mind this thread then...

Double check your gravity and post date of pitch and temps if you can.

Hi!

I'm on my first batch of mead and I think I've made a mistake 'cuz my fermentation has been stuck at 1.108 for a week or so.

Edit 2: In a sudden turn of events it's fermenting strong again, dropping from 1,108 to 1,102 in a few days. Never mind this thread then...

Not being a prick but dropping 6 points in a couple days isn't going strong in my book. I typically drop 50 points in less than a week.

I see you're pushing the yeast in terms of final ABV. I know some recipes suggest this if you want residue sweetness, but personally I preffer it to go dry and rather stabilize and backsweeten. This puts less strain on the yeast and as such reduces aging time.

It seems to be typical for meads to ferment slowly, and if it's getting stuck it seems most of the time to be a problem with either lack of nutriens or too high acidity. If it's going, I suggest you just keep it going till it stops completely. Remember to rack it off the lees every now and then!

If I wanted to speed up the fermentation, could I make another stater with a more aggressive yeast and pitch that into first fermentation?

If I wanted to speed up the fermentation, could I make another stater with a more aggressive yeast and pitch that into first fermentation?

Yes, but be aware that any other strain yeast you add will change the charasteristics of the final mead. ;)

Yes, but be aware that any other strain yeast you add will change the charasteristics of the final mead. ;)

I'm far to pressured for time to worry about characteristics :D As long as it's drinkable by late July (viking reenactment coming up) I'll be a happy camper!

A different yeast might not be able to take over but if it does it will be just a second fermentation and will just effect overall flavor and alcohol content. If anything just re-pitch some of the same yeast unless you like yeast crapping out two differing profiles and having it in same jug. In the end if you are pressured for time and such then mead is not going to be a good hobby lol. Try beer as it goes into the bottle fast. Even those 'fast' meads take about a month, thats if you like the flavor at that point.

A different yeast might not be able to take over but if it does it will be just a second fermentation and will just effect overall flavor and alcohol content. If anything just re-pitch some of the same yeast unless you like yeast crapping out two differing profiles and having it in same jug. In the end if you are pressured for time and such then mead is not going to be a good hobby lol. Try beer as it goes into the bottle fast. Even those 'fast' meads take about a month, thats if you like the flavor at that point.

Yeah, I was a bit late to think of making it but as this is a rushed thing I have to settle for non perfect.

Next time I'll try to have the next batch going a year in advance.

Dont need a year really. I drink most of mine at 6mo and some sooner though I do try to save a bottle/jug to age it more so I can be fancy, i kid.. :D

Oh and just toss more of the same yeast you are doubling the yeast eating the sugars which should cut down the time quite a bit but it can only quicken it soo much. If you add a different yeast look for a quick fermenter but I only use lalvin d47 these days and it isn't what you would call fast.

Well... My ADHD kicked in full force and I went ahead and added turbo yeast (made for fermenting down to 20% ABV in 24 hours). The mead jumped down from 1.102 to 1.092 in no time at all but now it hasn't moved from there in several days.

Should I just give up, rack it och settle for a 9% mead with a lot of residual sweetness? I like sweet stuff so it doesn't taste bad but I was really hoping for something a bit stronger.

Fermentation can stick from time to time go get tinder and find someone who likes Netflix ;) and in the words of a great singer, let it be.

This is all news to me so I'm really thankful for all the information! :D

Back