newbie mistake with Gypsum overdose - can it be fixed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcadiaacres

Reaction score
I posted this in the general thread a few days ago but then discovered this forum. I'm wondering if there's a some Brew Science experts that can help.

For my third batch of beer, I found a recipe for a Chocolate Raspberry Stout. The recipe called for "gypsum to create hard water" which I purchased and which came in a small ziploc baggie. I added the gypsum at the start of the boil but it wasn't until later that I noticed the instructions on the gypsum said to use 1-2 tsp per 5 gal. I had put the entire amount, 2 oz, into the boil.

I have since learned NOT to mess with trying to modify the water composition (at least at my level of expertise), but I didn't realize that was what the gypsum was for in the recipe. I have now read and will adhere to what Mr. Palmer says: if your water tastes good, your beer will taste good.

For now, I'm letting this stuff sit in a secondary and just see what happens. But, I'm wondering if there is any kind of scientific approach (i.e. adding something at this point) to counter-acting all that gypsum.

The original thread is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/can-beer-saved-303138/

thanks in advance

As to undoing the addition there is nothing that can be done at this point. However, I would taste the beer - now. The strong flavors in a stout can mask many an error - this is why it is often recommended as the first thing a new all grain brewer should try. If it is awful you can dump it. If not too awful, then let it ferment out and try again.

Nope nothing can be done. But the good news is you have made beer. Don't worry and chalk it up to experience. I wouldn't dump it even if it seems awful. Finish it out put it away and come back later. You worked hard on it so give it a chance.

Latest posts

Back