Newbie mistake - a head slapping moment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddubduder

Reaction score
In my haste to get my new kegging system up and running I didn't quite do my homework on what to do/not do. I cleaned everything, loaded the keg and tried to burst carb. Everything seemed great last night, I got enough carbonation to make me feel like I knew what I was doing. I put everything in my keezer and went to bed. In the morning I checked it and it seemed kinda flat compared to yesterday. I had dropped the psi back down to 10 for serving and questioned that decision so I cranked it back up to 30 psi. I just checked it, about 4 hours later and to my surprise I had an empty keg... I had forgotten to remove the beer line and my picnic tap couldn't hold the pressure. So now it have a swimming pool of beer in my freezer and lost my entire batch.

Learn from my mistake, disconnect beer line when at high psi.

GHEESH!. That's lousy luck. I don't go to 30psi very often, but I know I've had beer line on there then. I'll make sure not to do that.

Sorry for the loss of beer. Never want to hear that. :(

"Burst-carbing is bad, mmmkay. Don't burst-carb".
Mr_Mackey.jpg

Cheers! ;)

Cobra taps do not tolerate pressure well. Keep it low with them. Metal faucets work so much better and can stand up to higher pressures.

DrunkleJon said:
Cobra taps do not tolerate pressure well. Keep it low with them. Metal faucets work so much better and can stand up to higher pressures.

I'm fairly certain that is exactly where the leak sprang from. It's a sucky mistake but one that is forever engrained in my skull now. When I first noticed it, I yelled out "no!"... Apparently it was so bad that my wife came running into the garage thinking I was dying, lol.

Back