Newbie looking for some supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny P

Reaction score
I am a winemaking newbie, My plan is to make some fruit wines with the fruit from my yard. I purchased a small fruit kit to start, but I already have a number of the things needed. I have a collection of 3-gallon food grade lidded buckets I plan to use as a primary. BUT I need to find bags to use in them, where would I find such a thing?

Thank you

Skip tops and bags. Ferment primary with light cloths over the bucket. Then rack to a carboy and airlock. Cheers

I (and I think a lot of other people) use elastic opening paint strainer bags. I use 5 gallon versions for fruit and 1 gallon versions for hops/spices/herbs. I get them at Home Depot (HDX house brand). They can also be had on Amazon and a bunch of other places online. There are drawstring closure versions out there, too (usually more expensive in my shopping around), that are marketed for other purposes than paint. Some of them are finer mesh as well. I've not had a reason to try them as the paint strainer bags work very well for me. I use thin kitchen twine that I boil for sanitation to tie the bags shut if needed.

Now that I've used them, I will not turn back as it really does help remove a great deal of junk from the fermenter before racking.

I just set the lid on my buckets. My 8 gallon bucket has a grommet hole which I put a paper towel on to keep out bugs. Co2 easily comes out and I don’t have the towel falling in getting soaked. Lots of fun fruit recipes. I too think paint bags are great. I sanitize my small 2 gallon bucket, pull bag of fruit, squeeze, place bag in 2 gallon bucket, stir, take SG reading and return bag back to fermenter. Easy peasy.
Cheers

I love the education of this site, sorry guys I dont want to run away with the thread but what is a 'paint bag'? o_O When I first rack from my 25ltr into demijohns I use a mug:coff4: and the small plastic strainer from the kitchen draw and a funnel, a spoon to help scrape the strainer and a bowl to put the crud in.
Please tell me where I can get one of these bags and are they easy to use? :ban:

I love the education of this site, sorry guys I dont want to run away with the thread but what is a 'paint bag'? o_O When I first rack from my 25ltr into demijohns I use a mug:coff4: and the small plastic strainer from the kitchen draw and a funnel, a spoon to help scrape the strainer and a bowl to put the crud in.
Please tell me where I can get one of these bags and are they easy to use? :ban:

HI I checked a couple places in town before I found some at Sherwin Williams. Picked up 2 1 gallon size, and 2 5 gallon size, I should be set!

Hi, I am glad you are sorted out, I wasn't kidding with my last post, never heard of painters bags, I actually put another thread in here to find out lol.

Making wine has become my hidaway hobby, or "It's mine"! it is the only time I am left alone with only scowling looks of "You better clean up that mess" being the only interuption.

Have fun.

Back