Newbie, how many kegs in a 7cu ft freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michele Craft

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm very new to all this and we are in the process of finishing a basement where we'll put a bar in. I don't home brew (yet) but have two friends that do. I'd like to have 4 taps going and from reading here, thought a 7cu ft fridge would be enough but now that I have a chance to buy one, I'm not so sure.

I'd likely be using nothing bigger than a sixtel or corny keg which I believe are 9 to 10" in diameter. The fridge I saw on marketplace is 24x15" in the main part with an 8x15" ledge. Seems like 4 wouldn't fit in there plus the CO2. It'd be going in the back bar with black iron pipes as the taps (tower cooling method TBD) and tho I want taps on top, I plan to build a collar to help raise it up (we're talk people) and then have it on casters so we can pull it out away from the wall to refill. I also was thinking I'd just build the top right into the collar VS using the existing top.

Does it sound like this freezer will work?

Thanks in advance!

If you are going with a collar then you certainly can fit 4 in the worst case just by making the collar tall enough: 3 in the pit and 1 on the hump.

Depending on the precise dimensions of the pit you might be able to fit 4 ball locks in it and leave the hump open while using a smaller collar.

It's hard to provide more guidance than that because a small difference in measurement can mean different possibilities: I have two 7 cu ft freezers and while they only differ by less than an inch (trading depth for width), one can fit 4 in the pit while the other cannot.

This is very helpful, thank you! It sounds like with a collar since I need it for height anyway I'd be fine either way. I think I need 31" outside flange to outside flange for my taps so that should be OK too.

I didn't realize ball lock VS pin lock would have possibly different sizes. I thought a sixtel was a sixtel or is that the difference between a corny keg and a slightly bigger sixtel?

When I saw 24"x15" in the pit I got worried because while I know they'd have to be staggered, it seemed like an issue for 4 9-1/4" diameter sixtel but it sounds like I'll be fine.

With a 24x15 pit you would be able to fit either:
  • Three 9" pin lock
  • Three 8.5" ball lock
  • Two 9.25" sixels and one pin or ball lock
In each case, you can fit one more keg of any type on the hump if the collar were tall enough.

Note that this is different than what I said above in that you CANNOT fit four sixels.

Back