Newbie here - Does this all look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chandler C Baez

Reaction score
First off, this is a pretty long post so thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read through this and offer any suggestions and/or help; I greatly appreciate it as I'm completely new to mead making and while I've done a lot of research it still doesn't compare to experience.

So I have my parents coming at the end of November for Thanksgiving, and my In-Laws coming in December for Christmas; I was thinking about trying to put together a nice sweet, spiced holiday cyser. I've been trawling around the internet for the past 2 days studying all I can about making mead at home; I've read through tons of recipes, read plenty of forums and articles about different techniques, etc., and I think I've come up with what I hope to be a pretty good recipe. I just want to get someone to look over it and see if what I have here makes sense (it should, since I've based it off of other recipes and run different proportions through calculators, etc.) and maybe see if someone has done something similar.

Recipe:
1 Gallon Apple Cider
3lbs Honey
1 Packet Red Star "Premier Blanc" (I couldn't find a definitive tolerance range for this yeast, some pages say 12% others say 13%-15%)
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 Cinnamon Stick (Broken)
1 Nutmeg (Crushed)
1 Clove (Whole)
1 Vanilla Bean (Split/Scraped + Body)

*August 15*
- Pour honey into carboy, fill halfway with cider, shake to dissolve honey
- Add remaining cider to carboy, leaving enough space for the activated yeast mixture, **Measure SG
- Add yeast mixture, cap with airlock

*September 12*
- Rack to new carboy (fermentation should be done)
- Add spices in bag, taste fairly regularly and remove when adequate

*October 27*
- Rack only if needed (sediment at bottom of jug)
- Add oak spiral (American Oak, Medium Toast, 8" long, 1" wide)

*November 17*
- Remove oak spiral
- Cold crash (1 week)

*November 24*
- Rack while cold
- Warm to room temp in new container
- Add stablizer (K-META, package says 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons, I plan to dissolve 1/4 tsp in about 100ml water and then using 1/6 of that)

*November 25*
- Add stabilizer (K-Sorbate, 1/2tsp)

*November 26*
- Add bentonite to clarify if needed (2 tsps bentonite into 1/2 cup of boiling water, create slurry, let sit and cool for 4 hours or more to fully hydrate, add 1tbsp slurry if only somewhat cloudy, 2tbsp if very cloudy)

*November 24*
- Rack, then bottle from new container

I'm planning, of course, to degas this regularly and follow strict sanitization procedures (just wouldn't be good to add in 7,000 steps listed of sanitizing and degassing).

A big question I have here:
With the specific yeast I'm using and the amount of sugar in use I'm expecting maybe 13%/14% abv at most, I've used a few calculators to try and parse this out but there should be plenty of sugar for the yeast to fully ferment to tolerance with plenty of sugar left over for the sweetness...does this check out?

Thanks again to anyone who took the time to read through all of this.

Looks like a pretty good plan. Consider researching TOSNA 2.0 or 3.0 and follow the advice there.

In my opinion that could get you near a drinkable or good mead by November. This aproach without it will take a while to age. Could be a few months to a year.

Premier Cuvee if I remember correctly has roughly a 14% tolerance and could go higher. (Memory isn't as good as it used to be could be wrong.) Regardless It will likely chew through all the sugar and end dry with little to no residual sweetness. You could always treat the end mead with sulfate and sorbate and sweeten it a bit after. A sweeter mead helps the flavors for the aging process as well

Your dates could shift a bit based upon how well the ferment goes. That's OK it's an inexact process.

Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

IMO "Big" Meads (ABV > 11) need some time to mature and age out undesirable flavors. Some for me can be ok at a few months but many take a year. Set a bottle or two aside if you can spare it and dont touch them for at least a year. You will be surprised in the difference even if it is good in November 2019 it will be great in November 2020.

Awesome, good to hear! I'll definitely look into that, I've heard a of a lot of people using TOSNA as opposed to more basic SNAs with generic nutrient, so I'd imagine it must be pretty good but I'd never really looked into it much.

Yeah, I do want to hold on to some of this for aging to see how it comes out, I'm still shooting to have something decent and drinkable by Thanksgiving time though (I haven't afforded myself the luxury of time :D).

Also I'll try looking into a yeast with a bit lower of an alcohol tolerance so I can hopefully end up with something sweeter without having to backsweeten; I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea but, "if I can adjust my yeast before starting the process why bother with the extra work," is kinda my thought process on that.

I appreciate the notes and advice, cheers!

Also I'll try looking into a yeast with a bit lower of an alcohol tolerance so I can hopefully end up with something sweeter without having to backsweeten
That technique seldom seems to work, based on what I've read. Have not tried it personally. Yeast wants to ferment and all those simple sugars from honey and apple juice are like candy. So, be forewarned, it may go all the way to below 1.000. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be undrinkably dry. Before bottling, try it and see if you need to backsweeten. Good luck, I like your plan and your recipe.

Ah, well I suppose I'll hope for the best, if I have to backsweeten I'll backsweeten -shrugs-, thanks mate!

+1 To Welcome!...and i haven't made a lot of cyser, but i'm thinking, 1 gal ain't going to be enough to get your entire family, immediate and extended, even buzzed....

i'd recommend getting a larger bucket, and doing a 3 or 5 gal batch..... :)

My wine and mead batches are all 1G. Makes 4 wine bottles plus a largish glass at bottling time. For me, it's the perfect size and means I can do several varieties without having to hope that any 1 batch turns out well. The drawback- when something turns out really well, I wish I had more.

For a drinkable product sooner, the TOSNA and BOMM (both are protocols for staggered nutrients and degassing) should be followed. the big issue with Apple wine/cyser is the abundance of malic acid that is very noticeable when you get to higher ABV.

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone! I've looked into TOSNA 3.0, and I'll be using the calculator over on Mead Made Right when making my upcoming batch.

I have 4 1gal carboys, so what I was thinking of doing was making a few batches (of varying sweetness) and seeing what comes out best, then next time I come around to another batch I'll probably just make that one en masse!

My targets will be 1.05, 1.04, 1.03, 1.02 (So basically Sack down to Semi-Sweet) but all the same spices, etc. as above (just adjusting for sweetness).

I second the recommendation for BOMM - it's a sticky thread at the top of the Mead forum. I have made over a dozen Meads/Bochets/Ciders/Cysers using the nutrient protocol (TOSNA?) and yeast recommended for BOMM. Wyeast 1388 (the original recommended) and also with 2 of the dry yeasts that had favorable results in experiments (CBC-1 and Abbaye). Your 1 gallon of 14% mead will drop to 1.000 in less than a week, you can "kill" the yeast in 2 days, backsweeten and then have drinkable mead in 30 days and amazing mead in 90 days.

Just to add need to use pectalaze pectic enzyme. because apples has pectin in them that will cause haze.

Back