Newbie from Dallas, TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASassyBeerChick83

Reaction score
Hey, everyone!!

Newbie here!! My husband and I are about to start brewing our first home brew!! :) We bought a Bock Brew Kit. I am excited!! :-D However, being the first brew - a bit unsure, still. Wanting to make sure I correctly brew my first batch...

Any help would do, guys!!

Cheers!

Peace & Love

Welcome and good luck. I assume you are doing an extract version? A few general tips:

Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize! Anything that is touches the beer needs to be sanitized! Spoons, strainers, bottles, the bucket or carboy. Use a good sanitizer that does not need to be rinsed like Starsan.

If you have not already, read John Palmer's How to Brew for a general understanding of the brewing process!

Assuming you are doing stove top, take the pot of the heat when adding the malt extract, especially dry malt. This will allow you to stir it in while it does not scorch and it will prevent the malt from foaming up and over!

Don't walk away from the boiling pot, that's when it will boil over, especially when you add in the hops! Cleaning caked on burnt wort from your pot and stove is no fun! If you see it rising, lower the heat for a few minutes or pull pot off the heat.

Make sure you cool you beer down to the proper pitching temp! If you yeast has say a 65-72 degree suggested range, try to cool it (in ice bath in sink) down to in that range because once the yeast goes to work, it will heat up the temp. If doing ice bath, cover the pot so you don't splash water into the beer!

Try to keep a constant temp while the beer is fermenting. You don't want it to have a wild temp swing as it will effect the flavor of the beer. Try to keep in a cool dark place. If it gets too hot, put carboy/bucket in a tub of cool water or put a wet towel around the carboy/bucket to keep it cool.

Most importantly, relax and have a beer while you are making your beer!

Hey!! Hey!! Hey!! :mug:

Thank You!! I am trying to get as much help and advice as possible before my brewing starts - officially - next Friday & Saturday. This is my first brew - and the hubby & I decided to go for a Bock Brew.

As far as Sanitizing - I have IODOPHOR Sanitizer. It's the sanitizer that came in my kit... I am not sure - yet - how I am going to use it... Idk if to run it all through my dishwasher with the hot heat on - using the sanitizer - or if I just should soak everything in a sink, dry and then go. Should by boiling pot be totally sanitized?

Thanks for the Welcome!
I am looking forward to receiving a lot of great help!!

Peace & Love.
:mug: CHEERS!

Welcome to a great hobby. +1 to what jdauria said.

Note that the sanitization really only applies to anything that touches the beer after the boil, so you don't need to sanitize your boil pot, etc. before boiling (but it should all be clean before starting).

If you are using tap water, you should remove the chlorine/chloramine beforehand to prevent off flavors. This can be done by adding a Campden tablet (one tablet will dechlorinate 20 gallons of water). The other way is to use bottled water, even distilled water is OK for extract brewing (but not for mashing grains if you do all-grain or partial mash). Some people will boil their top-off water to sanitize it and then cool it before the brew so they can add it to bring the total volume up to 5 gallons, some don't bother. Personally, I would boil it or at least use bottled or distilled water to be sure I didn't introduce any bad bacteria at top-off.

Definitely remove the pot from the heat while adding extract, then stir the extract in thorougly and return the pot to the heat. I like to keep a spray bottle of distilled water at hand for boilovers - spritzing the boiling wort will subdue the foam and prevent a boilover. Leave the lid off the pot while boiling, but you may want to put it back on while cooling if you are using an ice bath, just to avoid splashing unsanitized water into the cooling wort.

In Texas, your biggest problem in the summer is temperature control during fermentation, if you don't have a fridge or freezer to use for this purpose. Many of us use chest freezers with an external temperature controller to maintain about 65º F. Since you are just starting out and probably don't have one of these, there are some other ways - some people keep their carboy or bucket in a tub of ice water, and keep swapping out plastic bottles of ice from freezer to tub and back. If fermenting in a carboy, some put a wet t-shirt over the carboy, leaving the tail in the water in the tub so the t-shirt wicks up the water and stays wet. Blowing a fan over the t-shirt also helps to cool. Some build insulated boxes into which they put ice or plastic bottles of ice from the freezer. Also, keep the fermenting beer shielded from sunlight or florescent light (incandescent light is not as much a problem) - it should be in the dark for most of the time - this also applies to post fermentation - bottle in brown bottles, not clear or green.

If using a glass carboy, use a milk crate or BrewHauler to pick it up - read the threads on HBT about people who have been injured by broken glass carboys. If you are using a plastic bucket or Better Bottle, no worries.

BTW, John Palmer's book is available on-line for free (1st edition):

http://www.howtobrew.com/

I would also recommend buying the more up to date 3rd edition.

Thought I might show y'all what I started working on last week as my craft! I am off of work right now and have a lot of free time on my hands. :) But it's a work in progress!

image-4038535793.jpg

Let me know what y'all think!

Peace, Love & Beer
Cheers!

Welcome to your new addiction. A bock sounds like a fine place to start. I have yet to do one my self due to the temperature requirement for fermentation but I will be investing in a temp controlled fridge for the garage in the coming months so its only a matter of time.

As for DeafSmiths comment on tap water. You can check with your citys local water webpage faq to confirm but none of the north texas water suppliers add chlorine any more, the ones that do (dallas is one from my recollection) is only done between Jan-Feb to keep pipelines and storage and such sanitary. The rest of the year there is nothing crazy in there. I have had zero issues using Tap water in the past 3 months and 2-2.5 gallons always comes from sterol bottled spring water to aid in cooling of the wart so between the two I have not had issues.

Just read as much as you can prior and then have fun and wait. :)

As for DeafSmiths comment on tap water. You can check with your citys local water webpage faq to confirm but none of the north texas water suppliers add chlorine any more, the ones that do (dallas is one from my recollection) is only done between Jan-Feb to keep pipelines and storage and such sanitary. The rest of the year there is nothing crazy in there. I have had zero issues using Tap water in the past 3 months and 2-2.5 gallons always comes from sterol bottled spring water to aid in cooling of the wart so between the two I have not had issues.

Just read as much as you can prior and then have fun and wait. :)

I have a Reverse Osmosis System... Would that be something that works? I also have tap, but if I can use the system that I already have, then I will. ;) I am trying to refrain from buying bottled water... If at all possible....

.... Still drinking Beer..... Still having Fun! :ban:

RO water will work great for extract brewing. If you later get into all-grain brewing you can use the RO water with some mineral additions - see the water chemistry primer thread for that, but you won't need any additions for only extract brewing.

Will the RO water filter system work on the basic type of beer brewing? Like, I bought a Bock Beer Brew Kit... I know how I am learning on starting it, but at the end ---- to add my water, should I use my regular tap water or should I continue using RO water? And being my first brew, should I go tap water or my RO water system with my first brew? :eek:

What kind of yeast came with the kit? This is important for your fermentation temperature, being a bock and all.

Will the RO water filter system work on the basic type of beer brewing? Like, I bought a Bock Beer Brew Kit... I know how I am learning on starting it, but at the end ---- to add my water, should I use my regular tap water or should I continue using RO water? And being my first brew, should I go tap water or my RO water system with my first brew? :eek:

Lots of different opinions about top-off water. A search turned up this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/tap-water-vs-boiled-vs-bottled-306247/

and there are many others debating this subject. I only did a few (3 or 4) extract brews before I started doing all-grain. As I recall, I was super cautious and used boiled and cooled bottled spring water to top off. Probably overkill.

I don't know how the city of Dallas treats their water. I live in Richardson - we get our water from the North Texas Municipal Water District (Dallas doesn't). There is a lot chlorine in our water (3 mg/L ir even a bit more), at least some of which is present as chloramine:

http://www.ntmwd.com/downloads/WaterQualityAnalysis/wqa_wylie_2012.pdf

I use Richarson tap water to brew with (all-grain brewing), sometimes 100% tap, sometimes diluted with distilled water, depending on what I'm brewing, but I always treat it with potassium metabisulfite powder (same use as Campden tablets, except that IIRC those may be sodium metabisulfite) before using it. I would not use Richardson tap water to brew with without treating it with Campden tablets to get rid of the chlorine - maybe Dallas doesn't add so much chlorine? If you have RO water available, it would be fine as brewing water and as top-off water for extract brewing. Bottled distilled or spring water is also fine for extract brewing. The biggest question is whether or not you need to boil the top-off water, then cool it before use. I would guess that with bottled water you don't need to, but I have no idea about your RO water - I've never used an RO system.

Hoping I didn't just make you more confused. :)

I do all-grain with Richardson water. I use campden tablets (potassium metabisulfite) now, but I have several batches that I brewed before I found out I should add Campden tablets, and so far they have aged ok.

I do all-grain with Richardson water. I use campden tablets (potassium metabisulfite) now, but I have several batches that I brewed before I found out I should add Campden tablets, and so far they have aged ok.

Nothing to add to this thread. Much good advice already given.

Just wanted to say to "BetterSense" - Great Handle!

DeafSmith said:
Lots of different opinions about top-off water. A search turned up this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/tap-water-vs-boiled-vs-bottled-306247/

and there are many others debating this subject. I only did a few (3 or 4) extract brews before I started doing all-grain. As I recall, I was super cautious and used boiled and cooled bottled spring water to top off. Probably overkill.

I don't know how the city of Dallas treats their water. I live in Richardson - we get our water from the North Texas Municipal Water District (Dallas doesn't). There is a lot chlorine in our water (3 mg/L ir even a bit more), at least some of which is present as chloramine:

http://www.ntmwd.com/downloads/WaterQualityAnalysis/wqa_wylie_2012.pdf

I use Richarson tap water to brew with (all-grain brewing), sometimes 100% tap, sometimes diluted with distilled water, depending on what I'm brewing, but I always treat it with potassium metabisulfite powder (same use as Campden tablets, except that IIRC those may be sodium metabisulfite) before using it. I would not use Richardson tap water to brew with without treating it with Campden tablets to get rid of the chlorine - maybe Dallas doesn't add so much chlorine? If you have RO water available, it would be fine as brewing water and as top-off water for extract brewing. Bottled distilled or spring water is also fine for extract brewing. The biggest question is whether or not you need to boil the top-off water, then cool it before use. I would guess that with bottled water you don't need to, but I have no idea about your RO water - I've never used an RO system.

Hoping I didn't just make you more confused. :)

Nice to meet a fellow brewer locally!!
Cheers!!

How should I test my water? What is the name of the instrument called? (just wanting to learn the basics right now..) :) I do not typically drink the water from the tap... Actually, we do not use the tap water much for anything... Also.. What is the potassium metabisulfite powder (same use as Campden tablets, except that IIRC those may be sodium metabisulfite)??? OMG!! Ha! I have so much to learn!! Do you think I should use the RO water for the entire brew?

Thanks for the Help!!

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Cheers!

I'm assuming that you are just brewing with malt extract and not making your wort by mashing (soaking crushed grain in hot water for about an hour). If you are just using extract, not grains, then you don't need to test your water, or worry about the minerals in the water. You can use your RO water, or bottled or distilled water. The only things you need to worry about are not using water with a lot of chlorine or chloramine and making sure that your top-off water, if any, is sanitary. I think there are some strips you can use to test your tap water for chlorine, but probably the easiest way is just to smell the water - if it smells like it has chlorine in it, you'd be better off to treat it with a Campden tablet, or even easier, instead of tap water, use RO, or charcoal filtered water, or spring water, or distilled water, none of which will have chlorine or chloramine. You really don't need to worry much about water chemistry until you get into all-grain brewing (and even many all-grain brewers don't worry much about it).

stvcoburn said:
What kind of yeast came with the kit? This is important for your fermentation temperature, being a bock and all.

It doesn't say what kind of yeast I got in the kit... But I have been given some suggestions of a couple to buy...

I have a thermometer to test the temp of the H2O.. I work a lot with cooking and foods... I can stick with temps... I have been given a temp to use for the Bock.. I also have a friend - who I actually just talked to today - who has lived in Italy, the US, is a Chef, and has brewed several beers.. His name is Zack and he told me that his first Bock Brew... He named it Zack-n-Brock.. Cute. :)

Should I go back to my brew store to ask about yeast? I want to try the types of yeast already given toe to try.. But being working on trying to get my first brew going... :)

Thanks for any help & advice!!

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Cheers!

Hey! Hey! Hey!!
:mug:

The hubby & I brewed our first beer! Just thought I would update you guys in case you aren't subbed in on my First Brew - Bock thread. ;)

IMG_7745.jpg

It's been working its "magic" since Monday night!! ;) We are pretty excited & cannot wait until our first tasting!
Bottling will be take place in about 2 to 3 weeks. ;)
Feel free to sub in on my "First Brew - Bock" located in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum. :)

Lots of Peace. Love. & Beer. happening around here! ;)
:mug:CHEERS!:mug:

Looks fantastic, keep an eye on that air lock, every time I have had that kind of rise it blows mine off so now I just use a large glass bottle for a airlock. :)

Looks fantastic, keep an eye on that air lock, every time I have had that kind of rise it blows mine off so now I just use a large glass bottle for a airlock. :)

Thank You! Thank You!! :)

I think it's going quite well...

I do have a 3-day picture into fermentation....

Day3-Fermentation.jpg

There is not much action taking place - which I am glad because my jug didn't blow up in my fridge... :ban: But how am I looking now? I had been checking it every night and morning just to make sure that I didn't have a huge mess to clean up... :cross: Not one problem. :rockin: But my airlock is still bubbling like a champ! :rockin:

Peace. Love. & Beer
:mug: CHEERS :mug:

Hey! Hey! Hey!!

Wanted to give an update on the newbie from Dallas here!! :rockin:
We are in Day 6 of Fermentation here & the airlock has slowed to a complete stop bubble. Posting some pics! Let me hear what ya think!! :)

Day6Fermentation.jpg

Day6FermentationAirlock.jpg

Day6FermentationAirlock.jpg

Have a Sunday Funday!!
Peace. Love. & Beer.
:mug: CHEERS :mug:

Hey! Hey! Hey!
I know this is the nebie thread, but I wanted to go ahead & give my first Bock Beer Munton's Kit Update!

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA! :ban:

The hubby & I spent a couple of hours this afternoon bottling our first brew! I wanted to share a couple of pics for all you newbies out there!!

IMG_8029.jpg

IMG_8028.jpg

IMG_8032.jpg

IMG_8034-Copy.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

OUR FIRST BOTTLED BEER TOGETHER!!

IMG_8031.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

Got us about 46 beers waiting.... :) So, we wait.... :)

Have a GREAT 4th, Everyone!!

Peace. Love. & Beer!
:mug: CHEERS!! :mug:

sendkyleanemail said:
Waiting is sometimes the hard part! Time to get another batch going!

LOL!! We can wait.. In the meantime, we enjoy drinking new & different beers! So that will keep us busy in the mean time!! ;)

Gonna do an AG in a BIAB... Step it up a notch.. Looking in a Belgian Blonde... :)

Hey! Hey! Hey!
Cheers!! :)

The hubby & I just got the ingredients to our second brew today!! We are really excited! Our first brew was a Munton's Bock Brew Kit... Not going to spoil the fun & guessing intensity!! Shortly, I will post a new thread to The Beginners Forum... Look for my post & come join my journey!! Whoot! Whoot!

Peace. Love. & Beer!
Cheers! :)

Hey all! I'm in Hurst (near ft worth) and have been looking to see if any new brewers are out there near me to share ideas and recipes. I actually just posted a new thread a bit ago. Let me know if you're interested.

Hey all! I'm in Hurst (near ft worth) and have been looking to see if any new brewers are out there near me to share ideas and recipes. I actually just posted a new thread a bit ago. Let me know if you're interested.

I am in Garland - outside of Dallas.... But I just started brewing & on my second brew!!
good Luck in this New & Fun & Exciting hobby!!
We love it so far!!

on the water, Richardson isn't too terrible bad. It is treated with chloramine though. Use metabisulfate or campden tablets as suggested above or you will get a pretty heavy band-aid flavor out of it. At least...I did. I think if you go to www.cor.net they have a water report on the city website.

FYI: I read in a byo article (and did a bit of maths)... the ratio of metabisulfate:water is 0.7 grams per gallon to remove chloramine. Works like a charm for me.

Welcome to your new addiction you two.

I live very near Garland, near Jupiter road and Belt line. Such a small internet! You should let me sample your brews when they get ready

I used to live right there. I live way the hell north now. Past Frisco on 380 between Denton and Frisco.

on the water, Richardson isn't too terrible bad. It is treated with chloramine though. Use metabisulfate or campden tablets as suggested above or you will get a pretty heavy band-aid flavor out of it. At least...I did. I think if you go to www.cor.net they have a water report on the city website.

FYI: I read in a byo article (and did a bit of maths)... the ratio of metabisulfate:water is 0.7 grams per gallon to remove chloramine. Works like a charm for me.

Welcome to your new addiction you two.

I think they have already done that brew - I think it may have been a partial mash - not sure what they used for water.

0.7 grams metabisulfite per gallon is way more than needed - that is enough for 20 gallons - see this discussion:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/c...sulfite-de-chlorinate-de-chloraminate-163230/

For all grain brewing, the water reports can be obtained from the North Texas Municipal Water District web site - they supply water to Richardson, Garland, and various other cities (but not Dallas):

http://www.ntmwd.com/water_quality.html

Use the Wylie WTP.

Also, of course, check the Brewing Water Chemistry Primer thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

For what it's worth, I've made probably half a dozen all-grain brews on Richardson water where I either forgot the campden tablet or didn't know any better, and I haven't noticed any band-aid flavors yet.

yeah, my initials were extracts so that could have played into it as well. who knows. i got bored with extract brewing almost immediately and started reading .

http://byo.com/stories/wizard/artic...ing-chloramine-a-historical-hopping-mr-wizard

^ that's the article i found. i think. hell, i don't know. i had many beers last night.

Edit #2: Lol. .07 is what I meant to put previously. Bloody significant digits.

BetterSense said:
I live very near Garland, near Jupiter road and Belt line. Such a small internet! You should let me sample your brews when they get ready

Ha! We live at Miller & Garland!! Small world!! We should sample beers together, for sure!!

Back