Newbie first batch HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajl

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the process of botching my first batch of beer. I started the process about an hour ago and was doing fine until I noticed that I couldn't find the ale yeast packet in my ingredient kit. I've looked everywhere and I can't imagine a supplier open this late on a Sunday night.
At this point, I've continued adding ingredients according to directions and the wort seems to be coming along nicely.
Am I wasting my time at this point? If I finish making the wort tonight, can the yeast be added tomorrow when I can pick some up?
I read that sometimes if fermentation doesn't happen in the first 24hrs another batch of yeast can be added. If that's the case I might be alright?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron

Don't quote me on this, but I think you'd be fine to throw your wort in the fridge and then take it out and let it warm back up to temperature before pitching. Sure, it would probably be alright to cover it and just let it sit out, but then you would want to make a starter to help your yeast beat out anything that tried to take hold overnight and that would just add more time. Usually when they tell you to add another pack that was just to help boost your other yeast along, not to completely start the process.

Welcome to the forum.
You have nearly got a great name. :)
Stop worrying. Put the wort in the fermenter under an airlock, and add the yeast tomorrow. It should be fine.

-a.

I'll defer to ajf's 2300+ posts and very likely more brews than myself but--

It 'should' be fine, but just to forewarn (though, again, it 'should' be fine) at the very least you will likely want to re-aerate the wort before tossing the yeast and do a starter if you CAN, but it takes time to do a starter, so...

If I had a delay like that, I would aerate the crap out of the wort and get the yeast in there as soon as possible. Sounds like you're looking for a dry yeast so follow the directions for the yeast. There are different opinions on whether to dry-pitch or rehydrate it.

Very very likely (99.9%): you will make beer in the end. So for that reason "don't worry."

But, yes, the wort is, at that stage, waiting for things to begin to change it; either good, beneficial yeast or bad, unwanted bacteria.

There's always a risk of 'something' happening at various stages, but that's life in brewing. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out for ya!

-Jfriah

Thanks for the help!!
I picked up some yeast today and should be on track now.
Bring on the bubbles!
Thanks again...

Welcome to the forum.
You have nearly got a great name. :)
Stop worrying. Put the wort in the fermenter under an airlock, and add the yeast tomorrow. It should be fine.

-a.

you saying that made me look at your name and his name

you have the same initials as my younger brother

:mug:

carry on

Back