Newb in Frederick, MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archi77

Reaction score
Greetings. I’ve had an account for about 6 years but had a really bad experience with a “brew on premise” session back then and was new enough to not realize that wasn’t the unwelcoming norm.

A month ago, I mentioned my experience to someone local who had wandered into my cigar shop wearing that shop‘s logo and he urged me to try again, recommending a local mentor for my second “BOP” session. Night and day difference. That batch is getting bottled in a few days but all the numbers were spot on to the recipe and it tasted great prior to fermentation. I have high hopes.

in the next few weeks, I’ll have everything I need to continue AG brewing at home, and am already collecting recipes I want to try. Can’t wait! If only there were a HB shop closer to my house in Chambersburg, PA. For now, I claim Frederick, MD...

Welcome to the community and obsession!

I am sorry to hear about your first experience not being stellar! Glad you went for a second time and are continuing on this fascinating journey of brewing!

:mug:

Welcome to the community and obsession!

I am sorry to hear about your first experience not being stellar! Glad you went for a second time and are continuing on this fascinating journey of brewing!

:mug:
Thanks! At the time, I was unaware that the majority of brew on premise sessions this particular shop does are more of a “bachelor party who wants to say they brewed beer but really just wants to drink while it’s cooking” mentality. I learned nothing the first time.

This second session was MUCH better! I walked out feeling like I took a condensed college course in a single day! :ghostly: but it hooked me.

Thanks! At the time, I was unaware that the majority of brew on premise sessions this particular shop does are more of a “bachelor party who wants to say they brewed beer but really just wants to drink while it’s cooking” mentality. I learned nothing the first time.

This second session was MUCH better! I walked out feeling like I took a condensed college course in a single day! :ghostly: but it hooked me.

My first experience was in college, walked in on the older frat brothers brewing extract beer in the middle of the night...needless to say it sparked my interest...once out of college and into the real world I read and watched everything i could until I could afford to buy my equipment.

My first experience was in college, walked in on the older frat brothers brewing extract beer in the middle of the night...needless to say it sparked my interest...once out of college and into the real world I read and watched everything i could until I could afford to buy my equipment.
My fraternity had a still in someone’s basement, but nobody brewed beer that I’m aware of. They had it down to a set recipe for a great tasting bottle, but man was it harsh!

Greetings. I’ve had an account for about 6 years but had a really bad experience with a “brew on premise” session back then and was new enough to not realize that wasn’t the unwelcoming norm.

A month ago, I mentioned my experience to someone local who had wandered into my cigar shop wearing that shop‘s logo and he urged me to try again, recommending a local mentor for my second “BOP” session. Night and day difference. That batch is getting bottled in a few days but all the numbers were spot on to the recipe and it tasted great prior to fermentation. I have high hopes.

in the next few weeks, I’ll have everything I need to continue AG brewing at home, and am already collecting recipes I want to try. Can’t wait! If only there were a HB shop closer to my house in Chambersburg, PA. For now, I claim Frederick, MD...
Isn't Homebrew4Less still alive and well in Chambersburg? Barring that, there's a LHBS in Hagerstown (actually, Funkstown). Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with BoP (Flying Barrel?). I've always depended on them as my goto for "gotta have" supplies, but never did any "brew on premises".

Hello from one newb to another! I've been to Flying Barrel to buy some supplies when my local homebrew store was closed. The giant dog that was there was surprising but friendly. I've never tried a brew on premises but I can easily imagine how it might end up being a bit of party with the right participants. Glad you got a class more to your liking!

Hello from one newb to another! I've been to Flying Barrel to buy some supplies when my local homebrew store was closed. The giant dog that was there was surprising but friendly. I've never tried a brew on premises but I can easily imagine how it might end up being a bit of party with the right participants. Glad you got a class more to your liking!

Yeah, James' dog is pretty intimidating but he's really just a 150# puppy. I've had all manor of large breed dogs and that old boy is the friendliest, most laid back animal I've ever seen. I remember when James first got him. Man was that pup rambunctious, tripping over his oversized paws. Now he just lies there, acknowledging your arrival with a gentle wag of his monstrous tail. 🐕

Isn't Homebrew4Less still alive and well in Chambersburg? Barring that, there's a LHBS in Hagerstown (actually, Funkstown). Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with BoP (Flying Barrel?). I've always depended on them as my goto for "gotta have" supplies, but never did any "brew on premises".
Homebrew4less googled as closed permanently. And google didn’t return anything in Funkstown. I work in Frederick, so Flying Barrel is mostly easy. Thankfully, my second BonP was MUCH better!

Homebrew4less googled as closed permanently. And google didn’t return anything in Funkstown. I work in Frederick, so Flying Barrel is mostly easy. Thankfully, my second BonP was MUCH better!
I hadn't been to Chambersburg for at least a couple of years, so it's kind of a bummer to hear HB4Less has shuttered the business. It looks like the place in Funkstown has focused on wine, and pretty much gotten out of the beer side of homebrewing. I hadn't been there in a few years either, but now remember I had visited there specifically for winemaking supplies.

It's been a tough few years for small specialty retailers who depend on foot traffic sales to keep the doors open. The Barrel doesn't do any online sales (to the best of my knowledge) but the store is usually well-stocked with hops and yeast, as well as a very good selection of odds and ends. I'm sure they get a fair amount of foot traffic being co-located with Monocacy Brewing and tasting room. I don't think there's any formal business relationship between the two, but all the principals know each other and there's a symbiotic crossover for sure.

Shameless plug: I got the opportunity to brew with the folks at Monocacy a couple of weeks ago. They brew a terrific Kolsch, and if you're at the brewery tasting room or Brewer's Alley downtown after September 14th, ask for the Cluster Fugget Pre-Prohibition lager. That's my beer that got brewed in collaboration with them.

Welcome. If ever in the northern VA area, please consider yourself invited for brews or brewing.
Where abouts? I get down to Leesburg about every other month, but if I know when/where, I could certainly plan a trip. I’d love to act as brewery assistant for a session or two more, so I can pick up hints and methods from others. 😉

Back