New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Manuka saison has lasted a year because its 8%. Might dial it back to six next time.

Anyhooo, anyone used pohutakawa flowers in beer?

My Manuka saison has lasted a year because its 8%. Might dial it back to six next time.

Anyhooo, anyone used pohutakawa flowers in beer?

Some commercial brewery uses pohutakawa honey.

Donks ago I was thinking a Mexican Cerveza with pohutakawa honey. I was hoping the saltiness from the sea air from the pohutakawa trees/flowers would come through. Never brewed that though.....

Wow I wish I could crank my kits up a bit... At 10% is it quite a heavy beer ??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My first take on this beer ended up being 11%. Only one bottle survives from that batch, to be drunk on Beervana weekend, be a week or so over a year old by then....:mug:

Nah, its quite thin because of the style of beer. It's dropped to 1.005 so .005 points of being as thin as water. Its a massive beer. Brewed specifically for an international home brew competition...http://www.sjporrchallenge.com/

Keen to share the recipe if anyone wants it. I wouldn't think it would be to hard with kits, you'd just need a few of them to boost the sugar up ;)

My first take on this beer ended up being 11%. Only one bottle survives from that batch, to be drunk on Beervana weekend, be a week or so over a year old by then....:mug:

Nah, its quite thin because of the style of beer. It's dropped to 1.005 so .005 points of being as thin as water. Its a massive beer. Brewed specifically for an international home brew competition...http://www.sjporrchallenge.com/

Keen to share the recipe if anyone wants it. I wouldn't think it would be to hard with kits, you'd just need a few of them to boost the sugar up ;)

Might just get better on the basics then make the move to partial, from what I have read it doesn't look to tough !!

Might just get better on the basics then make the move to partial, from what I have read it doesn't look to tough !!

I'm more than happy to share a brew day with you if you're keen to come along to see what it's all about.

Damn I'm keen to see the recipe, I've never got that low with any of my 10%+ brews (and it's not like I don't do enough of them)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Damn I'm keen to see the recipe, I've never got that low with any of my 10%+ brews (and it's not like I don't do enough of them)

23L batch
6kg pilsner malt

28g Motueka (6.8% AA) in the mash
45g Motueka (6.8% AA) @ 60mins
30g Liberty (4.9% AA) @ 35mins
30g Styrian Goldings (3.7% AA) @ 15mins
1kg amber belgian candi @ 15mins
1kg brown sugar @ 15mins

90min mash
75min boil

Fermented with Wyeast 3789 Trappist Blend in version 1 @ 25 degrees to get 11% and this batch is fermented with WLP645 - Brettanomyces claussenii @ 28 degrees to get 10%

Hi all, but of advice, brew in the go is mangrove jacks Checz pills, pills beer enhancer and used saflager s23 yeast, latest reading 1014, been in primary since 02/07... Currently 12 degrees... How long approx until fermentation is done with this yeast ? 1014 seems high but all my kits have had a high final reading to date... Taste seems ok.. Still minor airlock activity... Also any benefit to adding some finishing hops with this brew ? If so what ?? Cheers

Hi all, but of advice, brew in the go is mangrove jacks Checz pills, pills beer enhancer and used saflager s23 yeast, latest reading 1014, been in primary since 02/07... Currently 12 degrees... How long approx until fermentation is done with this yeast ? 1014 seems high but all my kits have had a high final reading to date... Taste seems ok.. Still minor airlock activity... Also any benefit to adding some finishing hops with this brew ? If so what ?? Cheers

If you're still seeing airlock activity, chances are its still fermenting. I'd leave it. I did a double pilsner batch and was in primary for 4 weeks, that was including a diacetyl rest and lagering.

Keep checking the gravity, maybe every 3rd or 4th day. If there isnt any movement from 1.014 then its finished.

As for finishing hops, thats all on you and your tastes. I like a hoppy lager/pils so I would. If you're looking at buying some, don't, I'll hook you up some Motueka if you like, Saaz heritage, so would work in a Checz Pils OR something else I have in the freezer that takes your fancy :)

If you're still seeing airlock activity, chances are its still fermenting. I'd leave it. I did a double pilsner batch and was in primary for 4 weeks, that was including a diacetyl rest and lagering.

Keep checking the gravity, maybe every 3rd or 4th day. If there isnt any movement from 1.014 then its finished.

As for finishing hops, thats all on you and your tastes. I like a hoppy lager/pils so I would. If you're looking at buying some, don't, I'll hook you up some Motueka if you like, Saaz heritage, so would work in a Checz Pils OR something else I have in the freezer that takes your fancy :)

Definitely like a hoppy pills, don't mind the Sam Adams Nobel or the new mac hop rocker, polls... Sweet will leave it to keep doing its thing !!

Much like lunchie said if it's bubbling it's still fermenting. Lager yeasts tend to take longer to ferment out due to the lower temperature. A diacetyl rest is also helpful. To ensure it's completed fermentation and for....well diacetyl.
Lagering for awhile will also be useful.

Ok really showing my lack of knowledge, can you explain what those two processes are :) Appreciate ur guys assistance big time btw !!

Ok really showing my lack of knowledge, can you explain what those two processes are :) Appreciate ur guys assistance big time btw !!

That's why we're here, sharing all the knowledge.

You'll want to do a diacetyl rest, especially for lagers/pilsners to remove the butter flavour from your beer. Ferment at lower temps, but raise for at least a day to remove it. Have a read of https://byo.com/stories/item/303-brewing-science-controlling-diacetyl for more info.

Lagering is basically dropping the temperature post diacetyl rest and leaving it there, till the beer 'pops'. You'll see the difference really quickly if you use a glass carboy. Its basically cold crashing, for a lont period of time. More info here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-5.html

For comparisons sake....
The pilsners I have brewed, were fermented at 14 degrees, diacetyl rest is done on about the 4th day (18 degreees for 1 - 2 days), depending on the fermentation and gravity readings, then I lager at 4 degrees for 3 weeks. Bottle or keg after that and the beer is about as clear and crisp as any commercial lager.

Cool thanks for that... So if I was to do this now it's going to still help the beer ? Being that I'm 2 weeks into it.. Cheers

Ignore that question, will I get sufficient results in primary from doing this ? I don't have a secondary ! Just have the basic kit.. If nee be I will need to buy one... Cheers

Ignore that question, will I get sufficient results in primary from doing this ? I don't have a secondary ! Just have the basic kit.. If nee be I will need to buy one... Cheers

I don't secondary. At all.
So yep, you'd still get the same result :D

Ok cool, thanks guys !! After the 3 weeks I will get it bottled, then do I just leave it at room temp to carb for a couple of weeks ?

Ok cool, thanks guys !! After the 3 weeks I will get it bottled, then do I just leave it at room temp to carb for a couple of weeks ?

Yup, just like you have with your past beers. It might take a little longer to carb up, but yep.

Yup, just like you have with your past beers. It might take a little longer to carb up, but yep.

Great thanks for that, I'm going to need to get some more gear so I can get another batch underway !!

Picked up a little something to brew an IIPA with. Will be my first use if cone hops and I'm using 500g of them for 19L batch. It will also be the first beer I try some special Agave syrup in which I got from a friend who works at a tequila distillery, and I might throw some Casa Noble Reposado tequila in half the batch

1405579450530.jpg

Picked up a little something to brew an IIPA with. Will be my first use if cone hops and I'm using 500g of them for 19L batch. It will also be the first beer I try some special Agave syrup in which I got from a friend who works at a tequila distillery, and I might throw some Casa Noble Reposado tequila in half the batch

Yummy!

Got the green light to spend some $$

I was going to jump in and try to help you out....I'm late to the party! Haha. Looks like the crew has set you right! I'm new to but geeking out hard and fast!

Props getting straight into largers, i don't have the patience for that!

I agree that the next step is temp control. It has changed my beer so much! And depending on how much you want to get into this hobby.......I would check out the brewing network, especially brew strong and the Sunday session! ( not so family friendly all the time).

Give a shout outs if you have any questions for a geek that is new to it still! Haha.

Sp edit

Is it wrong to say I want to put my head inside your bag and breath deep?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405672620.219014.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1405672636.184512.jpg

When fan art and beer labels become one! Muuuuhhhhhhhahahaha.

The little lion is a hobgoblin clone, and the APA is based ( loosely) on Eddworts haus pale. Turning out to be me two best beers to date i believe!

View attachment 211833View attachment 211834

When fan art and beer labels become one! Muuuuhhhhhhhahahaha.

The little lion is a hobgoblin clone, and the APA is based ( loosely) on Eddworts haus pale. Turning out to be me two best beers to date i believe!

Awesome, did you do these ?? I have started to design some labels, not even close to these tho !!!! Jealous much !!

I was going to jump in and try to help you out....I'm late to the party! Haha. Looks like the crew has set you right! I'm new to but geeking out hard and fast!

Props getting straight into largers, i don't have the patience for that!

I agree that the next step is temp control. It has changed my beer so much! And depending on how much you want to get into this hobby.......I would check out the brewing network, especially brew strong and the Sunday session! ( not so family friendly all the time).

Give a shout outs if you have any questions for a geek that is new to it still! Haha.

Sp edit

Cheers for that, agree temp control is a must sort out !! Esp before the summer months ! My favourite drop is a hoppy pills so after a few ale kits I thought it was best to get on the horse so to speak... Props to help so far from others..

Awesome, did you do these ?? I have started to design some labels, not even close to these tho !!!! Jealous much !!

Lol yeah, I enjoy geeking out with stuff like that. The last ones i did were for the stanly cup finals. Milk and normal photo copy paper work wonders bro!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405683796.636984.jpg

Latest posts

Back