New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for the more experienced brewers... Receipt says 30mg cascade at 0 mins... Then 46mg dry hop... At the 0 min will the heat dissolve the 30mg ? First time moving il from extract, going to biab this.... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408523096.905431.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

chck it in when you turn the flame off, and let it sit for 10-15min. then chill. assuming you have a Wort chiller of course.

Now that I don't have, was trying to think of a way to chill quickly.... Have a big old cast iron bath which is looking like an option... If I can swing it past the missus !! Otherwise stumped at present :)

I dont have one either. Its just a bit of kiwi #8 wire thinking.

I only do small batches, but my current setup is freeze a bunch of coke bottles of water, then sit them in a plastic tub (black thing from the warehouse) for 30mins to get cold as hell water. Stick the brewing kettle in this and leave the bottles in as much as you can. Stir occasionally. I keep the lid on which holds in the heat, but i do this outside, so its just a precaution against wild microbes.

You can also freeze a bottle, and sterilize the outside of it, then dump it into the wort.

Rapid chilling is a way of dropping denatured protein mess out of solution and into the trub, but it is not the be all end all. The aussie guys love their no-chill option, which is basically stick hot wort straight into their ferment bucket and just leave it overnight.

I dont have one either. Its just a bit of kiwi #8 wire thinking.

I only do small batches, but my current setup is freeze a bunch of coke bottles of water, then sit them in a plastic tub (black thing from the warehouse) for 30mins to get cold as hell water. Stick the brewing kettle in this and leave the bottles in as much as you can. Stir occasionally. I keep the lid on which holds in the heat, but i do this outside, so its just a precaution against wild microbes.

You can also freeze a bottle, and sterilize the outside of it, then dump it into the wort.

Rapid chilling is a way of dropping denatured protein mess out of solution and into the trub, but it is not the be all end all. The aussie guys love their no-chill option, which is basically stick hot wort straight into their ferment bucket and just leave it overnight.

Thanks for the ideas never would have thought of the bottle in the wort !!

I built a chiller but only used half the tubing, anyone interested let me know.

They do save a bunch of time at the end of the day.

Work out much cheaper building your own ? How would I bend it ?? / weld parts on ?

Ahhh beer weekend.

Have been and come back from beervana this friday. Forgot my phone so was flying blind.

Train to Wellington is great, shame more people dont use it. Starting drinking at 11am (theoretically) makes for a early night - but five am wakeup also doesnt help. Most of the beers from Beervana were 7-8percent and above... but fun was had. Cut out early, for some food, some Fork and Brewer and Hashigo Zake. Some D4, LBQ and more Fork the Saturday befre I got my bus home. I shoulda hit the Malthouse as well but ran out of time.

Now... Beervana. What a cockup. Get into the venue, attempt to find somebody with their RFID bands for buying beer, then enter a line for 40minutes to get some money on it. What a stupid setup. You charge enough, charge a little more and preload the damn band with some money so you get a little leeway before people charge the understaffed stands for more cash. The brewers looked annoyed, as people were standing in line for so long they couldnt even sell the beer they paid a fortune to bring. The guy who sold me my last beer said they were leaving it open for some time longer to make up for the garbage, but man... its not that hard to plan ahead, as its pretty reasonable that a couple of thousand people may want money on their bands when they arrive at a beer festival. You know, to buy beer.
Another item...

pricing.

I disliked the pricing last year. 2$ 4$ or 6$ for a taster of low, med or high OH beers... 6$ or 8$ for a 250 pour of low or med.

This year... 2.5$, 3.5 or 6$ for the same.
Why the odd split? cheaper for the mediums, but dearer for the lows? the hell? Glad i spent all my money on mediums... because thats better value. Plastic 'glass' more food than ever taking up space they couldnt fill with breweries.

Missing aussie brews

Stupid RFID readers turning off each time they were put down.

Putting the habour zone map on another page... When I arrived I had a tuatara tiramisu stout - big pour to relax me after standing in line for too long... one of the Tuatara girls asked to look at the map so she could find the media stand. Even she did not know there was another page to the map.. she wandered the absolute opposite direction because of it. Beervana staff should realise they are dealing with people drinking... its hard enough to get what beer you are drinking in their book.
Their app was ok, but as i forgot my phone ... :( never mind the potential spamming from the power company, it should have linked to something like untappd rather than being an independent item. I drank a Townshend Golden Ale from handpump at the Cassels site. ITs not in the app. But then I drank a cali common from ninebarnyardowls that is in the app, but cannot for the life of me find in their booklet.

Enjoyed the Portland end - that Pipewrench from Gigantic Brewing was great.

Really enjoyed Kererus For Even Greater Justice. I could do with a growler of that.

Ahhh beer weekend.

Have been and come back from beervana this friday. Forgot my phone so was flying blind.

Train to Wellington is great, shame more people dont use it. Starting drinking at 11am (theoretically) makes for a early night - but five am wakeup also doesnt help. Most of the beers from Beervana were 7-8percent and above... but fun was had. Cut out early, for some food, some Fork and Brewer and Hashigo Zake. Some D4, LBQ and more Fork the Saturday befre I got my bus home. I shoulda hit the Malthouse as well but ran out of time.

Now... Beervana. What a cockup. Get into the venue, attempt to find somebody with their RFID bands for buying beer, then enter a line for 40minutes to get some money on it. What a stupid setup. You charge enough, charge a little more and preload the damn band with some money so you get a little leeway before people charge the understaffed stands for more cash. The brewers looked annoyed, as people were standing in line for so long they couldnt even sell the beer they paid a fortune to bring. The guy who sold me my last beer said they were leaving it open for some time longer to make up for the garbage, but man... its not that hard to plan ahead, as its pretty reasonable that a couple of thousand people may want money on their bands when they arrive at a beer festival. You know, to buy beer.
Another item...

pricing.

I disliked the pricing last year. 2$ 4$ or 6$ for a taster of low, med or high OH beers... 6$ or 8$ for a 250 pour of low or med.

This year... 2.5$, 3.5 or 6$ for the same.
Why the odd split? cheaper for the mediums, but dearer for the lows? the hell? Glad i spent all my money on mediums... because thats better value. Plastic 'glass' more food than ever taking up space they couldnt fill with breweries.

Missing aussie brews

Stupid RFID readers turning off each time they were put down.

Putting the habour zone map on another page... When I arrived I had a tuatara tiramisu stout - big pour to relax me after standing in line for too long... one of the Tuatara girls asked to look at the map so she could find the media stand. Even she did not know there was another page to the map.. she wandered the absolute opposite direction because of it. Beervana staff should realise they are dealing with people drinking... its hard enough to get what beer you are drinking in their book.
Their app was ok, but as i forgot my phone ... :( never mind the potential spamming from the power company, it should have linked to something like untappd rather than being an independent item. I drank a Townshend Golden Ale from handpump at the Cassels site. ITs not in the app. But then I drank a cali common from ninebarnyardowls that is in the app, but cannot for the life of me find in their booklet.

Enjoyed the Portland end - that Pipewrench from Gigantic Brewing was great.

Really enjoyed Kererus For Even Greater Justice. I could do with a growler of that.

Opposite to my experience. 4th year going.

RFIDs were going when we got there, although I did hear the grumblings & best of all we got an extra hour!!

Managed to meet pro brewers and some of the Hutt Brewer clan on FB. Ran into some other PN brewers who are keen as to get a club going. Saturday was a brewers breakfast at The Bruhaus - awesome event, strange how well mandarin works in a sour bee and at 9am in the morning!

Portland was a disappointment. The beers we waned to try weren't there. The Gin barrel aged IPA was good though.

Beer of the session for me was Epic Lupulingus - seemed to be right on with my Triple Sea IIPA. Might brew that and send it to Luke.
8 Wired Feijoa Sour and the Kiwi Sour from Good George were good. Wild and Wooly I think it was called from the Beervana Bar was awesome, palate cleanser then mind ****! A sour brewed with wild yeast from what I was told.
The girls liked the Mattacino from Mata at the Pink Boots stand.
Media Brew = Liberty's J.A.F.A.

Good event, made ven better by meeting so many new people.

Manawatu Beerfest the weekned post Beervana maybe?? ;)

We only got told about the extra hour by one of the servers at the portland bar. We had 1$ left on our chips, so just cut out and went to other bars before the 'rush'. It was better than last year, but standing in that line for 40 minutes annoyed the hell outta me. Never mind there was 100+ people behind me, and then get near the front and be told that its cash only...

Even though I have a lot of concern around the event - mainly around how much money is involved and how most of the brewers (bar Lion) get none - I would rather a smaller event where the brewers get more back than just exposure - as most are well known enough to not need it. But, they responded to all the commetns in person, the twitter feedback and the facebook feedback that occured around 11.30 - 12.00 on Friday, and gave that extra hour at the end.

Portland I had
Too much coffee
Pipewrench
Rasberry Russian Imperial Stout
and upheavel IPA

We only got told about the extra hour by one of the servers at the portland bar. We had 1$ left on our chips, so just cut out and went to other bars before the 'rush'. It was better than last year, but standing in that line for 40 minutes annoyed the hell outta me. Never mind there was 100+ people behind me, and then get near the front and be told that its cash only...

Even though I have a lot of concern around the event - mainly around how much money is involved and how most of the brewers (bar Lion) get none - I would rather a smaller event where the brewers get more back than just exposure - as most are well known enough to not need it. But, they responded to all the commetns in person, the twitter feedback and the facebook feedback that occured around 11.30 - 12.00 on Friday, and gave that extra hour at the end.

Portland I had
Too much coffee
Pipewrench
Rasberry Russian Imperial Stout
and upheavel IPA

I didn't go
But sounds like it'd be annoying.
Next year maybe for me. I'll have just gotten back from America though.

First biab, was a nightmare, no sleep due to new arrival !! Shouldn't have even gone there !! :) pretty sure beer is going to be avg, but hey it's still beer... ........... Notes as attached.......

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408965068.503340.jpg

First biab, was a nightmare, no sleep due to new arrival !! Shouldn't have even gone there !! :) pretty sure beer is going to be avg, but hey it's still beer... ........... Notes as attached.......

View attachment 219906

Love the attention to detail on the note taking there! Especially the last line hahaha.

Sounds almost identical to my first BIAB session!.....except it was also my first ever AG as well. So I was not only freaking out........I was clueless hahahaha! Going to call FIPA? Hehe

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Congrats on the new arrival. :ban:

You beer will be sweet...

And by sweet, I mean sweet, lots on unfermentables at 75C.

Get a gravity reading as soon as you can.

Yeah exactly what happened to myn, mashed at 75. Hit the og....but finished At 1025. The finished beer is tasty....until you swallow. ....then nasty! Pretty much tastes like wort.....sweet sweet un fermented wort!

Congrats on the new arrival. :ban:

You beer will be sweet...

And by sweet, I mean sweet, lots on unfermentables at 75C.

Get a gravity reading as soon as you can.[/

Will do ! Will get in morning.. Lesson learnt ! Fingers crossed it's not to bad lol

Yeah exactly what happened to myn, mashed at 75. Hit the og....but finished At 1025. The finished beer is tasty....until you swallow. ....then nasty! Pretty much tastes like wort.....sweet sweet un fermented wort!

Hmmm that's not giving me any hope for it lol

Hmmm that's not giving me any hope for it lol

Sorry bro! Haha didnt mean it like that.

I also made the mistake of thinking. . . Well I have started at 75. . . . .i no know I shouldn't have. . . But what the hell I will stay here hahaha. At least you cooled it down man!

Congratulations on the new arrival mate :rockin:

It'll be beer once its fermented, I wouldn't worry to much about it, just might be on the sweet side ;)

new arrival!

No sleep for you...

Otherwise, you have a beer

the hops will help a bit but still likely sweetish.

Congratulations on the new arrival mate :rockin:

It'll be beer once its fermented, I wouldn't worry to much about it, just might be on the sweet side ;)

Cheers mate, another boy !! That's no 5 boy so off for the chop !!! Unless it's really bad I will drink it, god knows I will need it haha !

Ps had a sample of the mangrove jacks town crier, pleasantly surprised another week and be good to drink :)

I find brewing a great way to escape !! Ha :) no 5 was a surprise that's for sure..

We have our first on the way now. I'm not sure weather im going to be brewing lots more.....or lots less!

We have our first on the way now. I'm not sure weather im going to be brewing lots more.....or lots less!

Congrats !! You might spend more time thinking about brewing on those sleepless nights ! (Like I am now) :)

Will do,

Hit the VIK for taco Tuesday tonight, they seemed keen to get on board if it falls through else where. They have a BYO license by the look of it.

Heh. Taco Tuesday....

Anyone have a nice easy to follow chocolate/coffee stout recipe ? Seen one on craft beer.co.nZ which is a clone, but was quite pricey IMO...

No 8 wired i stout -- $74.95.... Makes 23 litres..

Anyone have a nice easy to follow chocolate/coffee stout recipe ? Seen one on craft beer.co.nZ which is a clone, but was quite pricey IMO...

iStout is an awesome beer!

I'm planning a big RIS with chocolate and chilli. Just need to do a couple of test batches first!

iStout is an awesome beer!

I'm planning a big RIS with chocolate and chilli. Just need to do a couple of test batches first!

Is $75 reasonable ! I will pay that much if it is, free shipping at that price... Also Just Sussed Father's Day present (wort chiller and weld less therm) that should help next brew !!

Look at the Hop Zombie price... iStout looks like a bargain after that. :D

Congrats !! You might spend more time thinking about brewing on those sleepless nights ! (Like I am now) :)

Haha, yeah the planning and thinking is safe....the execution is the part I'm not sure about!

Back