New York City 2014 NHC First Round

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berley31

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone happen to know if they normally post the results online for this? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've been trying to find out and have kind of been knocked around from website to website. The comp was over the weekend and ended Saturday, I believe.

Thanks!

The AHA will release the results as whole after all the first round competitions have been completed. Last year it was about two weeks after the last 1st round competition was completed. I believe the delay is to allow the AHA to manually enter and verify everyone's scores. I'd much rather they just post the top three per category and get around to distributing individual scores after, but what do I know.

You may receive your own scoresheets in the mail earlier, and they will have your scores, and should have any placing you received as well. But, yeah, actual results will not be posted for a month probably.

It's also worth mentioning that the KC site only had about 570 entries instead of the 750-ish projected. Saw that one of the AHA forums this afternoon.

Hey guys,

Anyone happen to know if they normally post the results online for this? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've been trying to find out and have kind of been knocked around from website to website. The comp was over the weekend and ended Saturday, I believe.

Thanks!

Sort of OT. What did you enter? I was there judging on Saturday and may have judged one or two of your beers.

I've been following the club that handled the Nashville competition last weekend. I had thought all judging had been completed this past weekend, but their club page is talking about finishing up categories at a club meeting this weekend. I'm not really too thrilled that $14 entries are being driven around from location to location and judged a week later than other entries. Deep down, I know it probably doesn't matter, but I also know that club meetings are really not the best place to try to judge beers.

I've been following the club that handled the Nashville competition last weekend. I had thought all judging had been completed this past weekend, but their club page is talking about finishing up categories at a club meeting this weekend. I'm not really too thrilled that $14 entries are being driven around from location to location and judged a week later than other entries. Deep down, I know it probably doesn't matter, but I also know that club meetings are really not the best place to try to judge beers.

San Diego is judging this weekend. At a church, I believe. :p

San Diego is judging this weekend. At a church, I believe. :p

That's actually kind of cool. I think it's different to judge at a competition setting where that's the intended purpose. Judging at a homebrew club meeting where it's loud, beers are being poured and tasted, and discussions/presentations are being made is more difficult. That's just my opinion which is probably not valued. Hopefully it's just the meads and ciders that are getting this treatment! :mug:

Judging locations unfortunately aren't always ideal, especially larger comps with so many bottles to handle. Sometimes they are in breweries with smells from active fermentations. I've been in outside tents at festivals with smells from grass/trees/cars/fry bread stand/etc. and lots of noise.

Denver NHC is in a basement that is fairly dank/musty/dusty. San Diego NHC at St. Dunstans is one of the better venues I've been at (spacious, bright and no smells).

Judges just have to do the best with whatever conditions are thrown at us. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Still waiting on NY NHC score, but the California Common I entered scored a 37.5 at Ocean State Homebrew Competition in RI this week for 2nd place in Amber Hybrid, so fingers crossed! Was surprised because I bottle carbonated and bottles I have opened have had a carbonation issue, very low carbonation. So be interesting to what the NHC judges thought!

Still waiting on NY NHC score, but the California Common I entered scored a 37.5 at Ocean State Homebrew Competition in RI this week for 2nd place in Amber Hybrid, so fingers crossed! Was surprised because I bottle fermented and bottles I have opened have had a carbonation issue, very low carbonation. So be interesting to what the NHC judges thought!

Nice score...good luck in the NHC. I was going to send entries to this comp, but life, snowstorms, etc. got in the way.

I sent entries to the NY last year and didn't get my sheets back until 2 weeks after the AHA announced all the results. It was one of the few regions that held their sheets. Hopefully this year is different since the AHA has given it's blessing to send results after the comp is complete and uploaded to them.

I'm hoping to see my scoresheets from Philly this week.

Back