New wort chiller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
For the past two years i've been using this to chill down my 5g AG batches:

2000454018_large.jpg

20ft of 3/8" tubing coiled into the rib cage pattern. It worked fine, but took quite awhile to chill down the batches. I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to 50ft of 1/2" tubing. Since i have a wide brewpot, i had to do a "dual" chiller design so everything would be submerged in the wort. It took a little (OK a lot) of tweaking to get everything coiled correctly, but i'm really pleased with the final product. Coils are bound together with 4 separate lengths of intertwined solid copper wire. SS worm clamp at the top to hold the in and out sections together. It is very rigid. Also decided to go with the garden hose fittings and soldered those on the other night. Can't wait to test it out!

OK, on with the pictures.

2000454014_large.jpg

2000454015_large.jpg

2000454016_large.jpg

2000454017_large.jpg

I'd say thats definitely an upgrade, nice work.

Thanks. Did a test with 5g of boiling water. Took it down to <100 in a fraction of the time my previous chiller took. Can't wait try it out hooked up to my sump pump sitting in an ice bath.

Back