New v. Conventional Hopping Methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOriginalDBS

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've made 10 extract brews so far with generally good results. Most of the time, I find a recipe online (i.e. from the AHA) or from a book (Clonebrews or How to Brew) and tweak it according to my taste and desired flavor profile.

I've noticed that recipes from older sources usually have the conventional 3-step hopping process: bittering at 60 or 90 mins, flavor anywhere between 20-30 mins, and aroma any time from 15 to flameout/dry hop.

Newer recipes look more like: 1 oz 60 mins, 1 oz flameout.

My question is: Why the general change in hopping schemes over the years?

NOTE: I hopburst all my IPAs with just a touch at the beginning of the boil and then massive amounts from 15 mins to flameout and have had excellent, consistent results.

I'm not sure I've noticed the same thing. Most (if not all) of the recipes I see and use are like the "old recipes" you describe...

I'm not sure I've noticed the same thing. Most (if not all) of the recipes I see and use are like the "old recipes" you describe...

I agree. I have seen some beers without flavor additions, but it was style-specific. What styles didn't have a flavor addition?

OP your a re noticing a new trend in hopping. Just a different method to get bigger hop flavor with less bitter. Both methods work but I have found that even my golden ale tastes improved with a mash/ or FWH , hop bursting/ hopstand schedule. Compared to "traditional" bitter, flavor, aroma hopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back