New. Trying to find a german helle recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DatBrew

Reaction score
I know it primarily uses a pils malt, but im looking for something like Haufbrau Original. Anyone brew anything close to their beer?

Also new to the forum, just got a brew set with 2 glass carboys, pretty excited!

Already bought a bavarian hefe kit, so ill be doing that first.

Any tips?

Around 10% carapils with the remainder being all Pilsner malt makes for a nice, soft honey like spicyness. Defiantly noble hops. Tett is excellent for this one. The Californian lager yeast is pretty easy to manage, too. Although a good German lager yeast is hard to beat. Just takes a little longer to clear up. Good luck!

Around 10% carapils with the remainder being all Pilsner malt makes for a nice, soft honey like spicyness. Defiantly noble hops. Tett is excellent for this one. The Californian lager yeast is pretty easy to manage, too. Although a good German lager yeast is hard to beat. Just takes a little longer to clear up. Good luck!

Thanks! Ill try this out.

Where is a really good place to get supplies? Also is it worth it to grind your own malts?

I love crushing my own malts with my Barley Crusher grain mill. I honestly think a fresh crush works better & gives better flavor. And try German malts from Weyermann. Real German malts, to me, smell & taste like lightly toasted good bread & others, I think it was carahell, were like toasted nuts. They gave my dampfbier a way better flavor. German yeast also give better balance in my opinion. I used hallertauer mittelfruh hops for a traditional dampfbier. German hops have that great spicy/floral smoothness to them. I get the German grains & hops mostly from Midwest & Northern Brewer.

Alright just got my kit today and started brewing. I put the hops in and walked away for like 2 seconds and it boiled over. most of the hops were floating on the top and went over. One of my main probs is that I got a 5 gallon pot not thinking and I should probably have a 6 gal or 8, and I wasnt watching the pot.
So i lost most hops and threw some other hops in I had laying around. Problem is I have no idea what kind of hops they were. How bad will is probably be that I used a different hop? It was supposed to be a bavarian hefe.

Also for anyone that reads this that is new. Get a decent pot that holds more that 5 gallons. Makes things alot easier.

The hops I used just reminded me of an IPA if that helps but I doubt it. Maybe all hops smell like this? Im new to all this lol.

Edit: Also, cooling takes a long time. It may be best to buy bags of ice if you dont have a sophisticated cooling system like members on this board. Or have alot of patience! lol.

I boil no more than 3 1/2 gallons in my 5 gallon SS kettle. And I do pb/pm biab. I buy 1 large bag of ice, winding up using about 2/3's of it to get the hot wort down to about 75F. Then top off to recipe volume in the fermenter with spring water chilled in the fridge a day or two before brew day.

Back