New toys need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLBrooks

Reaction score
Hey yall

Ive decided to change from iodphor to stan san and need a little avdice about that and some other things...

I know the mix is 1 gallon to 1 oz for 5 gallons worth of foam. Since its no rise, should i use a gallon of wort to get it going or use a gallon of water then dump it then fill up.... without asking here, i was going to use the gallon of water..swish..dump...fill

Ive also switched from liquid tube yeast to a smack pack... to my understanding leve the pack out for 12-24 hrs, then about the last hour of brewing smack it to get it ready..

Also while at my LHBS getting grains for a wee heavy scotch ale, the sales rep said to make sure i dont primary for more than 2 weeks because the yeast and cake will not only eat the sugars but they will also consume other flavors i want to keep... now everything ive read here has conviced me its only a matter of prefference, but does it matter on this style... the recipe is below

Irish moss - gonna try that this batch.. 1 tsp at flame out and let the funnel screen catch it right?

Heres the recipe... thanks again everyone this is a great place
8oz Victory Malt
15.5 lb Golden Promise
2oz Black roasted barely
8oz brown malt
1lb cara pils
1oz kent golding @ 60
.75oz ken golding @ 15
*** im thinking of adding that last 1/4oz at 5 for aroma - can i get some thoughts ***
Wyest 1728 (scottish ale)

A little confused about that first question... It sounds like you were going to mix star san with your wort?

Here's what I do: I buy 1 gallon of distilled water, mix in the (6 ml I think...) of star san, and then fill up a spray bottle with it. I set the rest of the gallon to the side for when I run out in the spray bottle. Then I just spray everything I want to sanitize, including buckets, carboys, etc. I usually swish around the star san that collects at the bottom about 1 minute before I am ready to fill the bucket/carboy.

Smack packs can be smacked the day before. Some people even smack 2 or 3 days before.

Not sure about the other questions.

:mug:

I couldn't figure out what you were asking about the star san switch.

I usually pull the smack pack from the fridge about 6-8 hours before I plan to pitch, and then smack the pack when I am gathering everything before I start the boil. It usually ends up being about 3 hours before I pitch that the yeast is going. It has been plenty long enough for me, as the pack is under some serious pressure at that point for me.

I've never left a beer in primary for less than 3 weeks. Of course, I have only brewed 5 beers, but I have left them all in primary for anywhere from 3-6 weeks.

I have used the irish moss twice. Both times I put it in with 10 minutes left. I didn't strain it though. I'm curious as to the appropriate method for using this stuff.

What I found to be the best way to use starsan is to mix it up in a spray bottle. Then, you don't need to waste 5 gallons of the stuff to sanitize a fermenter. Just take you bottle and spray everything down that you need to sanitize. It works on contact, so any that's not actually touching what you want sanitized is wasted. 10 ounces or so last me several brew days.

Ok so use the star san in a spary bottle on evrything i need, spray a liberal coating and it will start foaming? i guess i should just go play with some stuff

When I use irish moss I go with a tbs per 5G. It's more than they say but it's worked real well. I just recently switched to wirlfloc but haven't finished a batch that way yet. Once you put it in just don't worry about it. Put it in 10 mins before flame out and forget about it.

Ok so use the star san in a spary bottle on evrything i need, spray a liberal coating and it will start foaming? i guess i should just go play with some stuff

Starsan doesn't foam on contact like hydrogen peroxide does. It's more like soap. It forms foam as you agitate it. So, you spray it on and it makes bubbles and stuff, but it doesn't "start foaming".

I'm new, so this may not be "tried and true" but I went to the hardware store and bought a 5 gallon bucket (non food grade) with a top for cheap. Mixed 1 ounce star san with 5G water. It says it keeps a while closed, so I fill up spray bottles, and my vinator off that. Then I use that bucket to do my sanitizing in (spoon, spigot, hose, airlock, etc). Also dump some into the primaries and 5G carboy and swirl it around real well.

Can't help with the others, but hope that was somewhat useful

Good advice offered here.
Just keep in mind the spray bottle of starsan can only sanitize what you spray. Obviously no good for the inside of a carboy :)
You can and should leave the wee heavy on the yeast cake for a month - only good things will happen to the flavor. After that, I'd rack to a secondary for the long term aging.

When I mix up a 32oz spray bottle I use a 1½ cc of starsan. I use a syringe and I take the needle off so it will draw the fluid to measure.

Good advice offered here.
Just keep in mind the spray bottle of starsan can only sanitize what you spray. Obviously no good for the inside of a carboy :)
You can and should leave the wee heavy on the yeast cake for a month - only good things will happen to the flavor. After that, I'd rack to a secondary for the long term aging.

It works okay for the inside of a carboy. Just have to tilt as you spray and give it a swirl afterward to make sure everything is coated. Or you could just pour a bit in to swirl around too. But spraying works fine for me.

Or since it has a lovely 1/4 oz mark on that little compartment on top, you can just measure out slightly less than 1/4 oz (aka 1/5 oz) in one gallon of water. Same 1:5 ratio. I usually do that into the carboy, then shake the crap out of it, then pour it into another bucket and place a sanitized piece of aluminum foil over top of the carboy until time transfer the wort. That way I have a sanitized carboy and most of a gallon of sanitizer to use for the rest of my stuff. You can always add more water and star san if you need it.

I'm a little more liberal with my SS. I buy the big daddy 32oz from my LHBS for $20. I soak everything in a home depot bucket as well as use the spray bottle.

I'll sanitize my carboys first and transfer that SS into the bucket and let my equipment soak and keep the carboy sealed.

I don't compromise on sanitizing. It is the keystone of the whole process, why cut corners? I'd rather over kill than not do enough.

My 2 cents. There is no right or wrong, it whats works for you.

Smack packs I smack em and warm em at the same time about 6 - 8 hours before use. They are usually about to explode by then and with a 1.050-60 wort I start to get fermentation about 4-6 hours later.

I usually use a gallon of distilled water with 1 1/4tsp of star-san in it. Swirl it around to mix. Our tap water has been pretty good this year,& I had to use it to make more,having forgot to get the distilled water jug.
Worked well,& is still quite clear.
This way,I have only a gallon of sanitizer to store. Just fine to swish around in the cleaned FV,etc. Never an issue.

I usually use a gallon of distilled water with 1 1/4tsp of star-san in it. Swirl it around to mix. Our tap water has been pretty good this year,& I had to use it to make more,having forgot to get the distilled water jug.
Worked well,& is still quite clear.
This way,I have only a gallon of sanitizer to store. Just fine to swish around in the cleaned FV,etc. Never an issue.

:mug: Exactly what I do. I found that 1 gallon premixed (used with a spray bottles and the "swish" method) lasted through 3 brewing and 3 bottling sessions.

I also used tap water the second time, having forgotten the distilled water, and like uniondr, mine is still clear too. I actually bought those PH strips to test the star san when it's been sitting for a long time, and it tested perfect (high acidity).

I'm new, so this may not be "tried and true" but I went to the hardware store and bought a 5 gallon bucket (non food grade) with a top for cheap. Mixed 1 ounce star san with 5G water. It says it keeps a while closed, so I fill up spray bottles, and my vinator off that. Then I use that bucket to do my sanitizing in (spoon, spigot, hose, airlock, etc). Also dump some into the primaries and 5G carboy and swirl it around real well.

Can't help with the others, but hope that was somewhat useful
I actually do something similar though I use a food grade ale pail though I would use RO water if your storing it as depending on the ph of your water it may neitralize the acid action of starsan. Other than that I do it just like you.

Back