New to Wild Yeast -- few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbag3mang

Reaction score
While I have done a good number of brews, we are brand new to brewing with wild yeast, and had a few questions --

Right now, the plan is to make a 3 gallon experimental batch of a Saison, and co-pitch the Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) & the WLP645 (Brett C) (got the recipe from here).

I haven't really played with co-pitching yeast, especially with Brett, and wanted to know -- Should I pitch both yeasts at the same time, or should I pitch the 3724 and wait for it to mostly ferment out, and then pitch the 645 after?

Also, if I am doing a 3 gallon batch, mr malty says that for my o.g. I should use a 1L starter. However if the answer to the above question is that I should pitch them both at the same time, should I not make a starter (considering I am pitching twice as many yeast cells)?

Thanks for helping out a newbie who is trying hard not to be afraid of the Brett...but might still be a little bit afraid.

While I have done a good number of brews, we are brand new to brewing with wild yeast, and had a few questions --

Right now, the plan is to make a 3 gallon experimental batch of a Saison, and co-pitch the Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) & the WLP645 (Brett C) (got the recipe from here).

I haven't really played with co-pitching yeast, especially with Brett, and wanted to know -- Should I pitch both yeasts at the same time, or should I pitch the 3724 and wait for it to mostly ferment out, and then pitch the 645 after?

Also, if I am doing a 3 gallon batch, mr malty says that for my o.g. I should use a 1L starter. However if the answer to the above question is that I should pitch them both at the same time, should I not make a starter (considering I am pitching twice as many yeast cells)?

Thanks for helping out a newbie who is trying hard not to be afraid of the Brett...but might still be a little bit afraid.

I would say there will likely not be a huge difference, as 3724 will likely do a bulk of the fermenting, even if co-pitched. The Brett will do the heavy lifting on the back end, modify existing flavor compounds and finish the beer out.

One thing to keep in mind though is that co-pitching, you will NOT be pitching twice the cells. Wyeast 3724 has ~100 billion cells, and the WLP645 will only have ~2 billion cells. The Brett cell count is lower, but more than enough to achieve what you want it to over the aging process.

Cheers!

I find mash temp is a big part of sach and brett blending. What is your mash temp?

Brett actually doesn't need many sugars to have an effect on the flavor profile. It's more about the modification of existing flavor components than metabolism of sugars when it comes to creating Brett character, and that has a lot to do with selection of the Saccharomyces strain. That's pretty clear when you look at Brettanomyces in primary vs. secondary.

To answer your question though, I mash anywhere between 150 and 154 F. With the Brett around though, it's always gonna get a little drier regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back