New to the forum.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KA6GZJ

Reaction score
Just found this forum last week and wanted to say hi.
I've been brewing about 6yrs. all extract brews and put my(hopefully) last one in the freminter yesterday.
I have finially finished my rims and now Im ready to imbark on all grain brewing so my mind is a wirlwind of questions.:confused: So as brew day gets closer I may be asking some dandys.

Cheers,:mug: Jim

Drink all your extract brews before drinking any of your AG ones. If you don't you may throw them all down the drain. I was lucky in that I had almost all of mine gone except for a few stouts which were too good to throw out.
And Jim, ask all the questions you want for that is the only way everyone here can share their experiences with you.

Drink all your extract brews before drinking any of your AG ones. If you don't you may throw them all down the drain.

first welcome to a most enjoyable addiction

second i would tend to disagree somewhat strongly with the degradation of extract beer. yes i know you get better control in a partial or full ag - but i have brewed and have tasted some most excellent extract beers that rival some of the ag i have tasted as well.

brewhead said:

second i would tend to disagree somewhat strongly with the degradation of extract beer. yes i know you get better control in a partial or full ag - but i have brewed and have tasted some most excellent extract beers that rival some of the ag i have tasted as well.
The "trick" is to refridgerate them so they stop fermenting and don't get cidery.:D

boo boo said:
Drink all your extract brews before drinking any of your AG ones. If you don't you may throw them all down the drain. I was lucky in that I had almost all of mine gone except for a few stouts which were too good to throw out.

For some people it seems as if their AG bathes are better than their Extract batches. This may actually be true but the reason is usually not going AG but having gained brewing exprience and they are still on the steep curve of improvement that happens during their first batches.

At least that's how I explain the improvement of my batches since I went to AG after only a few extract batches.

Kai

brewhead said:

The thing is, I don't get fresh extract here, and that is all the difference in the world when it comes to great taste. I have never brewed a great extract beer, rather they were OK. I now regularly ( in my own mind anyway ) brew great all grain brews.

i agree it is definitely an addiction(both the brewing and this site)
i used to buy a 6 pack per week
now i have 30+ gallons either bottled or fermenting
i enjoy the brewing more than the drinking so my friends are getting the benefit
as long as they supply me with clean empty bottles
enjoy!

Hello Jim -

I have just recently started All-Grain brewing. It's easier than it sounds trust me! It's alot harder to make a good spagetti sause than to brew beer. You will fine some improvement in the taste and maybe feel of your brews.

If you've done a particial mash/steeped grain brews and noted the difference it'll be like that. Each step up brings you closer to full flavored freshness and of course that will be noted in the flavor of you brew. This doesn't mean your extract brews will taste bad after All-grain just different.

:mug:

Have Fun!
Debi

KA6GZJ said:
Just found this forum last week and wanted to say hi.
I've been brewing about 6yrs. all extract brews and put my(hopefully) last one in the freminter yesterday.
I have finially finished my rims and now Im ready to imbark on all grain brewing so my mind is a wirlwind of questions.:confused: So as brew day gets closer I may be asking some dandys.

Cheers,:mug: Jim

My first home brew ever was an extract. All brews after have been AG. Not only is it more fun, I think I get better beer with AG.

Back