New to sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isac777

Reaction score
I just have a quickie. Can I take half of my saison from my 10 gallon fermenter and add a rose. smack pack to itin a carboy? will it produce a decent sour over time with out temp control (fluctuating from 65-75F) over a year.A guy in my club said you want to pitch bugs at about the time your primary yeast is starting to fizzle out is that correct? thanks for the replies

He's correct...but it depends on how sour you want it. If you want REALLY sour, you should pitch the bugs from the start. I usually wait until my beer is about 80% done fermenting and then I'll add lacto, pedio, and brett. At this point, the bugs probably won't have much to work with, so there's no telling how sour it will get.

Conditioning time isn't a factor since most sours are brewed according to the seasons. Keeping them in a climate controlled room for 1-3 years would be a waste of energy.

Back