New to pressure fermenting. Am I planning this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
I just got a couple 7.9 gallon all-rounders, and I want to make sure I understand this all correctly. My biggest fear here is how much CO2 is generated during fermentation. FYI, I’m coming from buckets and carboys.

1) Transfer wort to the all-rounder, pitch yeast, and seal it up with an air lock. I’m assuming that you need to ferment for some period of time to guarantee the headspace is all CO2.
2) Install a jumper from gas side of fermenter to the gas side of corney keg filled with starsan. Beer side of corney keg use hose to go to empty bucket.
3) Once starsan is pushed out of corney keg, put spunding valve on keg set to 14 psi or so. Probably switch jumper to the beer side, valve on gas side.
4)Once fermentation is complete jumper from beer out on fermenter to beer out on keg. Get siphon started and attach keg gas in to fermenter gas in.

IDK how much CO2 it takes for all of those steps, but it seems like a lot. I’m sure OG plays a part in this.

Pretty much what I've been doing for a few brews now, only I sanitise the keg and empty it of sanitiser before hooking it up to the FV. CO2 from the fermentation is going to purge air from the keg, with a dip tube going to the bottom of the keg. I connect the FV 'in' to the keg 'out' and fix a spunding valve on the keg 'in'. Swap to FV out (fed by a floating dip tube) when ready to transfer. Even with small beers/low OG there's going to be more than enough CO2 produced. If you had spare empty kegs you could daisy chain them. An additional keg of CO2 helps complete the transfer. You could probably collect some for serving too?

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

Back