New to Kegging - Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmatejka

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I spent a couple hours reading last night and I found a lot of information regarding force carbonating. What seemed to evade me was a good explanation of other methods.
What I want to know is: given that I want 8-10psi of CO2 in my stout or ale and it is in the kegerator at around 38-40 degrees, can I just attach my gas line with the regulator delivering 10-12psi and have a carbonated beer in a week or two without "force cabonating"? I know I can roll and shake it all up, but I would like to know if just leaving it will allow the chilled beer to absorb CO2 from the headspace.

* I did NOT prime the batches in the keg, so I am relying strictly on CO2.

Thanks in advance,
Wes

yes, you absolutely can do it that way. it gives the beer time to condition also, it's my preferred method if i'm not in a hurry to drink the beer. just attach at serving pressure and let it go, aka the "set it and forget it" method.

Sure but it will be a little flat after 1 week. Pretty good by 2 weeks, and perfect by 3 weeks. You could always kick start by going 30psi for 1 day or 20 psi for 2 days. Might cut off a week from your time table and not really risk over-carbing.

Given the 2-3 week period, I just prime with sugar now (2-3 oz). I only have room for 1 keg in my fridge, so it's just easier.

That is the way I always do it. I usually set mine around 12 psi and give it two weeks before taping into it. The extra time also allows the beer to clear more. Most of the yeast will come out with the first pint.

Thanks all. Great ideas. For the first 2 kegs I gave em 20psi for 2 days, then set it down to 10-12psi and added a 3rd at 12 psi. All are pretty well carbonated and tasting great. What a time saver over bottles and thanks again for the ideas.

Anytime you are carbing up with the co2 bottle you are force carbonating. The flavor seems to improve after the second week at least for me.

Back