New to hops growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTolino

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to hops growing, and need a little help. I just bought 8 hops rhizomes, 2 centennial, 2 magnum, 2 nugget and 2 cascade. I am in northeast pa, in the lehigh valley area. My family owns, a vineyard, so I have access to trellis supplies and equipment, but I'm not sure about the height, or spacing for hops. Also I'm unsure of where to plant them, should the tow be planted north to south, allowing for the winds coming out of the west to dry them after rain fall? Or should the row be planted easy to west? Any help would be appreciated. Also the rhizomes are still in my fridge, as I am unsure as to when to put them in the ground.

Thanks

I am in PA also, good choices for the area. The rhizomes can go in the ground now if you want. Trellis height that I us is 16" and the spacing 2 between bines of the same variety an 4 between varieties. My wind here goes west to east and ideally you want the row oriented in that direction so when they are full grown they do not act as a sail when it is high winds (I wish I knew that when I started) Hope it helps!

Thanks! I appreciate the info, I wasn't sure about the rows. In our vineyard they are planted north to south so they get good wind drainage to dry off the vines to help keep down downy and powdery mildew. What did you use for your end posts and spacing between rhizome plantings?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429039502.621455.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429039554.655832.jpg
Just planted the Rhizomes today. I just decided to use the fence post and put up some twine as trellising for now. Just to see how it goes. I was going to put up actual trellis, but was worried about deer getting after them. This way they are inside the vineyard but not taking up any extra space. Hopefully I don't have any problems. Do you spray your hops with anything to keep downy and powdery mildew away?

View attachment 271039View attachment 271040
Just planted the Rhizomes today. I just decided to use the fence post and put up some twine as trellising for now. Just to see how it goes. I was going to put up actual trellis, but was worried about deer getting after them. This way they are inside the vineyard but not taking up any extra space. Hopefully I don't have any problems. Do you spray your hops with anything to keep downy and powdery mildew away?

I hope for you that you are only planning to brew an IPA with mixed hops. Otherwise, you will cry at harvest time to separate varieties. ;)

They are a further apart than they look. The rebar us just giving a rough estimate of where each one is.

Side arms can reach 2 feets, plus when the main bine will reach the top of your fence, they will start to twist in all direction looking for something to grab. They will twist all together. Anyway, you should be fixed near the end of June about it. Worst case, you will have to relocate them next year with more space between crowns.

Have fun and happy growing season ! :mug:

What's the spacing that should be used between the rhizomes? I just put them in yesterday, so I could move them still. What would you recommend?

2-3' between the same varieties and 4-5 between different varieties so they do not intermingle they are hard to separate at harvest time.

Alright, I think I might move two varieties to separate plots tomorrow. They were just planted yesterday do you think it would hurt them?

Then I think that's what I'll do. I might bolt a metal post on top of the fence post to get better height as well

Hahah I used a backhoe so each of the two new beds was a bucket full of dirt.

Back